• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. OutRun Online Arcade
  3. Eric can I ask you a question?

User Info: isamu

isamu
7 years ago#1
Why don't you play iRacing?

I mean, as someone who enjoys all things NASCAR and is huge Daytona 2 fan, I'm surprised you don't play this game. It is right up your alley. It's got tons of oval tracks and a huge variety of oval cars to race in:

Chevorlay Silverado Trucks
Chevy Street Stock
Monte Carlo SS, Impala SS
SK Modified
and my favorite...the Dallara Indy Car!!!!

This game is AMAZING for road *AND* Oval racing. The online races on the oval side are always very close and the'res always close rubbin and racin!

I thought I would never enjoy Oval racing in a game other than Daytona, but iRacing is *THE* alternative for some great close oval battles! The rules are also very realistic and there flags, cautions, the works.

Give it a try man I guarantee you'll it!
OR 2006: Coast2Coast city here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info: Eric43

Eric43
7 years ago#2
Hey dude. I actually have been somewhat interested in iRacing. Nice to check out another "hardcore" racer besides Forza (been thinking about Shift 2 as well). But I have two things limiting me: 1. no steering wheel and 2. I'm in game programming grad school so I have little time for anything else. There's the possibility I could make the next iRacing, ha.

But now that you mention it, I want to give it a shot sometime. I have a super laptop from school that can play most any game, including Supermodel emulator. I'm looking for some steering wheels to play this and Model2/3 emulators as well but I don't know what to go for that's not a big investment.

I know Junior plays iRacing. JUNIOR #88 WILL DO ANYTHING FOR A MOUNTAIN DEW
http://youtu.be/qqbQ8N9ITaY

BTW, the Dallara Indy Cars are great. http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201105/dallara-indycar-conc-10_460x0w.jpg
Non-Profit Sega Racing Game Blog! Wildly Intriguing:
http://phantomfullforce.blogspot.com/

User Info: Atariboy1982

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#3
Eric43 posted...
Hey dude. I actually have been somewhat interested in iRacing. Nice to check out another "hardcore" racer besides Forza (been thinking about Shift 2 as well). But I have two things limiting me: 1. no steering wheel and 2. I'm in game programming grad school so I have little time for anything else. There's the possibility I could make the next iRacing, ha.

If you ever try iRacing, you're quickly going to feel so foolish suggesting that Shift 2 and Forza are sims. ;)

Shift 2 heavily leans towards the arcade side of things. And Forza has just enough realism to fool the casual observer into feeling like they're playing a simulation. Nothing wrong with that and the model has proven to be a very popular direction to go towards since Gran Turismo since there's something there to appeal to everyone. It's certainly fun, but it's to racing simulations what McDonalds is to fine dining.

Until you have a halfway decent steering wheel and lots of free time, you're correct in avoiding it. And be aware that it's a subscription based service that is expensive. So keep that in mind (And that's also why I doubt there will ever be an 'iRacing 2' since they're just going to keep evolving what they have I'm sure and have already implimented a significant upgrade a while back that basically represents the next step for the service).

It's sure a far cry from the early iRacing testing days when we were running a mod in NASCAR Racing 2003 back around 2005/2006 with just some physics changes.

Eric43 posted...
BTW, the Dallara Indy Cars are great. http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201105/dallara-indycar-conc-10_460x0w.jpg

Except that's not the car in the game. :)

The old Dallara that was retired after the conclusion of last year is what's currently modeled in the game. Hopefully when things settle down on the new car front, they'll get down to work modeling it and make it available for purchase.

isamu
7 years ago#4
Leo_Ames posted...

If you ever try iRacing, you're quickly going to feel so foolish suggesting that Shift 2 and Forza are sims. ;)

Shift 2 heavily leans towards the arcade side of things. And Forza has just enough realism to fool the casual observer into feeling like they're playing a simulation. Nothing wrong with that and the model has proven to be a very popular direction to go towards since Gran Turismo since there's something there to appeal to everyone. It's certainly fun, but it's to racing simulations what McDonalds is to fine dining.

Until you have a halfway decent steering wheel and lots of free time, you're correct in avoiding it. And be aware that it's a subscription based service that is expensive. So keep that in mind (And that's also why I doubt there will ever be an 'iRacing 2' since they're just going to keep evolving what they have I'm sure and have already implimented a significant upgrade a while back that basically represents the next step for the service).

