• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. OutRun Online Arcade
  3. Sega Europe to close? No more AAA Sega games on console?

User Info: Noobsaibot_21

Noobsaibot_21
6 years ago#1
This might well be the worst news I've heard since Dreamcast was discontinued :(

http://www.gamekyo.com/newsfr46962_sega-europe-devrait-annoncer-sa-fermeture.html

gamekyo wrote:

Sega Europe to announce its closing?
On the eve of E3 2012, we are able to inform you, according to our credible sources, that Sega Europe will be finally closed in the coming months as well as all the local branches in Europe like Sega France. This is partly a consequence of the ineffectiveness of Sega's strategy over the past several years of developing games by western developers. At the same time, Sega will also announce, according to these sources, they will no longer develop AAA games on consoles, but will focus on digital games, notably for cell phones and tablets. Sega's last big title developed by Creative Assembly will be presented at E3 2012 in a few days. Furthermore, remember that Sega has announced they will not be at Gamescom 2012.

I really hope this is bull otherwise a large piece of video gaming died for me today. :(
King....... Of the kingdom of "Other Europe"

User Info: model3

model3
6 years ago#2
i think they said it was a bad rumor!
XBL & PSN: AM2Model3
DaytonaUSA XBLA/PSN AfterburnerClimax XBLA/PSN L.A.Machineguns Wii

User Info: AlbertoFalcone

AlbertoFalcone
6 years ago#3
Yeah I think someone from Sega Europe responded saying that it wasn't true.
XBL GT: Spanders P
Twitter: @keeppassingcars

AlbertoFalcone
6 years ago#4
Oh........

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-28-sega-sacrificing-euro-oz-operations-to-focus-on-four-core-ips

:(((

User Info: isamu

isamu
6 years ago#5
Terrible news :(

Sega is downhill FAST. Hope they can reclaim their former glory some day. Release a new Daytona, Scud Race or Outrun darnit!!!!
OR 2006: Coast2Coast city here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info: Ikaruga_DC

Ikaruga_DC
6 years ago#6
I actually think this is being taken out of context and could be a good thing for them in the long run.

No more Kane and Lynch games for a start.

They seem to have lost there focus a little bit over the last couple of years but they are getting it back and digitally I think they are winning.

Digital distribution increases the possibility of arcade ports and cool emulation like the sega classics collection.
YOU CANT BE SATISFIED WITHOUT IT - SEGA MODEL 2

User Info: Eric43

Eric43
6 years ago#7
I think all the recent Dreamcast/Arcade ports are great, but I'm not looking forward to a future of Football Manager/Aliens sequels. Oh well, this reaffirms what we knew months ago and that is Sega's taking much fewer chances than before. At the very least, they won't commit suicide Midway-style...execs eating caviar as their stocks are sold for less than a dollar each...
Non-Profit Sega Racing Game Blog! Wildly Intriguing:
www.phantomfullforce.com/

AlbertoFalcone
6 years ago#8
At least they'll be no more movie tie ins but limiting your retail output to 4 ip's, 2 of which are PC only, 1 they don't own and Sonic, is a shame. Guess we can say goodbye to Platinums input.

Let's hope their digital releases are what we've come to expect.
  1. Boards
  2. OutRun Online Arcade
  3. Sega Europe to close? No more AAA Sega games on console?
  • Topic Archived