• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: RealYorae

RealYorae
6 years ago#21
Sir Gareth - Curse of Shadows 3, Dragon's Breath 4, Dragon Eyes 2, Gift of Avalon 1, Arcane Affinity 4, Spellweaving 1, Lightning 1

Curse of Shadows had to be bumped up to 3 to deal with the Viking Archers and is a very effective spell. Dragon's Breath however has been boosted to max since last we reviewed, and this is because of the synergy it has with Spellweaving. 9 times out of 10, if the enemy has cavalry and there are VL's the enemy will send a few light cavalry units out to snag them. Gareth wins most engagements simply by casting dragons breath the moment the forces clash. 55 Mana for 40% kill. Cavalry are 36 unit squads usually so 15 die, meaning 40 mana to kill almost half a unit. That is efficient. With all the magic stat boosts, Gareth is sitting comfortably at 400 mana with 1mana/10sec recovery and unless I start throwing out lightning bolts his mana can last him through the whole battle. Gareth single-handedly kills 100-200 soldiers of the opposing force which is almost a third.

Alternative Options - He kills a third of the enemy.. I think there should be no alternative! However some other options are still considered. The main one being the hold spell. I am considering replacing lightning with hold. Since lightning was just a free spell acquired from the Seelie when he was sent and got the extra magic, I don't feel too bad replacing it, and I don't see much value in having every spell in his list a nuke, especially with the quick cooldowns on his current spells. The issue is I have a long term goal for him to learn this Shifting Pools spell for army teleportation and that will have to replace something so wasting points. Which brings us to the passive. Ward seems to be one of the only spots left for points to go for the time being. Cavalry tend to be prime targets for spells so the possibility of spellblock is worth it and probably where most of the points will be going.

Sir Balan - Cleave 4(6), Mighty Blow 4, Rage 4, Last Stand 1, Magic Resistance 1

Every swing hits 7 people, every swing has a massive range and does massive damage. Rage makes him swing faster and he just shreds through enemy units in comparison to the rest of the team. He is however quite a bit more vulnerable so be sure to be using the last stand on him before engaging another hero, especially in wedge formation. Having Kay with the Magic Resist means Balan can save his for emergencies or use the mana for more cleave depending. I focus entirely on raising his damage output so fight is everything for him so long as he has enough mana. Next points will probably go to Enchanted Equipment for the passive 15% boosts to damage.

Alternative Options - There are none. I see no other way to build him and be more effective. you might shift the points around or do it in a slightly different order, but I couldn't see him being more effective with any changes done to this set-up.
It is not things, but opinions about things that have absolutely no existence, which have so deranged mankind! - Nietzsche

RealYorae
6 years ago#22
So how's your economy? If it's anything like mine, you are now running a deficit though not a large one, I seem to be lacking in finding financial ladies to marry off to the reigning folks, but I have a good nest egg of 200k gold/food, The provincial income at 25% tax even with forced labour is just barely enough to maintain two full armies, but as I researched new techs to get to Champions/Elite Cavalry for my cavalry their cost sky-rocketed for upkeep.

Remember if your economy is starting to show signs of breaking stop researching military techs, while the stronger units are always nice, rushing ahead could ruin everything financially. While nothing drastic should be done to alleviate the issue initially, if you fall below 100k resources I recommend taking extensive measures to get it under control and review your fiefdoms/lieges/ladies and reigning artifacts.

You can get by with having someone like Mark married to a financial lady and wearing all reign gear while traveling and switching out for his battle gear before entering combat and it will make a substantial difference. 5000 gold *.25% tax *150% wife * 130% 10 reign = 2250 gold profit in a fiefdom versus 1287 without. 3 fiefdoms like that can make a huge difference.

Not much else I can recommend, it is up to you to watch the books and make sure you aren't advancing militarily too much to afford. In a dire emergency we can furlough the secondary knights to offset their costs, but they and the province become useless for the duration. i.e. temporarily send the troops home and call off the taxes. Real humanitarian stuff.

So research some more stuff and build some things. Nothing in particular shines as extremely necessary but you can get extra skill points for your heroes with some buildings and the artifact in the anvil workplace is always a good investment.
It is not things, but opinions about things that have absolutely no existence, which have so deranged mankind! - Nietzsche

RealYorae
6 years ago#23
Some of this is going to have to be redone for order correction, but that will be all dealt with when the organization period comes at the end.

