• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. OutRun Online Arcade
  3. My brief Outrun2 SP PS2 review

User Info: isamu

isamu
6 years ago#1
Well whaddaya know...a thread that's actually on topic LOL. Anyway I have finally gotten around to playing my copy of OutRun 2SP for the Japanese PS2. This is a lost gem that has been sitting on my shelf collecting dust since what....2006(?). Welp, thanks to the wonderful folks behind the PS2 emulator PCSX2, this game now runs well in emulation! I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am that I can play this version of the game. Let's go down the list of reasons shall we?

A)This version has FFB support. This is the very first time that I have played OR2006 with ffb since playing on my original Xbox 1 many years ago. The ffb isn't true ffb per se, but it's basically rumble when hitting rails, walls, other cars and going over rough surfaces. That is good enough for me! All I ever wanted was to play the game with some sort of vibration effects and now I can finally do so. The experience without it is unfulfilling to say the least.

B)The analog steering: My God! If there is ANY area where this port shines, it's in this category! The analog steering is in a word...PERFECT!!! Remember when I told you guys how I felt the analog steering in the PC version of 2006 felt OK and that there was nothing abnormal about it? Boy was I wrong! Driving the cars in the PC version feels like driving boats in comparison. Yes, The deadzone in the PC version can be dialed down, but it's the way the cars steer around the track that is funky, and not quite right. There is NO such issue with the PS2 Import. The steering is very responsive and upon playing the game I immediately found myself catching slides and performing drifts in a manner that instantly reminded me of the old Xbox days. Drifting is so tight and precise. I can even take Coniferous Forest in the Dino 246 GTS without issue, where as before on the PC version I'd always struggle in the esses and eat the rails. Man, what a difference this version makes in terms of control. Simply amazing!

C)Graphics: Believe it or not, the PS2 version of OR2SP looks very good when ran in the PCSX2 emulator. Depending on your PC specs, you can run the game at 3x its native resolution and it looks just as good and in some cases better than the PC version!!! Seriously. The game runs very smooth on my rig for the most part but there is some stutters here and there particularly during collisions with rails, etc. Otherwise I am very happy with the graphics and I'm still tweaking the settings and options in PCSX2 to try and get of the stutters.

D)Sound: This was a big surprise! The sound effects in this version is INCREDIBLE and DESTROYS the PC version by a country mile! The PC version sounds terrible, simply because you can barely hear the engine when racing. It's very faint and is always drowned out by the wind and crash effects. The PS2 version however, is mixed beautifully and the engine roars throughout whole stage and sounds fantastic. Great job here!

5)Last but not least, I'll just talk about the overall benefit of playing this game on an emulator rather than the actual PC version:

If you want to play the PC version with a steering wheel, the amount of hoops you have to jump through as well as the amount of bugs you have to put up with is staggering. I won't go over all the problems but suffice it to say the PC port is shoddy and is a bugged filled mess. The JPN Import PS2 version on the other hand, is coded beautifully. The entire game is in Japanese(duh) but I have been able to navigate and tweak my wheel and other settings without issue. I played the game for about two hours today and it hasn't crashed ONCE. Additionally, I can simply jump in the emulator and load a save state that puts me RIGHT in the game before the track loads in seconds! This is amazingly convenient especially compared to how long I had to wait before when playing the PC....
OR 2006: Coast2Coast city here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

isamu
6 years ago#2
Bottomline is, the Japanese version of OR2SP is a SUPERB port!!! I was quite ready to hang up my OR2 Jacket and my love for this game was waning fast. I've barely played it because the PC version is such a jumbled mess. But now that I have ripped my disc of the JPN PS2 version to my hard drive and can now play it on PC via emulation, I have rekindled my love for this game big time! I had an ear to ear grin on my face as I slid through all the corners of the tracks in OR2SP.

The game, at its core, is still a hell of a fun game and this PS2 port solidifies its rank as one of the best ports of OR2SP/2006 on ANY console! From what I understand this version was ported not by Sumo Digital but from Sega AM2 themselves and it shows. If you own a PS2 or a capable PC you owe it to yourself to track down the JPN Import version of OR2SP. This will be my definitive go to version of the game from now on. Double click PCSX2.exe and I'm on the track in less than three seconds....you simply can't beat that!!!

User Info: Noobsaibot_21

Noobsaibot_21
6 years ago#3
Nice review Isamu and broadly accurate too. With OR2006 C2C Xbox live ended, this is now the definitive one to get. It really just is. I presume this was played on the ECCI setup you have?

