• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. OutRun Online Arcade
  3. I wish Sega had made Outrun 2006 available on PSN for the PSP...

User Info: Atariboy1982

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#1
I'll preface this by saying I hated the analog nub of the PSP. It was virtually useless (At least they fixed the d-pad after the 1000 model was replaced where diagonals were difficult to pull off) so I avoided buying most any 3D game in UMD form that relied on it. That's much of the reason why I bought a Go and started downloading PSP games that relied on the nub so I could play on a tv with a PS3 controller (Only the Go had BlueTooth) and actually enjoy the game rather than fight it. I essentially used the Go as a consolized version of the PSP and only ever used my old SixAxis controller on it.

With the release of the Vita drawing closer, I've started taking a look at what PSP games I've downloaded in the past that I might want to play through again on my Vita. And I'm also considering what else I might want to download now that Sony has a handheld with a proper analog stick (I might finally buy and take Gran Turismo PSP out for a spin now, never made sense downloading it on my Go when I had console versions available and the thought of playing it on my 1000 or 3000 was a complete turn off).

One game I have in UMD form that I'd love to get on my Vita is Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast. I wish Sega had made this available for download since the Vita seems like it would be perfect for it. I thought they did an amazing job with the PSP port, but it was killed by the PSP's controls. The analog nub was next to useless and the digital control of the d-pad was hardly a desirable control input for a game like this.

It would be nice to be able to enjoy this handheld port finally on a Vita with an actual analog stick. Too bad that isn't possible.

User Info: model3

model3
7 years ago#2
yes! i feel the same.

it is too bad it wasn't a psn title.
I watch the new for the PSP UMD games to PSVita conversion but it looks like it may only be for the PSN,PSP games..... not the PSP UMD only games......

it will be interesting to see how well the PSVita is allowed to run PSP games better.....resolutions and framerates.

maybe sega will do a digital Outrun2006c2c and fully utilize vita power.... that would be fantastic!
XBL & PSN: AM2Model3
DaytonaUSA XBLA/PSN AfterburnerClimax XBLA/PSN L.A.Machineguns Wii

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#3
I believe the upgrade program is only for games already available on PSN and only for those publishers that are enrolled in the program. It sounds like it will be of pretty limited utility and 3rd party publishers enrolled in it for Japan are barely giving people a break in price (Only Sony seems to be giving a significant discount, so far)..

Another nice feature of the Vita's backwards compatibility is the resolution. Unlike Nintendo handhelds where you either play in a smaller window or degrade the image by scaling it when in backwards compatibility mode, the Vita is exactly double the resolution horizontally and vertically of the PSP.

So there will be no need to play games in windowed mode in their native resolution and there's absolutely no reason why upscaling to fill the screen will negatively affect the image.

User Info: VirtuaRacing

VirtuaRacing
7 years ago#4
That was a bit stupid of Sony to reduce the TV out picture size. I've played Gran Turismo via Component on a 52" screen and I was looking at something like a 32" PSP window in the middle. In other words the machine because we grew up in the Sega Saturn and PSone era and still play the games today that the 32" PSP window looked fine to me super sized...

Don't forget Sega Rally, that was cool on PSP.
XBL Gamertag: F40

User Info: model3

model3
7 years ago#5
yes, most likely its only the PSN, psp games. but i thought they seemed to indicate there was a chance for umd only game.s...... but probalby not.
ashame we couldn't rip thegame on to the flash memory somehow.....
i guess i'll have to use a hack firmware for PSVita that will allow us to run 'umd' psp games on the vita. ; )

it will be interesting to see how well the vita displays and runs psp1 games.
XBL & PSN: AM2Model3
DaytonaUSA XBLA/PSN AfterburnerClimax XBLA/PSN L.A.Machineguns Wii

Atariboy1982
7 years ago#6
VirtuaRacing, the PSP doesn't have an internal scaler and there isn't excess processing power available to upscale the image when running a game. That's why the image is windowed like it is since the PSP is outputting a 480x272 image.

Only the dashboard, videos, and such are upscaled (And they're also the only things affected by the 4:3 and 16:9 settings in the dashboard). And that's also why the aspect ratio is all screwed up for gameplay on a television if you ever look closely. (The proportions of a pixel on a PSP screen are different than that of a television, resulting in a botched aspect ratio when using tv/out for a PSP game when the tv displays the 480x272 output of the PSP).

Kind of a sucky situation all around (Including controller support being limited to the model that doesn't even play UMD's). But I suppose it beats the situation on the Vita where tv/out just is nonexistent.

User Info: VirtuaRacing

VirtuaRacing
7 years ago#7
Indeed any TV out is better than nothing.
XBL Gamertag: F40
  1. Boards
  2. OutRun Online Arcade
  3. I wish Sega had made Outrun 2006 available on PSN for the PSP...
  • Topic Archived