The Smiling Prince -

This adventure is easy for the most part, but difficult if you don't read your quest logs. Run around talking to everyone you can in a respectable manner, and find out about the test of knowledge. Challenge the Seelie warrior to the test. The first question is the hardest. For quick reference the answer is diamond. Basically if "It is not the ruby" Is false one of the others would have to be false, which isn't possible. So Ruby statement is true. If it's true then "it is the emerald" is false, and diamond or emerald is true or false. Meaning it's the diamond!

The second question is about the homeland of the Sidhe, which is Tir Na nOg. One of your heroes spent 2 years there. The Vision quest is all about Tir Na nOg as well. This guy is aware you know about his cultures secret dueling rituals, but thinks you wouldn't know the name of his capital? The final question stumped me, but is in the chronicle (second option on left bar) It's Dana. Then you get a "magically forged sword" Mine was a leadership helmet... not exactly the sword I thought it was going to be.

Ghosts in the Mist -

Oh fun. This side mission will always appear slightly after your alliance, and it seems to always spawn in Dumonia but that is unverified. There are a few ways to deal with this battle depending on your military forces. The first plan is direct combat. The battle will always have a fog setting so you will need dragon eyes. Dragon's Breath is useful for the 3000 hp units. Curse of Shadows will have almost no use here since they have no archers and all the groups are small 5-6 troops per squad.

You want to send one unit through the woods towards the far away VL's, and Gareth on his cavalry the other way casting as many dragon's breaths as you can, but spare enough for the eyes. The less enemies you face the better as the drain life aura makes these enemies very resilient. Let your archers fire at will as soon as you can and use any cooldowns you have, masterful tactics, dragon eyes, cloud of arrows if you have it. (my Master Bowman have a swift arrow cooldown) As the enemy approaches fan shield wall formations move the knights altogether with Balan or Kay's Magic Resistance up (Alternate and keep up as long as possible) and Marks' guardian Angel, and cast Last Stands.

You really want a TON of magic resistance. The drain life ability is an aura that saps your health seemingly regardless if the enemy hits you or not, and it is pure magic based. So the longer this fight goes on the less magic resist you have which means the enemies become more durable. If you can get Mark to be the one to engage the enemy hero do so as his guardian angel will help negate the breathstealer ability and the enemy heroes damage output overall.

The only other thing to watch for are the cavalry troops, I set my reserve infantry in a half moon shield wall on the flanks and rear with the knights being the front. The only way to beat lifesteal is to end the match quickly. So once the fighting starts it will be over in 2 minutes flat or it will start going poorly for you.

RealYorae
6 years ago#24
Alternative tactics -

Online resources suggest a lot of people have issues with this mission, and due to it's negative effects on the province they have to do it. So there is a cheap way to do this as well. Dagonet with light infantry and cavalry squads. No more then 5 units. Say 3 cavalry and 2 infantry. Dagonet's special when he is the leader is an increased woods movement and 15% movement increase in general.

The enemy has no archers so you can kite the undead through woods and take the VL's out from underneath them. Using the fog to your advantage you can jump into woods not even 20 meters away from the enemy and they will lose you from the fog hide. Letting you dart out, cap the VL's and re-enter the woods. usually one unit will be chased by the majority of the enemy force and you can try to magic down some of the roaming squads. (Storm + Lightning is quite effective but mana costly) You can also give Dagonet the magic regeneration artifact for this fight if necessary.

You won't get much experience for the troops, but sometimes it's more important to win the battle with minimal losses then it is to win the battle. While I don't recommend this strategy, it's good to know the AI limitations and the power of Fog.

War with Cynic -

This is what caused the issue with re-organizing. I didn't realize he had 2 provinces so now I should have done Smiling prince first to avoid the long march back and then back to the Cynic to go fight him off. It's still debatable which to deal with first, but either one should be completed instead of walking back and forth but I digress.

