• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. OutRun Online Arcade
  3. Wow, so that's what I get for being a late adopter...

User Info: Shamrock99

Shamrock99
7 years ago#1
I'm still working my way through my backlog of Saturn, PSX, N64, DC, and PS2 games so I'm yet to buy a 360. I was DEFINITELY planning on getting OutRun Online Arcade, but now that isn't possible due to the Ferrari licensing issue. That's what I get for being a late adopter. Funny, I thought it would have worked perfectly getting a 360 for cheap with some games packed in, retail games being price-reduced, and having all of the XBLA games I want ready for me to download....but nope, not anymore. Guess I have to stick to OutRun 2 on Xbox or find a copy of Coast 2 Coast for PS2.

F***ing sucks.
My Backloggery: http://www.backloggery.com/Kajicat

User Info: model3

model3
7 years ago#2
it is a shame! digital game licenses expiring and stuff.

outrun2006 on ps2, xbox, psp, pc can get your fix!
outrun2006 also runs on xbox360 via bc emulation, its so-so.
outrun 2006 pc runs for the most part, nicely in HD on PC so you can get the full experience there! (OOA was only the SP tracks)
XBL & PSN: AM2Model3
DaytonaUSA XBLA/PSN AfterburnerClimax XBLA/PSN L.A.Machineguns Wii

Shamrock99
7 years ago#3
Yeah I'll have to hunt down 2006 now. I would prefer to get it on XBox but IIRC it's kinda rare compared to the PS2 version.

User Info: VirtuaRacing

VirtuaRacing
7 years ago#4
XBOX OutRun2006 is multi-region.

Quick search on ebay UK has 2, one going for £14.99 at the time of posting this. More in the U.S of A.

Searched: Outrun 2006 xbox
XBL Gamertag: F40

Shamrock99
7 years ago#5
^ Holy crap, I had no idea the Xbox version was multi-region! Excellent...but hey, while you're here, can you tell me what the differences are between the Xbox and PS2 versions if you know?

I assume PS2 might have more aliasing problems and a possibly stuttering framerate at times, but this might be a false memory. Swear I remember people saying the PS2 version was not the one to get. I'll go check out eBay real quick anyways. Thanks!

User Info: Ikaruga_DC

Ikaruga_DC
7 years ago#6
Xbox version is missing some background graphics in places. The sun glare on the first level is placed too high. Also floral gardens has no floral effect.

These are minor issues since the game is running on the same renderer as the previous outrun 2 conversion

PS2 version is a tiny bit jaggy and the water just looks odd.

User Info: VirtuaRacing

VirtuaRacing
7 years ago#7
When model3 says the PS2 version and some others would say the same they mean the second version that was released later in Japan which goes by the name of OutRun2SP.

PS2 OutRun2SP:
Sumo totally reworked the Scud Race & Daytona USA 2 tracks adding in extra animations as seen on the real arcade machines.
I believe all the end animations were added when you reach the Goal line.
Some stages were worked on to make them look closer to arcade as they looked a little ugly before hand.
4 new music tracks exclusive to this version.
All the correct AI rival cars are in place in OutRun mode to that of the arcade machine.
And the Online code was removed freeing up space to allow full force feedback & steering resistance steering wheel support.

PS2 OutRun2006 does the job it set out to do perfectly but is a little ugly sat next to the xbox version. PS2 will score an extra point for some of the sun flares and the like as that's what the machine did best, but then again you be driving cars with no glass in the back window.
The rival cars in OutRun mode were repeated and not correct to the arcade or xbox to save on memory.
As already said some of the stages don't look so good, Cloudy Highland would see some bush put in at the top of a hill, looks different and a little tacky.
Some stage lighting changes here and there.
No force feedback wheel support.
About 3 of the end stage animations made it in to this version as you cross the line which is a PS2 plus - things like the Space Shuttle taking off - in turth this might be missing on xbox but does not add anything to the fun other that eye candy & once you have seen or not seen it a 1000 times it becomes meaningless.
I felt the counter steering animation was missing a frame or two as the cars would not bend round as tight as the arcade or xbox1 version, but time wise it was not bad at all.

Thats said OutRun2006 PS2 is an amazing achievement and should not of been running on the machine so hats of to Sumo to doing what they did anyway. We are just picky that's all, or I am. :)

As already said XBOX OutRun2006 has had the sun moved about on all stages creating a different light to that of the acrade. Nothing wrong with that, but it's the closest to the arcade machines in looks and playability and if there was one version we would all fall back on as 'the' version then this is it. Tho a handful do enjoy the more complete OutRun2SP for PS2 from Japan.

A small warning. The very first time you go to load OutRun2006 on an XBOX1 it will take about 1 or 2 mins for the stage load for the very first time! The game has not crashed, but I would imagine it's dumping a lot of stuff on to the harddrive much like Doom3 does and once you have it as the main game being played and even switch off it will load as normal. If the disc is used all the time and you have not loaded a different game then it will load like normal after the 1st time it's loaded from fresh. Nothing to worry about!

Have fun.
XBL Gamertag: F40

Shamrock99
7 years ago#8
Thanks for all of your help, guys! I think I'm going to just pony up for the Xbox version. But yeah, I watched some vids on YouTube of the PS2 port and it looks damn fine indeed. The Classic Game Room review on it was quite entertaining.

Ikaruga_DC posted...
Xbox version is missing some background graphics in places. The sun glare on the first level is placed too high. Also floral gardens has no floral effect. These are minor issues since the game is running on the same renderer as the previous outrun 2 conversion
PS2 version is a tiny bit jaggy and the water just looks odd.

What is this floral effect you speak of...?

User Info: Ikaruga_DC

Ikaruga_DC
7 years ago#9
Its just a simple ending animation with flowers being thrown like confetti. Its irrelevant.

FYI the PC version has the same omissions.

Shamrock99
7 years ago#10
I ended up snagging a complete copy of the Xbox version in "very good" condition for under $24. If Online Arcade ever comes back I will buy it for sure. Thanks for all of your help everyone! God I love Sega racers!!!
  1. Boards
  2. OutRun Online Arcade
  3. Wow, so that's what I get for being a late adopter...
  • Topic Archived