• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
  3. What are some good pokemon to recruit while playing through the story?

User Info: TrueArchery

TrueArchery
2 months ago#1
Title. I'm replaying (well, I played EoT before...) the game, #quarantine, and I haven't really found anything about this topic yet so why not ask myself.
To make sure that there are no misunderstandings, this is not taking massive IQ boosting or anything endgame into account, just stuff that's good with no to minimal investment! Where exactly you get it, super early, in the midgame or rather late, doesn't really matter, but the earlier the better of course.
Maybe relevant, I play as Riolu and my partner is Shinx.

User Info: md_master123

md_master123
1 month ago#2
https://syphist.com/pmd/explorers/wondermail.html

use this website and get gliscor it will cover your weakness to flying and ground and then get some golden seeds it will in creace your lv by 5 each

User Info: md_master123

md_master123
1 month ago#3
and ginsing to increace the power of a move

User Info: Jundavr

Jundavr
1 month ago#4
I got two suggestions for you:

First: Psyduck. You find them at Waterfall Cave. It has extremely good stats and its ability lock the weather on clear, which is always good and specially useful in the desert stages, since it negates Sandshrew/slash evasion boost on sandstorms.

Your Shinx probably has your room sweeping needs covered with Discharge but that's only a dozens levels later. That's why I also recommend recruiting a Smeargle from Foggy Forest and teaching it Sweet Scent and Powder Snow, and linking both. Smeargle's ability Technician will boost Powder Snow since it has low power, and in doing so will increase damage dealt by a whopping 50%, making it an accurate and strong room ranged damage.

Sweet Scent isn't only to guarantee the hit: the AI only uses some room wide moves when enemies are 2 squares nearby, which is the case for Discharge and Powder Snow. I call these short trigger room sweepers.
For some reason, other room wide moves, like Silver Wind and Sweet Scent, are programmed to be used as long as there's a valid target, even if they're 10 squares away. These are long trigger room sweepers.
By linking Sweet Scent to Powder Snow, you make it a reliable long trigger room sweeper. Just try to predict monster houses before entering them (like watching for gummies laying around), and mess with the tactics so Smeargle enters the room first, and you're golden, since it'll most likely one shot all the baddies, and freeze a bunch if not.

Jundavr
1 month ago#5
By the way, Powder Snow can be sketched at Marowak's dojo's ice maze

User Info: TrueArchery

TrueArchery
1 month ago#6
Good suggestions, Discharge is also kind of crappy in dungeons with Lightning Rod pokemon so it's one of my least favourite room wide moves.

I can just add something myself to the list I suppose, Oddish is pretty good. It learns Sweet Scent and various - when linked very accurate - powder moves that can trivialize (mini)bosses and keep it safe in general due to the AoE. Spammable STAB moves, Absorb/Mega/Gigadrain doubling as recovery. Unfortunately no easily accessible ranged attacks.
And that line becomes a good sun abuser which was originally something I had planned for the postgame with Cherrim, but Cherrim being ** size (presumably because of its ability Flower Gift) was super disappointing because I wanted to use that plus Drought Groudon and a (physical) Chlorophyll pokemon. Goddammit. I'm re-thinking that concept, I might slap 1-2 Sunny Day users on that team instead of using Groudon...

Jundavr
1 month ago#7
I didn't really pay attention to Oddish before, guess I'll try grinding one up and see how it turns out. I even got one that knows Synthesis from an egg.

The real bummer with limiting weather combos in this game is that Castform is **** so you can't effectively build a versatile weather team around it. Also, no TM Sunny Day nor Rain Dance.

If you want to abuse sunny day, Jumpluff is pretty good, since it has both Leaf Guard and Chlorophyll. Might go well with a Cherrim, too. Just take care for the now boosted fire moves.

Another suggestion, but not really linked to story progression: if you get Lush Prairie from Spinda Cafe you could also try a Yanma.

The ability CompoundEyes is extremely broken and makes pretty much everything hit because the way the game calculates boosted accuracy is unbalanced. It also gets the Concentrator IQ skill, but that might be overkill, unless you have Silver Wind.

On Yanma's natural moveset is also U-turn and Air Slash, two very good STAB moves that will now never miss.

If you get your hands on a TM Silver Wind you're now the monster house destroyer, since it will always hit and very likely give you another turn due to speed boost. Sadly, these TMs are extremely rare in the pre-ending, and are rare even after. Your best bet would be checking the purple Kecleon every day and trying your luck with Prism Tickets.

If you get your Yanma from an egg, however, it might come already knowing Silver Wind, but that's even harder to grind than the TM. An egg Yanma might also come with the godsend Leech Life, but that'd be more useful when you're grinding at the late game and just don't want to bother with food.

I know I wrote a lot about it already, but the real way Yanma breaks the game is through the exclusive items:
1- The ** bug type item prevents status change during clear weather (free Safeguard)
2- The ** flying type item boosts speed by 1 during clear weather
3- The Yanma species item protects it from weather damage, or so it says, but it actually makes the game treat the weather as clear for Yanma. That means that no matter the weather you get the bonus from the two ** items, without having to hold anything

Jundavr
1 month ago#8
Even without the specific perks of Yanma, just having a pokemon with CompundEyes is strong. Butterfree is available early, and Nincada can be recruited during your one time visit to Quicksand Cave.
Butterfree has status powders, and Nincada has Fury Swipes

User Info: tonicpalin

tonicpalin
1 month ago#9
Imo, unless you purposely chose starters that lack ranged and area effect moves, most of the Pokémon you can recruit earlier aren't really useful.

Starters are very much overpowered in this game. Rare legendaries/pseudo legendaries are still strong but they either get nerfed stats AND/OR cost a lot more XP to level up.
WELCOME TO PALIN'S TRAVELS-Michael Palin, 25th September 2002.
https://www.palinstravels.co.uk/static-97

User Info: Baconfry

Baconfry
1 month ago#10
Jundavr posted...
Your best bet would be checking the purple Kecleon every day and trying your luck with Prism Tickets.

The TM U-Turn cannot be obtained from Prism Tickets (or prize tickets of any kind).

The Yanma species item protects it from weather damage, or so it says, but it actually makes the game treat the weather as clear for Yanma. That means that no matter the weather you get the bonus from the two ** items, without having to hold anything

That's the Weather Band you're thinking of. Regrettably, Yanma's exclusive item does exactly what it says it does. Instead of spamming you with messages saying that Yanma took weather damage, the game instead spams you with messages saying that Yanma didn't take weather damage. Awful, awful item. Yanma's still a great teammate, though.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
  3. What are some good pokemon to recruit while playing through the story?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A