• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: bassyura

bassyura
7 years ago#1
Hasn't there been bad blood between Nintendo and both Squaresoft and Enix since the N64?

It's understandable that they give them handhelds because Nintendo has dominance, but why their console? What's the change of heart?
This hand of mine is coursing with the Power of Magnetism! It tells me to crush Capitalism!
Here I go, GADGETO FINGAH!!!

User Info: CranberryPSO

CranberryPSO
7 years ago#2
The "bad blood" as you put it has been resolved.

GameCube had Square-Enix games such as Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. The Wii has a number of Square-Enix games such as Crystal Bearers and Chocobo Dungeon.

I'm not sure why Nintendo still doesn't get any mainstream Final Fantasy games.
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2

User Info: bassyura

bassyura
7 years ago#3
CranberryPSO posted...
The "bad blood" as you put it has been resolved.

GameCube had Square-Enix games such as Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. The Wii has a number of Square-Enix games such as Crystal Bearers and Chocobo Dungeon.

I'm not sure why Nintendo still doesn't get any mainstream Final Fantasy games.

Crystal Chronicles seems like an odd release in 2003. It wasn't until 2007, four years later, that they started releasing titles for their console @least one per year.

There must still have been some tension between the two, or it may be because PS2 had a lead @ the time.

Who knows? It's weird that any subsequent main FF isn't on Nintendo hardware, but DQ8 is the only DQ not on Nintendo.
This hand of mine is coursing with the Power of Magnetism! It tells me to crush Capitalism!
Here I go, GADGETO FINGAH!!!

User Info: CranberryPSO

CranberryPSO
7 years ago#4
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles was essentially what marked the end of the bad blood between Square and Nintendo.
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2

User Info: Spike

Spike
6 years ago#5
That was all resolved nearly 10 years ago. I believe that the reason we never saw any FF titles on the Gamecube(other then that spin-off) is that SquareEnix had a deal with Sony to release the main titles exclusively on their systems. In recent years we've started to see them come out for X-Box as well though, so that's obviously changed.

I think the reason for them not coming out on Wii is because they found it to risky. Unfortunately, most companies saw the Wii as a casual gaming system. None of the big name hardcore titles were released for it. The GameCube had the same problem, even though it was seen as a hardcore gaming console. The reason the GameCube got neglected is probably because it was the least successful system of it's generation(after the Dreamcast anyway). Smaller user base = less chance to make a decent profit. It did manage to get a couple mainline Resident Evil titles though.
"They look so *** damn like the same person, I say to them "you want ice cream cones?" both of them say yes!" - Mario Twins
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A