It's sure a far cry from the early iRacing testing days when we were running a mod in NASCAR Racing 2003 back around 2005/2006 with just some physics changes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Welp, Leo pretty much covered it. It is true that the game can be expensive but if you run only one season to start off with, you only need 6 or 7 tracks once you get out of rookie class, and one car.

Leo, I think if Eric were to try say, the street stock, he would not need to buy any other car and just buy the tracks, since the street stock comes free with the service.

I raced the street stocks for the first time just now, and man they're a lot of fun! Racing at Charlotte at night time is also awesome. Butr....the Chevy Silverado trucks are just....*gasp*....too much fun to be legal!!! The Indy Oval races are nothing short of HEAVENLY! I just completed a 140 lap Indy race at Twin Ring Motegi. Quite grueling but came away with 0 incidents and a 6th place finish out of 18 drivers.

Eric I have to warn you....if...IF you decide to get a steering wheel, you must first realize that there is no turning back! Once you play a racing game with a wheel on PC, it is OVER!!!!!! You never ever EVER go back to a gamepad or controller. You *WILL* get that authentic arcade cabinet feeling in comparison to playing with a gamepad.

I have been trying to get Model 3 into getting a wheel but he hasn't budged LOL.

Any one wanna take bets on who will be first to get an FFB wheel between Model 3 and Eric? :p

User Info: Eric43

Eric43
7 years ago#5
Until you have a halfway decent steering wheel and lots of free time, you're correct in avoiding it.

Yeah, that about sums it up. It looks like fun but the investment is risky. The extreme difficulty may turn me off at first so I gotta get over that initial hump. Also I don't have too much expendable income right now. From what you guys mentioned, all these subscriptions, DLC, and unlocks sounds overwhelming. Even if I did like it, I have to invest a lot just to get my money's worth. It's much more likely I'll spend it on something I'm guaranteed to enjoy, such as Rock Band DLC (yeah, I like that too).

The old Dallara that was retired after the conclusion of last year is what's currently modeled in the game. Hopefully when things settle down on the new car front, they'll get down to work modeling it and make it available for purchase.

Thought I saw those Dallara cars in the most recent Indy Car races. Oh well, I don't claim to know that much about professional racing--I just love to drive for fun. :D

And that's also why I doubt there will ever be an 'iRacing 2' since they're just going to keep evolving what they have I'm sure and have already implimented a significant upgrade a while back that basically represents the next step for the service

I'd prefer if they iterate on the same game rather than force people to buy a new one. If I did make racing games, I'd prefer arcade ones like Daytona/Outrun. And not "crap mainstream" racers like Need for Speed either. Hell, I'm still working a Super Sprint remake so I can say, "Look, it's a good racing game regardless of genre."

I raced the street stocks for the first time just now, and man they're a lot of fun! Racing at Charlotte at night time is also awesome. Butr....the Chevy Silverado trucks are just....*gasp*....too much fun to be legal!!! The Indy Oval races are nothing short of HEAVENLY! I just completed a 140 lap Indy race at Twin Ring Motegi. Quite grueling but came away with 0 incidents and a 6th place finish out of 18 drivers.

Wow, from the way you described it, that sounds like a lot of fun to me. I've been on a Nascar kick lately so it'd be fun to go cruis'n once more. Yeah I'd probably be the Mike Skinner/Scott Speed's of the race but I wanna go fast so who cares.

Another question about the game--they obviously have tuning setups right? Do they have many races without tuning--that is, everyone races the same car so it comes down to pure skill? I'd like those kind of races since I'm an arcade racer guy and don't have time to crunch the numbers :)

Eric I have to warn you....if...IF you decide to get a steering wheel, you must first realize that there is no turning back! Once you play a racing game with a wheel on PC, it is OVER!!!!!! You never ever EVER go back to a gamepad or controller. You *WILL* get that authentic arcade cabinet feeling in comparison to playing with a gamepad.

I feel I must get a wheel now. I had a decent wheel for the Dreamcast--played some Daytona USA 2001 but not for long.

Just curious--are there any wheels that work for both PC and Xbox? Sounds ridiculous but I'd like to alternate between the two if possible. Yeah, I might play Forza with it, but at least it has a lot of readily-available cars to mess around so that's cool. And, of course, to play Daytona/Scud Race/iRacing (if I buy it).

At least I should get a wheel for Daytona 2/Scud Race. I can't believe that Supermodel emulator is free. We're truly blessed. I donated money to Bart (not saying how much) cause I couldn't help it.
Non-Profit Sega Racing Game Blog! Wildly Intriguing:
http://phantomfullforce.blogspot.com/

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#6
There are fixed setup races available in iRacing, although open setups are much more the norm. Also there are plenty of good sources of setups to use as well, so don't think you'd have to create things from scratch.