One thing I would state is that the game does have proper FFB as it was 100% designed for the Logitech GT Pro wheel for PS2. Not sure if it's a driver issue or whatever but the game definitely does have FFB on that wheel.

I have the original jPS2 game and it doesn't look as good as emulation would so I simply cant wait to get my PC gaming rig going. Once I have that, i'm done with PS3 and the rubbish controller, Xbox 360 and its poor, underpowered hardware and crappy Kinect and most of all, bye bye Online subscription fees. :)

Have been thinking of this for a while now but this year's E3 has given me the nudge (the shove, really). Wii U looks total pants, Playstation's plans were fairly dull and Microsoft seem to have totally abandoned gamers altogether. Halo (again), Gears (again), Forza (again) and..... ?

Few things excited me more than Watch Dogs at this years e3. And I don't thing 360 will be able to get anywhere near that demo. I'm just generally tired of Microsoft essentially deciding what I want for me. I don't recall wanting to be patronised with metro dashboards, stupid kinect games and "TV.... on my TV" crap. Done with them.

Anyway, rant about console gaming ahead over.

And as for you Isamu....... when are you going to show us Model 3 running on your ECCI setup? :-)
King....... Of the kingdom of "Other Europe"

User Info: model3

model3
6 years ago#4
awesome, nice review! yep, i played my OR2SP jp ps2 game back......Winter07/Spring08, very cool title.

it is fun to own all versions of outrun2006! phenomenal game. no doubt. game for the ages.
XBL & PSN: AM2Model3
DaytonaUSA XBLA/PSN AfterburnerClimax XBLA/PSN L.A.Machineguns Wii

isamu
6 years ago#5
Thanks guys. @Noob...

Noobsaibot_21 posted...
I presume this was played on the ECCI setup you have?

Yup. The works very well and feels just like the arcade analog steering-wise.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Noobsaibot_21 posted...One thing I would state is that the game does have proper FFB as it was 100% designed for the Logitech GT Pro wheel for PS2. Not sure if it's a driver issue or whatever but the game definitely does have FFB on that wheel.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Awesome. I'd like to be able to play the game on the real PS2 with a Logitech wheel just for comparison sake but I don't own a Logitech wheel. Maybe I'll grab one if I see it for cheap.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Noobsaibot_21 posted...And as for you Isamu....... when are you going to show us Model 3 running on your ECCI setup? :-)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'd love to man but I need to save up and get a new videocamera first. The one I had that I used to record the other video broke :(

User Info: Noobsaibot_21

Noobsaibot_21
6 years ago#6
Samsung Galaxy S III or something would be fine for filming it. :)

As for the PS2 Logitech driving force Pro wheel, this can be had for cheap enough:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-PS2-Logitech-Driving-Force-Pro-Force-Feedback-Wheel-and-Pedals-box-rough-/330746286473?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item4d0203d189#ht_6001wt_1110

http://www.amazon.com/Driving-Force-Wheel-PlayStation-3/dp/B0000DC64H/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1340293503&sr=8-6&keywords=PS2+logitech+pro

Hardest part is finding a copy of the game itself and getting a modded PS2 (A mod chip or swap magic) will save you having to buy an import and a trying to actually find the game. I already had a japanese PS2 so didn't have this problem. And for extra nerd points, I bought it in Softmap, Akihabara, Tokyo. :D
King....... Of the kingdom of "Other Europe"

User Info: model3

model3
6 years ago#7
nice noobsaibot! major props! ( i have tokyo japan/akihabara bought game goods too) = )
XBL & PSN: AM2Model3
DaytonaUSA XBLA/PSN AfterburnerClimax XBLA/PSN L.A.Machineguns Wii

isamu
6 years ago#8
Noobsaibot_21 posted...
Samsung Galaxy S III or something would be fine for filming it. :)

As for the PS2 Logitech driving force Pro wheel, this can be had for cheap enough:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-PS2-Logitech-Driving-Force-Pro-Force-Feedback-Wheel-and-Pedals-box-rough-/330746286473?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item4d0203d189#ht_6001wt_1110

http://www.amazon.com/Driving-Force-Wheel-PlayStation-3/dp/B0000DC64H/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1340293503&sr=8-6&keywords=PS2+logitech+pro

Hardest part is finding a copy of the game itself and getting a modded PS2 (A mod chip or swap magic) will save you having to buy an import and a trying to actually find the game. I already had a japanese PS2 so didn't have this problem. And for extra nerd points, I bought it in Softmap, Akihabara, Tokyo. :D

Good lookin' man I'll keep that in mind!
  1. Boards
  2. OutRun Online Arcade
  3. My brief Outrun2 SP PS2 review
  • Topic Archived