Morale of the story is that he has 2 provinces and we still need to take one more. Note there is a quest in this province but it is from chapter 3 so be wary about starting it. Nothing has really changed with his Knights, Preacher and Champion combos, though he also had one with the whirlwind spell. The troops are simply regular soldiers, (bowmen, breakshields, cavalry) though they do have quite a bit of experience.

Honestly "war" with the smaller provinces feels more like the random battles in a RPG game as they have thus far, weaker knights and military both in numbers and quality. They keep spawning random assortments but they are terrible. I highly doubt if you made it this far that the battles here would require a detailed deployment and execution explanation and since it's near impossible due to how random they are, consider wars a place to practice the basics or test new units and strategies of your own.

RealYorae
6 years ago#25
War with the Saxons - Capture Norfolk -

This is a massive campaign and I am now testing the options in dealing with this now or maintaining war with Cynic until other quest lines are done but we shall see how it goes. For now this is just a compilation of info regarding what to expect right after the war with Cynic.

This quest had begun earlier but due to the buffer zone between the forces of the east, you can completely ignore this mission until everything else is done, while this will mean you will be dealing with consistent incursions from King Cynic, his forces should only appear one squad every 2 years which can easily be managed until ready for the following campaign.

A brief summary looks like about 5-6 full armies with 2-4 heroes in each for the opposing forces. It will either take a very efficient and safe Kay with Masterful Strategies full and swapping the cavalry units for the reserve infantry after awhile due to high casualties, or multiple armies moving forward, or a main and nearby reserve.

The Saxons won't send too many knights outside of their lands at once, but trying to press into their lands will result in about 2-3 battles in a row without reprieve so come very prepared. While a good portion of the Saxon forces will be level appropriate there appears to be 3 enemy Knights on their team preset to level 20 up by the Keep near Norfolk. Possibly placed as a "check" commonly seen in many games to prevent early attempts at the stronghold.

The majority of these knights are Christian Champions with basic cleave and enchantments mixed with a bit of Christian Uniques like Sanctuary and Burning Magic.
Burning magic being the most dangerous of all their spells and only dangerous to Gareth in particular as they can eat his huge mana pool and damage his low health pool considerably. i recommend outranging and casting as many spells as possible on Gareth to empty his magic, and put points into ward to hopefully luck out and cancel the spells altogether.

The other knights tend to be warlords and are actually quite terrible with a weak 1wedge/wall master tactics and little else. However at times they seem to also have the whilrwind spell which has to be one of the most offensive spells going completely decimating any unit it hits and no way to resist from what I see. If you didn't have Masterful strategies you could possibly lose an entire unit and have no way to counter other then possibly getting the Seraph dispel or another hero with a dispel.

There is the occasional preacher but they are the same as they always have been since Cynic with only a bit more mana and on occasion a random unique. It is up to you how you want to deal with this war, whether it be in a slow progression into their lands or a sudden two army blitz, but remember when blitzing to expect 2-3 counterattacks on the first season. After that you can press them and it will take 2 years fro their forces to recover giving plenty of time to occupy provinces reducing their overall power or to recruit more forces and strike the heart and take the stronghold.

Alternatively another good blitz technique is to take all settlement locations where you can recruit to prevent the enemy from being able to recruit, as a priority over provincial ownership.

RealYorae
6 years ago#26
Placeholder post, holiday season and all so been busy, plus working out different methods of approaching the quest chains.

RealYorae
6 years ago#27
So all this was over the course of a work week but i will be finishing this probably on the weekend or during this week.

RealYorae
6 years ago#28
Alright and we return to start finishing this walkthrough off. So after trying a few different ways of dealing with Norfolk and the other chapter 2 quests we are left with some serious considerations.

The biggest balance issues at this stage of the game and seemingly after this most things will become considerably easier I would say this is the last hurdle in the game really. To destroy Norfolk or to deal with the Welsh. Or both.

What I had done in my testing and a good place to balance yourself as well was maintaining the alliance with the Welsh while crushing Norfolk back all the way to the stronghold, I even took the stronghold as there was a unit on the side village recruiting. As long as this village is not taken in the Norfolk area the enemy will spawn here and recruit troops for 2 years then march out in which you go stomp them and the cycle resets.

