• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
  3. How Accuracy/Evasion modifiers truly work in PMD2

User Info: FatRatKnight

FatRatKnight
2 months ago#21
Is there a 51/256 modifier for sufficiently high evasion? Having something just shy of 20% would drop the 5% rate to zero after a round down. I want to theorize it's possible to get 100% evasion against Rescue Team's OHKO moves and Explorer's Perish Song, without having to throw Sand Attack as well.

I've finally gotten around to submitting updates for my guides. There's a lot of changes I've been meaning to make, so it's not just the accuracy info that's getting changes.

For now, I just want to math out a few numbers.

_88.00% (100/_88) - Most moves are like this.
100.00% (125/110) - User has Concentrator.
_55.30% (_79/_70) - Target has Concentrator + Clutch Performer at low HP.
_86.13% (_99/_87) - Concentrator versus Concentrator + Clutch Performer.
_70.20% (_90/_78) - Target has Quick Dodger.
_97.00% (112/_97) - Concentrator versus Quick Dodger.
_44.02% (_71/_62) - Very smart Group D at low HP.
_68.53% (_89/_77) - Concentrator versus intelligent low HP Group D.
_67.00% Versus Intimidator. (assumed it's exactly 33% activation rate rather than 1/3 or 30% activation rates)
_37.05% Versus intelligent low HP Group C using a close range move.
_57.71% Concentrator versus intelligent low HP Group C using a close range move.

Some of those percents are looking awful scary. I'm just glad smart enemies don't commonly show up.
Please be specific when titling topics. I want to know what it's about before I click it!
If there's spoilers involved, feel free to remain ambiguous!

User Info: ZappedAmpharos

ZappedAmpharos
2 months ago#22
To evade OHKO/Perish Song completely, equipping a Detect Band on a Pokémon with Quick Dodger in either game is already enough. There shouldn't be much of a need for extra Evasion through a modifier unless it's desired the hold item slot is left free (maybe one wants to run Sky Gem-Masquerain and needs the hold item slot for a Weather Band instead?).

If it has to be achieved through Evasion though, +9 gives a 51 / 256 modifier. +10 (38 / 256) is needed when the target runs Concentrator while it's impossible to get 100 % Evasion when both run Concentrator due to Evasion capping at +9 when running Concentrator.

FatRatKnight
2 months ago#23
The Detect Band is a spot of extra info I'd like to know. After all, my guide does talk about items on occasion, like Scope Lens and Lock-On Specs. I request numbers, as I don't know where to look for reliable numbers at the moment.

It'll also be another thing to add to my list of accuracy percents I produced in my last post.
Please be specific when titling topics. I want to know what it's about before I click it!

FatRatKnight
2 months ago#24
So, since that guide has Rescue Team numbers, I note Detect Band drops another 30. Between that and Rescue Team's Quick Dodger, that's -60 straight off the move's accuracy. For the 100/100 damage moves, that means we just casually drop 84% off their accuracy. And anything xx/60 or less just don't hit. Ever. Sounds like a practical immunity to a fair number of multihit moves, to say nothing about just how overwhelming it is to the OHKO moves.

I'm guessing Detect Band is also a tamer -10, just like Quick Dodger's change? Still enough to scrape out those OHKO attacks from ever landing. And -20/-20 means the 100/88 moves are now 80/68, hitting 54.4% of the time.

On a side thought, since the female bonus no longer applies with non-zero stage adjustment to accuracy and evasion, that means a female in Groups CD is strictly inferior to a male from said groups, once Concentrator is gained. The female won't benefit from the 105% accuracy boost, as Concentrator gives +1 accuracy, while the 103% evasion penalty wouldn't apply either, as Concentrator also gives -1 evasiveness. And after Clutch Performer, we still wouldn't be at zero evasiveness stages for the 103% evasion penalty anyway, so therefore the only gender difference left would be the critical hit rate adjustment, where male is superior.

Of course, we can also talk about Sand Attack and Double Team, but that's more of an exception, not the norm.

ZappedAmpharos
2 months ago#25
Detect Band is still the all-mighty -30 and it stacks with Quick Dodger. I noticed that when doing a test against Mime Jr's. heal beam. (Yeah, that thing only has 100 % accuracy coded instead of Sure Hit)

Something else I noticed a while ago: Inner Focus blocks Intimidator completely. Never did my Dragonite have to suffer from getting blocked by Intimidator and I used this thing for months now. I don't know how it reacts against Mold Breaker + Initimidator though. That makes Inner Focus fairly special because not even the gems can do that.

(Sorry for late reply, but better late than never?)
(edited 2 months ago)

FatRatKnight
1 month ago#26
That was pretty late. But still appreciated. Knowing Detect Band is still -30 means I have data to do one more update to my guide. Before, I could only guess if it followed Quick Dodger to -10, or stayed at -30, and I don't like adding guesses to my guide if I can help it. Part of the reason why one guide was entirely without the friendliness percentages for Fast Friend, and the other warned the numbers were not at all confirmed. At least, until I got accurate numbers, where I then wrote it to both guides.

So, with Detect Band alone, OHKO is not a problem. Dropping 100/88 moves to 70/58 seems like a funny way to ignore more than half of those attacks at 40.60% chance to be hit, and Quick Dodger pushing this to 60/48 just crushes it down to 28.80%. At this point, Concentrator's 135% penalty would get us back up to 80/64, a mere 51.2% hit rate. I mean, Concentrator's evasiveness penalty would mean we take nearly twice as many hits here, but I'll still happily take the guarantees Concentrator gives when attacking enemies. Mixing Clutch Performer in that entire mess drops it to 47/38, or 17.86% chance to be hit by a 100/88 attack. The 135% to 80% swing is... well, a swing. Pray enemies don't pick up a Detect Band.

Oh, Inner Focus stops Intimidator? Strange. I'm guessing your Dragonite was in the few dungeons where Intimidator was a problem, and you noted the teammates you brought were losing turns and PP to Intimidator just fine. This is highly unexpected, I may want to dust off the cobwebs on my game and seek out things with Inner Focus and see if sitting there taking attacks will ever see one interrupted. Well, I'd have to track down the ones with Inner Focus, first. Or summon a fugitive by Wonder Mail, that's another possibility.

User Info: tonicpalin

tonicpalin
4 days ago#27
ZappedAmpharos posted...
1) If a target is Male or Genderless and has an Evasion modifier of 0, both accuracy values will be multiplied by 263/256 for that target only.
2) If the user is Female and has an Accuracy modifier of 0, both accuracy values will be multiplied by 268/256.

huh? so females are slightly more accurate than males/genderless? i never read this anywhere. then again i never used concentrator , or most status effects moves anyway.
WELCOME TO PALIN'S TRAVELS-Michael Palin, 25th September 2002.
https://www.palinstravels.co.uk/static-97

ZappedAmpharos
2 days ago#28
Yes, that is what it says. The reason this is barely known is it's a rather new discovery, about 7 months as of March 2020.

The game internally uses two tables for the accuracy modifier. One is used if the user is Male/Genderless and the other one if the user is Female. The two tables contain 21 numbers each which determine the multiplication of accuracy, representing the stages -10 to +10.
The two tables are identical except entry #11 which represents stage +/-0.

On the table used by males/genderless that entry reads 00 01 00 00 (reads 0x0100 or dec 256) while on the table for females it reads 0c 01 00 00 (0x010C or dec 268). The denominator is always 256, so you get x 256/256 for male/genderless Pokémon and x 268/256 for female Pokémon.
(edited 2 days ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
  3. How Accuracy/Evasion modifiers truly work in PMD2
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A