• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. OutRun Online Arcade
  3. So this game is gone now?

User Info: edgarleo

edgarleo
7 years ago#1
Sad, there doesn't seem to be any way to play multiplayer Outrun2.
Former RPG Elite (021): Sarcastic Atma Mage

User Info: Atariboy1982

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#2
Online multiplayer still works for those that own Outrun Online Arcade on the Xbox 360 (Unsure about the situation on the PS3). Of course if you don't already own it, that fact won't do you much good.

And of course there are 3rd party ways to take advantage of LAN functions to play original Xbox games online. But the crowds (If you could ever call it that) in Outrun 2 and Coast 2 Coast had been gone for a significant amount of time even before the plug was pulled on Xbox Live several years ago. So unless you have some interested friends, I really doubt it's worth the bother setting up something like XBConnect.

User Info: edgarleo

edgarleo
7 years ago#3
I've owned three other Outrun2 games in the past, and it seemed to me that they always seem to take down the servers early. I've tried to get LAN working in coast2coast PC, but it seems to be broken (as well as other issues that haven't been patched). That one's been taken off the Steam store too.

Ugh, Sega and Sumo do make it very hard to encourage people to buy their racing games. I can't see myself getting All-Star Racing 2 after they screwed us around omitting multiplayer on the first. If only the games weren't so much fun and Steam didn't have such great sales...
Former RPG Elite (021): Sarcastic Atma Mage

User Info: Deathmetalgamer

Deathmetalgamer
7 years ago#4
Umm I played this game online today.

It was in the same house though, if that has anything to do with it. But it was still technically online play. 2 different xbox360s

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#5
I can't speak for the PS3 release (Wouldn't surprise me if it has gone offline by now), but the Xbox 360 version remains online.

Unlike on the PC/PSP/PS2/PS3, there's nothing here for Sega to turn off. Matchmaking and leaderboard functions are handled by the standard Xbox Live service that has to run anyways to support online multiplayer in general for the platform. And player matches are hosted via P2P, the norm on the Xbox 360 outside of EA published titles (As it was on the original Xbox).

Online support isn't going anywhere until Xbox Live support ends for the platform. Just like Outrun 2 and Coast 2 Coast on the original Xbox that lasted right up until the end.

User Info: Eric43

Eric43
6 years ago#6
Leo_Ames posted...
I can't speak for the PS3 release (Wouldn't surprise me if it has gone offline by now), but the Xbox 360 version remains online.

Unlike on the PC/PSP/PS2/PS3, there's nothing here for Sega to turn off. Matchmaking and leaderboard functions are handled by the standard Xbox Live service that has to run anyways to support online multiplayer in general for the platform. And player matches are hosted via P2P, the norm on the Xbox 360 outside of EA published titles (As it was on the original Xbox).

Online support isn't going anywhere until Xbox Live support ends for the platform. Just like Outrun 2 and Coast 2 Coast on the original Xbox that lasted right up until the end.

That's good to hear. Let's play the 360 version sometime. Too bad most of us are busy...
Non-Profit Sega Racing Game Blog! Wildly Intriguing:
http://phantomfullforce.blogspot.com/

Atariboy1982
6 years ago#7
I'd be up for some Outrun Online Arcade. Anyone else like Virtua Racing interested in getting together perhaps next weekend sometime for some multiplayer?

Just don't switch over to Daytona USA after a while.... I'm lost in that game outside of the easy course.

User Info: model3

model3
6 years ago#8
get ready 2 race! = )
XBL & PSN: AM2Model3
DaytonaUSA XBLA/PSN AfterburnerClimax XBLA/PSN L.A.Machineguns Wii

User Info: Eric43

Eric43
6 years ago#9
Actually, I can't play now because I don't have an Xbox-to-TV cable (bought a $2 HDMI cable off Amazon which...didn't work at all) and cause I have school and I'm trying to get a job here, rofl.
Non-Profit Sega Racing Game Blog! Wildly Intriguing:
http://phantomfullforce.blogspot.com/

User Info: stargazer1981

stargazer1981
6 years ago#10
I never purchased the game, but I did download the trial 3 years ago.

Got the itch to play some old school racing (thanks Daytona USA), tried to find it, nowhere to be found.

So I checked my download list, scrolled down a metric tonne of games, re-downloaded the trial, and tried to unlock... only to discover that it cost ~4568390303993 MSP.

Can anybody let me borrow a billion MSP cards?
A teaser for my zombie web series: Viva Humanity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJwzHQ4hts
  1. Boards
  2. OutRun Online Arcade
  3. So this game is gone now?
  • Topic Archived