The reason I was doing this is because the turn after you take Norfolk causes a wave of events pushing towards chapter 3 including the dead gates of Samhain which are quite difficult to deal with, and if you decide to break the alliance with the welsh you get war with 2 provinces there as well.

Now I'm not here to tell you how to run your nation but the easiest way to deal with this without getting overwhelmed is to have one army ready to break the alliance with the welsh and one army to take down the Norfolk troops and neutralize them for 2 years while dealing with the rebellion and then heading back to Norfolk to finish them off. But there is a side quest we can do in the interim.

The Lost Monastery -

This is a relatively easy adventure quest because our stats are quite high by this time, always look at the adventure to see what kind of stats may be needed. Little symbols tell the main stats needed for the adventure inside. Be nice and support the old faith when talking to hermits and whatnot and you should get through relatively fine, then move to chasing after Guinevere which appears just lightly north of here. this time it's a raven you should help then listen too closely as it tells you pretty much the whole way though what to do. Again a lot of this depends on personal preference and will impact your morality slightly but it's never something you can't fix. I stole the sword here and it was a pretty good lifestealing blade if that interests you but gives you tyrant morality.

Also I noticed all my artifact rewards were going to my second army now for some reason if they don't finish the quest personally so if it's missing check your other knights.

The Pact -

Here's the plan, leave on army near the pact and one army at Norfolk, when the Norfolk troops leave their one small settlement you left them, crush them and begin moving to the closest standing stone. Then use the standing stone to warp to your other capital. While beginning the quest The Pact with the other army.

(OPTIONAL - For additional security in Norfolk you can recruit a band of expendable troops, I recommend Heavy infantry or long shields and archers to damage anyone who would attack the stronghold while away to give you a little longer then 2 years to get everything under control)

Completing the Pact is easy with high fight, just win the duel and hire Caradoc. Caradoc sucks for the most part, he's Tyrant which means poor loyalty for us, he's level 9 and has some of the worst knight traits I have seen yet. He does however have crystal shards and spell weaving. An Unseelie spell we won't have easy access to. I gave him some artifacts and put him in group 2 for now as I am lacking knights but he is by far the most replaceable in my groups.

RealYorae
6 years ago#29
Rebels of Sugare-

So the battle with the Welsh rebels is overall pretty easy. I tried to let Dagonet and his band of merry men do most of the battling since they needed the experience in comparison. This also let me try the new knight Caradoc and I ended up grabbing another random knight to round out the group to 4 knights per squad.

I know in the last page I said Caradoc was terrible because his traits are bad and his loyalty is always dropping, as well as his alignment is wrong too. But after witnessing him in combat, and seeing the advantage of a champion with spellweaving and cleave, he could very well become one of your strongest warriors if you can deal with all his negative aspects.

The two provinces are supposed to be at war with each other but from what I can see they only attacked me. each group had about 2 good armies before they were reeling and taken over. Their forces were mostly comprised of regular troop set-ups with the Sidhe hero spell types so expect lots of Dragon's breath on expensive units. (If too expensive you may want to exchange out cavalry for cheaper more expendable infantry units) Curse of Shadows will happen to archer clusters if too confined so keep them spread a touch with horde formation and ready to move out at a moments notice and a venom spell here and there but not that common anymore. Champs cleave and dragon strike but nothing of note amongst all of them.

These battles are basically an experience farm and the only thing that makes it difficult at all is the time constraints since the the Norfolk will get back on their feet rather quickly and you might lose a province here and there out that way, or you can take Norfolk and deal with the Samhain spawning a new undead unit once a year. It's up to you. I tried both ways and felt the Samhain forces gave me considerable difficulty due to higher casualties wearing my army out faster which is why I recommended the other method of trouncing them and letting Norfolk recover over a 2 year span.

Once the rebels are destroyed and the strongholds both captured make sure to raze some buildings in your strongholds to match your alignment. Rightful Wards, Old Faith Sacred Tree as well as the Library for hero skill points. What buildings to keep oterhwsie are up to you but these 3 are important for character maximization.

RealYorae
6 years ago#30
Placeholder post, finishing off those provinces and dealing with the Samhain took about 12 battles because of random events popping up that also needed to be cleared so no real game progress lately but don't want the thread to lock. I am still working on this.
  • Topic Archived