• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. OutRun Online Arcade
  3. Scudrace/SuperGT & DaytonaUSA2:BattleOnTheEdge/PowerEdition

User Info: Atariboy1982

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#81
Turns out I've played two Raw Thrills games actually.

Just realized Target Terror was done by them (Own the Wii port published by Konami, never seen the coinop). It's an entertaining lightgun shooter. It's shallow, appears low budget, has cheesy clips, and so on.

But you're left feeling like many of those elements were taken purposely to help create a throwback to older lightgun shooters that often had similar elements like Lethal Enforcers. I think it recreates that nostalgia pretty well for the most part.

Nothing spectacular, but I'd consider it around the C+ to B- range and worth playing through at least once for someone with an affinity towards lightgun shooters.

Passed by some of their other racers before but never felt compelled to bother other than H20verdrive which I'd love to get a home version of. It's more of a proper Hydro Thunder sequel than that XBLA game was if you ask me.

User Info: model3

model3
7 years ago#82
i mis read.

VF5:FS is, $15 on XBLA and PSN.
if you want to choose DLC for individual characters, its $5 each.
if you want all the DLC, you can buy DLC packs of $15 each.
one pack has 9 character dlc, the other has 10.

so the whole game is 15, 15, 15 = 45.
So ill only need to spend 45 each on xbla and psn for 90.
(i thought the dlc packs were different.)

not a bad option!
XBL & PSN: AM2Model3
DaytonaUSA XBLA/PSN AfterburnerClimax XBLA/PSN L.A.Machineguns Wii

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#83
After a few false predictions for earlier this month, Super Hang-On hit PSN today for $5 for those interested.

Seems a safe bet with that news that the Alex Kidd & Co compilation, which includes Super Hang-On along with two other games, should be hitting XBLA tomorrow for $10 which is what I'm waiting on. Not a bad time to be a fan of classic Sega content with these rereleases this week of some fresh classic content and some old favorites like Revenge of Shinobi.

Wish there was something to look forward to next week. Golden Axe 1-3 (With the original being the arcade game rather than the Genesis version) and the Streets of Rage trilogy aren't exactly exciting releases at this point. Can already play arcade Golden Axe and the Genesis game Streets of Rage 2 on XBLA/PSN with the other 4 games being present on their retail compilation for the PS3/360 that most fans of such releases should already own (Along with SOR2 as well and the Genesis version of Golden Axe),

It's of pretty limited utility unless someone is dying to take advantage of online multiplayer, leaderboards, and loves to go achievement hunting. Only way I'll ever pick them up is if they go on sale for half off.

User Info: Ikaruga_DC

Ikaruga_DC
7 years ago#84
I grabbed both collections today.

M2 have added challenges and the sound isnt screwed up like the backbone ports.

Wonderboy in monsterland one of my favourite sega arcade games. Prefer it to ghouls n ghosts released about the same time.

This month sega have got from me

800 pts monster world
800 pts alex kidd
800 pts golden axe
800 pts streets of rage
1200 pts virtua fighter 5fs.

Im supporting you sega, lets get daytona 2 going.

Call me an idiot but im warming towards the new joyride game that uses controllers.
YOU CANT BE SATISFIED WITHOUT IT - SEGA MODEL 2

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#85
Anything specific for why you're going to bother with the Golden Axe and Streets of Rage collections other than showing Sega some support? I hope that doesn't mean you don't own Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection since if it does, you need to go out and buy it ASAP. :)

Already have all that content playable on my 360 (Including two releases for Streets of Rage 2), so I'm passing on those two I think.

I imagine I'll grab them when they see a 50% off sale someday just for convenience and to maybe have some fun hunting achievements, but I'd rather send the signal that I want to see more releases like these two we got today instead of just regurgitating content already playable on the platform like they're going to be doing next week.

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#86
I'm rusty with the real deal. The couple of runs I did with Super Hang-On ended before the finish line on the easy course. But very solid emulation and that's coming from someone that has played the original coinop in recent years. Very nicely done release and I'm looking forward to spending more time with this.

The collection overall isn't without minor annoyances though. I really wish I could switch games with the d-pad or analog stick instead of the bumpers (Haven't explored the options yet, that might be easily fixed).

But the big annoyance I found was with 4:3 support. I'll occasionally play 360 games on my 4:3 Trinitron and today was one of those days. But there is no proper 4:3 support at all in this collection despite all being 4:3 releases originally. All the games are letterboxed no matter what options you select. And you can get rid of the pillarboxing only by stretching the game to fill the letterboxed 16:9 area of the screen and distorting the proportions in the process.

Seems strange and lazy to not allow 4:3 television owners to output 4:3 games full screen. We're well into the HDTV age (And I'm glad I usually play 360 games on one), but this is still a tad disappointing. There's no shortage of 4:3 televisions still out there so there's no excuse to not allow gamers playing on 4:3 televisions to play 4:3 material full screen.

And perhaps related to this issue, there is a bit of graphical imperfection with Revenge of Shinobi near the bottom right of the screen. Not sure if it's emulation issues, something that was always there and I just never noticed (Not exactly an expert on the game, not a fan of the series), or if I'm seeing something that traditionally was obscured by overscan in the past.

Anywyas, not a big deal but it's noticeable, particularly before gameplay starts. So it's worth a mention.

User Info: isamu

isamu
7 years ago#87
model3 posted...
i mis read.

VF5:FS is, $15 on XBLA and PSN.
if you want to choose DLC for individual characters, its $5 each.
if you want all the DLC, you can buy DLC packs of $15 each.
one pack has 9 character dlc, the other has 10.

so the whole game is 15, 15, 15 = 45.
So ill only need to spend 45 each on xbla and psn for 90.
(i thought the dlc packs were different.)

not a bad option!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks dawg ;)
OR 2006: Coast2Coast city here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info: Ikaruga_DC

Ikaruga_DC
7 years ago#88
Im getting the SOR and Golden Axe collections for the challenges and better emulation.

Backbone screwed up the sound in the sor2 conversion and space harrier is totally ruined on the collection with the sound playing at double speed and never patched. Disgusting.

Bet yeah I guess I am a sega cat as well although im not touching sonic games like episode 2.
YOU CANT BE SATISFIED WITHOUT IT - SEGA MODEL 2

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#89
Yeah, they really botched Space Harrier on it. Was glad I wasn't a Space Harrier fan or that they didn't include other games that ran on the hardware like Outrun.

Digital Eclipse could be really good, but occasionally their emulation was just awful. Wizard of Wor on Midway Arcade Treasures 2 was another one of those times where they weren't even close.

I hate to admit it, but I never really noticed the minor audio issues their emulation had for the Genesis. Same with Sonic Mega Collection Plus from another developers. Supposedly it had some audio trouble (Unlike the GameCube original) but I never picked up on it.

User Info: VirtuaRacing

VirtuaRacing
6 years ago#90
Leo,

That Raster Line you see on Revenge of Shinobi is a genuine feature of the Megadrive it's self and yes would of been out of view on NTSC 60hz machines & Screens. All to common in the land of PAL as we have more lines on the screen squashing the picture and that Raster Line comes into view.

Indeed the lower the screen resolution the better Super Hang-On looks to the original because like you I have played it and remember it well from the arcade machines too. I'm rolling with the RGB Scart Lead, but on a 32" 16:9 Toshiba CRT and as you can imagine the running game window is 4:3 fitting top to bottom. I even put it on my 14" 4:3 CRT via scart and wow even tho it runs in 16:9 like you say with 4:3 within that it's still wicked as the sit down version was about this size of screen! :)
Yeah a shame you can't have pure 4:3, but use the arcade speakers wallpaper and your forget about it. Main thing is that the window of the game is 4:3 and in truth on such a CRT the game is running at twice the resolution of the original so it's all good anyway. The laced screen mode adds a sharpness to it, yeah it's wicked! :)

Just in case... The two versions of Super Hang-On from the past that made it home. Easy is the Megadrive/Genesis version and HARD is the classic Amiga & Atari ST versions. The later is the one I've played the most as they are wicked games even today, but one crash on the arcade version and it's GAME OVER more times than not, (Ouch). :)

All we need now is for SHO to be release of disc. It's too good to be just palmed off as an XBLA title. I would of paid 1200msp just for SHO alone!
XBL Gamertag: F40
  1. Boards
  2. OutRun Online Arcade
  3. Scudrace/SuperGT & DaytonaUSA2:BattleOnTheEdge/PowerEdition
  • Topic Archived