Game Won't Start

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: MASTERBLARG

MASTERBLARG
8 years ago#1
Is anyone having a problem where the game won't even start? I click to open (both from launcher and directly) and the screen starts to adjust like it's about to start, goes black, and then goes back to desktop. There's no error or problems, it just unloads.

I'm running windows 7 32 bit, fully updated all drivers and directx. I've even tried messing with the pirated crack that's out there to see if it's just the DRM. Anyone having this problem or know of a solution? I've tried administrative and compatability modes, nothing seems to make a difference.

MASTERBLARG
8 years ago#2
So I'm the only one having this problem then? Or am I the only one using Windows 7? This would be the first game that it's given me problems with, all the other new games seem to work fine.

User Info: albel112

albel112
8 years ago#3
i have win 7 beta and works like a dream :D

MASTERBLARG
8 years ago#4
Wow... no problems at all? That sucks. I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times. Even tried using the default directory. Always the same problem, game fires up, goes black, and drops back to desktop. Guess I'll have to see if they let me take it back and get it on PS3.

User Info: LightningWEI

LightningWEI
8 years ago#5
I have problem starting as well. The game just stops working as soon as it's about to enter the menu screen

MASTERBLARG
8 years ago#6
I've read on the official forum that this problem is caused by a sound card issue. Mainly appearing with Realtek hardware. The problem is solvable in windows XP. However there is no solution for Vista or Windows 7.

User Info: pezstah

pezstah
8 years ago#7

What official forum? I have the same problem, please explain about the solution?

MASTERBLARG
8 years ago#8
Taken directly from Activision's support site.

Turn the hardware acceleration for your sound card to Basic.
1) Click the Start button > Settings > Control Panel.
2) Double-click on the Multimedia icon.
3) Select the Audio tab.
4) Click on the Advanced Properties button in the Playback section.
5) Click on the Performance tab.
6) Reduce the Hardware acceleration to Basic, the 2nd notch from the left.
7) Click Apply and then OK 2 times. Run the game now. Don't forget to turn the acceleration back up to restore the high-end features for your sound card when using other applications.

Again, this works only in XP. Vista and Windows 7 don't have this option, and lowering audio quality doesn't help.

User Info: KeithB139

KeithB139
8 years ago#9
Tell me do you have any virtual hard drives if so disable them that causes the secu rom cd authentication to mess up this happened to me i contacted customer service sent them me dxDiag thing they said i had to disable all my virtual cd roms(which i used to mount iso's) since you said you had a cracked version which means you'd prolly have virtual hard drives if that doesnt work tell me your graphics card :P

MASTERBLARG
8 years ago#10
Nope, doesn't work. It's also not my graphics card. I've already been over it extensively with their customer service since I can't return my copy.

The problem is because the game doesn't work well with audio hardware acceleration. Which is why the problem has a solution in windows XP. In Vista and higher hardware acceleration isn't configurable, it's handled differently. So since I use a high end 7.1 surround sound card I can't play until they patch the game.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived