• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. OutRun Online Arcade
  3. Scudrace/SuperGT & DaytonaUSA2:BattleOnTheEdge/PowerEdition

User Info: Atariboy1982

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#41
Looks like a Burnout clone. Not what I want from a racer.

User Info: VirtuaRacing

VirtuaRacing
7 years ago#42
I know what you mean. If it was the real deal by Namco them self's I would of bought it already.
XBL Gamertag: F40

User Info: Ikaruga_DC

Ikaruga_DC
7 years ago#43
I could just about put up with ridge racer 6 as its become tiresome the formula of drifting where you lock to the road, no matter how sharp the curve is. Even outrun 2 has this but can get away with it since its an upgrade on a 2d game.

Every driving game's drift mechanic is inferior to daytona USA's in any case even now.

Im skipping Ridge Racer unbounded anyway.
YOU CANT BE SATISFIED WITHOUT IT - SEGA MODEL 2

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#44
Never liked drifting in my games to start with, although some games have been good enough to overcome that opinion (Including Outrun 2).

Drifting in legitimate auto racing is completely different from arcade racers of recent years or that fake form of motorsports that has gained some popularity in Japan.

This amazing shot of Jack Brabham in a 4 wheel drift at the 1967 Brazillian Grand Prix is about as extreme as it gets.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Sn_U42mXg1I/TtNckvdpCPI/AAAAAAAARqs/UG-HgLEaDQU/s1600/JB.jpg

The fastest way to handle a racecar is to be in full control of it. Deliberately getting your car way out of shape is sacrilegious and looks stupid.

User Info: Eric43

Eric43
7 years ago#45
Drifting in Daytona/Outrun has been great but now every racing game does it. No drifting will be better than a Sega racer.

Sadly, Ridge Racer Unbounded looks better than Ridge Racer Vita. Unbounded actually has new content in it--Vita is just a sparse rehash of the same old stuff. Ridge Racer is a joke these days. A shame Sega doesn't share Namco's "enthusiasm."
Non-Profit Sega Racing Game Blog! Wildly Intriguing:
http://phantomfullforce.blogspot.com/

User Info: Noobsaibot_21

Noobsaibot_21
7 years ago#46

I will not be picking up RRU - RR6 just annoyed the hell out of me and to be perfectly honest, had the handling of a game of curling IMO. Daytona 2/Outrun 2 are flawless for "fun drifting/showing off" and Daytona/SCUD Race are best for more "technical/slightly more realistic drifting". Four games that give me endless pleasure and no other arcade racers come close.

Grid isn't too bad either - Enjoyed it a lot more than Dirt 2, that's for sure. SR 2007/SROA were fantastic fun too and much better than the under rated SR2. And Test drive Unlimited blew me away on release - had me hooked for years. Pity the second was, and forever will be, a horrible broken mess. Also got good fun out of Wipeout HD and Trackmania Sunrise/Nations.

As for serious sims, Forza and GT can do one - GTR 2 and rFactor (both for PC) are still the champs. This trailer for the long awaited rFactor sequel has me salvating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwJ2PfqYKF8

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#47
GTR2 and rFactor were never the champs. :)

The only people that have managed to touch the simulation quality of the Papyrus developed PC sims of the 1990's and early 2000's before Sierra decided they didn't want a PC exclusive developer and closed shop has been the iRacing subscription service. Not coincidently owned by the founder of Papyrus, utilizing an engine for its foundation that was purchased from Sierra that has been evolving since Grand Prix Legends from 1998, and with a bunch of former Papyrus guys on the staff. The best simulation available today is the result.

But if you like rFactor, check out Sim Raceway. it utilizes rFactor for a base and seems to blend some of the elements of iRacing into it such as laser scanned racetracks and cars. Supposedly going to include every street car and F1 vehicle McLaren ever designed if it lasts long enough to get there (I don't think it will be able to survive against iRacing).

I've enjoyed the Codemasters racers in general. Never bought Fuel or Pure since they didn't look very good, but I played through Grid on the Xbox 360 (Just finished the surprisingly halfway decent DS version a week or so ago actually), Dirt and Dirt 2 on the Xbox 360 (Just bought the complete edition of Dirt 3 yesterday evening and will get to that soon), abd F1 2010 (Actually haven't finished that one yet, once I do I'll buy F1 2011).

Grid had some serious issues, but I still had fun. Had to get creative to get a certain achievement when the game shipped with it broken. They released a patch that fixed it, but broke it again when they patched the game a second time. The faster cars like the LeMans prototypes handled with a ton of understeer with a gamepad so it was a struggle at points with them to keep up with the AI (I suspect driving them around LeMans would've been better with a wheel, but I've reserved mine for less arcadey racers like F1 2010 and Forza to prolong its life). The AI was braindead and the game quite clearly had Mario Kart style catch up turned on. And I wasn't crazy about the drifting parts. And I routinely had to use the handbrake to get around some corners in the prototypes, something that shouldn't even be there for most of the vehicles they included in the game (Paritcularly the prototypes, lol, they're not rally cars).

But I got my 950 or so achievement points out of it and had fun fully finishing single player. Wasn't going to endure several dozen hours of online multiplayer for the experienced based multiplayer achievements so I didn't 1000 it (Or bother with buying the expansion stuff with more achievement points since I didn't 1000 it anyways and the new achievements were all online or drift based and they didn't give us the bit of DLC that actually intrigued me; they killed off their V8 Supercar expansion and only PS3 owners got Bathurst and I was playing the 360 release).

User Info: VirtuaRacing

VirtuaRacing
7 years ago#48
I put a good number of hours in F1 2011, putting up with it's faults but in the end it became too much and I totally lost interest. So much so that Codies only had the one chance to get it right, meaning if it wasn't I would not buy F1 2011 and true to my word I didn't!

Dirt 3, I put an hour in just running some rally courses, I uploaded a quick movie, got 10G and got shot of the disc. It's crap and it's totally fake handling only adds to it. WRC2 for the win and is the best Rally game since Richard Burns!

Fuel is wicked, best thing released on the Codie lable ever because it was not made by them! :)
5000 square miles of play ground and just total fun. TDU for offroad, but arcade style handling. The game will be a bit dead online today but as a single player game and if you like exploration and want to escape or go on holiday even in a virtual world then this can not be beat. Even has a track editor and more roads than the whole of the UK combined type of crazy-ness lol. Bikes, buggy's, offroad, road & even monster trucks. At todays prices the most amount of game money you can buy, end off. :-P
XBL Gamertag: F40

User Info: Noobsaibot_21

Noobsaibot_21
7 years ago#49

Leo_Ames posted...
GTR2 and rFactor were never the champs. :)

The only people that have managed to touch the simulation quality of the Papyrus developed PC sims of the 1990's and early 2000's before Sierra decided they didn't want a PC exclusive developer and closed shop has been the iRacing subscription service. Not coincidently owned by the founder of Papyrus, utilizing an engine for its foundation that was purchased from Sierra that has been evolving since Grand Prix Legends from 1998, and with a bunch of former Papyrus guys on the staff. The best simulation available today is the result.

I've heard of that but I don't have the setup to warrant it. If I had Isamuu's setup, i'd be all over that.

Leo_Ames posted...
But if you like rFactor, check out Sim Raceway. it utilizes rFactor for a base and seems to blend some of the elements of iRacing into it such as laser scanned racetracks and cars. Supposedly going to include every street car and F1 vehicle McLaren ever designed if it lasts long enough to get there (I don't think it will be able to survive against iRacing).

I'll have a butchers at that after my assignment. Sounds interesting.

Leo_Ames posted...
I've enjoyed the Codemasters racers in general. Never bought Fuel or Pure since they didn't look very good, but I played through Grid on the Xbox 360 (Just finished the surprisingly halfway decent DS version a week or so ago actually), Dirt and Dirt 2 on the Xbox 360 (Just bought the complete edition of Dirt 3 yesterday evening and will get to that soon), abd F1 2010 (Actually haven't finished that one yet, once I do I'll buy F1 2011).

Have the DS port myself but dislike it. Technically, excellent but the DS controls just don't cut it for me. Outside of Sonic, Mario, EBA and the flawless Ouendan games, the DS is pretty meh all round.

Leo_Ames posted...
Grid had some serious issues, but I still had fun. Had to get creative to get a certain achievement when the game shipped with it broken. They released a patch that fixed it, but broke it again when they patched the game a second time. The faster cars like the LeMans prototypes handled with a ton of understeer with a gamepad so it was a struggle at points with them to keep up with the AI (I suspect driving them around LeMans would've been better with a wheel, but I've reserved mine for less arcadey racers like F1 2010 and Forza to prolong its life). The AI was braindead and the game quite clearly had Mario Kart style catch up turned on. And I wasn't crazy about the drifting parts. And I routinely had to use the handbrake to get around some corners in the prototypes, something that shouldn't even be there for most of the vehicles they included in the game (Paritcularly the prototypes, lol, they're not rally cars).

I agree, it is pretty flawed and the drifting seems random at times to me. Didn't like the muscle cars really but enjoyed the Euro track races. Always enjoyed it less compared to the wonderful Le Mans 24 on DC.

Leo_Ames posted...
But I got my 950 or so achievement points out of it and had fun fully finishing single player. Wasn't going to endure several dozen hours of online multiplayer for the experienced based multiplayer achievements so I didn't 1000 it (Or bother with buying the expansion stuff with more achievement points since I didn't 1000 it anyways and the new achievements were all online or drift based and they didn't give us the bit of DLC that actually intrigued me; they killed off their V8 Supercar expansion and only PS3 owners got Bathurst and I was playing the 360 release).

You've definitely played it a lot more than me then. I'll give you some MP games at some point (may as well wrap it up) but not for a while as I have plenty of university work to catch up. Wouldn't worry about the V8 expansion as there are two V8 games on 360 already and they are rather good. Never got round to buying them and the online community is likely to be very small but I enjoyed the demos. PS3 Grid is offline now.

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#50
About the only huge problems I remember with F1 2010 was your crew holding you while up to a dozen cars streamed by on pit road. Easily solved for me with longer races so pitting was more spread out or simply not pitting the lap I'm called in and going another lap or two further.

I thought it handled well (Although I used a wheel and pedals, not sure what it was like with a gamepad) and was well done for the most part. Had some annoyances (Barely any spray coming from other cars during wet races is something that I remember being annoyed by) and that typically brownish look of current generation racers from Codemasters. But by and large I liked it. The handling was decent and to my shock, the AI wasn't horrible (Although it needed a ton of balancing, the variation from track to track with the same AI setting could sometimes be extreme...anyone remember racing at Barcelona?).

Looking forward to buying F1 2011 (And by the time I finish that, I imagine F1 2012 and F1 2013 will be here, lol). F1 2010 wasn't perfect, but it was satisfactory and showed a lot or promise. Primary reason I shelved it was mechanical issues with my wheel that kept me away for a long time.

Dirt 1 and 2 handled well enough for me. Certainly goes towards the arcade side of things, but I still have fun. Sticking them to the roof/hood view masks much of it to me. I enjoyed them (And that's coming from someone that has played most rally racers out there, including RBR with a wheel on the PC and also on the PS2 and other realistic examples like Rally Trophy). Dirt 3 with more rally content than the pitiful amount that Dirt 2 had will be a fun ride for me I'm sure.

Grid was at its best with the various types of GT and touring cars. I hated stepping into the prototypes (The Porsche Curves at LeMans in a prototype was an exercise in frusturation with a gamepad since the AI could smoothly blast through there far quicker than you could), the open wheelers (Which also had massive understeer and needed liberal amounts of the handbrake, lol), and the American pony car races. The dirt races weren't bad also with late model stock cars, but that only accounted for 2 or 3 events on just a course or two. And I absolutely loved the day/night transition at LeMans (Which annoyed me to see F1 2010 not impliment, something thankfully rectified for F1 2011 which should make Abu Dahbi at least halfway interesting the first time).

I actually have the two V8 Supercars games on the PS3. As for the DS port of Grid, how much time did you spend with it? I bought that and several other Firebrand developed racers years ago and could never get into them after brief looks and a handful of races in each. But the last few weeks I've gone through Race Driver Create & Race, Ferrari Challenge, Grid, and Need for Speed Carbon and actually had fun. Certainly average at best creations, but I fire up a tv show on my DVR, turn the volume down a lot of the DS, and basically half pay attention to what I'm doing as I race while I listen to the tv. Ended up finishing them for the most part (Although I didn't 100% Japan and North America in Grid after accomplishing it with Europe, some of the events I was happy just to be able to finish since 1 or 2 of them seemed impossible at first just to get the minimum goal). Might even pick up a few more Firebrand developed racersnow like Trackmania and Dirt 2.

Lots to like on the DS I think, but it's pretty pitiful where the racing genre is concerned (Especially compared to the GBA). Can easily name 7 or 8 racers on the GBA that I'd rate a B+ or better. I can't name a single one on the DS. Even Mario Kart, something I consider more a seperate genre than a racer is a bit weak on the DS compared to the usual standards of the series.
  1. Boards
  2. OutRun Online Arcade
  3. Scudrace/SuperGT & DaytonaUSA2:BattleOnTheEdge/PowerEdition
  • Topic Archived