There are wheels that work with both the 360 and PC. In fact my primary wheel on the 360 is compatible with the PC, 360, and PS3 (Although I use a cheap Logitech on the PS3 and a TSW on the PC).

I think most every 360 wheel has some form of PC compatibility if I'm not mistaken. I think even the official MS product that was discontinued several years ago could be taken over to the PC (Although it was of such poor quality it wasn't worth the bother).

isamu
7 years ago#7
Eric43 posted...
Wow, from the way you described it, that sounds like a lot of fun to me. I've been on a Nascar kick lately so it'd be fun to go cruis'n once more. Yeah I'd probably be the Mike Skinner/Scott Speed's of the race but I wanna go fast so who cares.

Oh believe me, the oval stuff is very very fun. I was extremely skeptical about oval races and thought they'd be boring as hell...all this turning left turning left and, oh LOOK...It's another left turn!! LOL. But once I got started it was great! The game allows you to draft the cars so can always count on close packed racing and you're always on your toes because you cannot see the guy next to you so you have to rely on your spotter to tell you "Inside" "Outside", "Still there", "All clear All clear!". It's VERY intense!

Eric43 posted...
Another question about the game--they obviously have tuning setups right? Do they have many races without tuning--that is, everyone races the same car so it comes down to pure skill? I'd like those kind of races since I'm an arcade racer guy and don't have time to crunch the numbers :)

You are in luck my friend! Pretty much all the races in the game have a "fixed" version of the series. That means, all the setups are done by iRacing and there is no need to mess around with tuning or setups. Each driver is on the exact same specced vehicle, so it comes down to one thing only...YOU and YOU'RE skill!

Eric43 posted...
Just curious--are there any wheels that work for both PC and Xbox? Sounds ridiculous but I'd like to alternate between the two if possible.

Again, you're in luck buddy! Check out this FFB wheel from Fanatec....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGbgJ7_kiJs

If you can save up and get that wheel, I guarantee you will not regret and it will take your racing game playing experience to the next level!! You will wonder why you waited so long to get a quality ffb wheel.

Eric43 posted...
]At least I should get a wheel for Daytona 2/Scud Race. I can't believe that Supermodel emulator is free. We're truly blessed. I donated money to Bart (not saying how much) cause I couldn't help it.

I agree. Being able to play Daytona and Scud Race with an FFB wheel is absolutely sublime. Nothing comes close to replicating the arcade experience at home. The ffb is very VERY good and is NO different from the arcade version.

Let me know if you have any more questions man :)

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#8
The Fanatec is a good product. One of their earlier wheels is what I use on the 360.

Models come and go (Although it's largely cosmetic changes), but they probably still offer an option that includes PS3 support as well if you also own a Playstation 3.

My advice at this point should be run and don't look back. This is an expensive hobby that has a way of sucking spare time. Get a good wheel and you'll want to upgrade your graphics card. Upgrade your graphics card and you'll want to get a good H pattern shifter (The Lightning SST is what I use). Get a good shifter and you'll want to get Track IR.

It's a viscious cycle...

isamu
7 years ago#9
Leo_Ames posted...

My advice at this point should be run and don't look back. This is an expensive hobby that has a way of sucking spare time. Get a good wheel and you'll want to upgrade your graphics card. Upgrade your graphics card and you'll want to get a good H pattern shifter (The Lightning SST is what I use). Get a good shifter and you'll want to get Track IR.

It's a viscious cycle...

Amen to that, brother! By the way you running triple screens? I don't have the room for them but damn I wish I did. They would help TREMENDOUSLY in oval races! Someone on the iRacing forums is running 5 SCREENS!!! Just for iRacing!

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#10
I don't have the room either. Plus I have concerns about the long-term cost.

I'd want three identical monitors. The thought of one of them dying and having to replace all three to maintain uniformity (Models never seem to stick around for long, particularly in today's LCD era) is just too much since I have little doubt one will die well before the other two would.

Also I'm a long-time CRT fan. Hasn't been terribly long since I bought my first 16:10 LCD for my desk where I play racing games at (Wanted to hook up an older PS3 and 360 to it for racers along with my gaming PC, so I decided it was time for my first LCD desktop monitor).

So having a widescreen picture in things like iRacing still feels like a bit of a novelty to me which has helped me be able to resist the temptation.
  1. Boards
  2. OutRun Online Arcade
  3. Eric can I ask you a question?
  • Topic Archived