• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. DiRT 2
  3. Why all this hatred in the online mode?

User Info: Rheinmetal

Rheinmetal
9 years ago#1

Is it for the trophies? Is it..."fun"? Is it because the average age of players is 12 years old? But then again this hasn't anything to do with ages. It has to do with civilization. Still I can't understand why 99% of players drive dirty in this game. I have played some other games in their online mode and I know how bad things are on multiplayer, but this... I haven't seen this situation ANYWHERE else. At the end I had to drive dirty myself too in order to win some races. Unfortunately there isn't other way.

At the end of the day I think it's the games's fault that doesn't discourage dirty playing. If you bump too many cars, you get a red icon next to your name. So what? This means nothing. The offenders should have been banned at least for a short period of time, or receive some kind of penalty. There isn't other way. Otherwise the online mode of Dirt 2 will remain a jungle.

User Info: ARC_NoOne

ARC_NoOne
9 years ago#2

A lot of it depends on who you are racing against.
I get clean races regularly.

I race public matches to find people to have private matches with though.
When you find people who pass you cleanly even when collisions are off, those are the ones you want to send friend requests to.

User Info: lkasnu

lkasnu
9 years ago#3
I know how you feel. I enjoy clean races, but when it comes to Online play, you have to be dirty. If you play clean, you're going to end up in 8th every single time.
"I don't think our Death Ray is working. I'm standing in it and I'm not dead yet." - Jamie Hyneman

User Info: Dragonistic

Dragonistic
9 years ago#4

The simple fix, get a friend or 2 and host your own Jam Sessions, the extra numbers will attract other players then you can kick dirty players at your discretion. I host regularly and yea dirty players join but they don't stay for long and you can kick them before they even get to race if you recognise them.

User Info: Rheinmetal

Rheinmetal
9 years ago#5
Dragonistic posted...

The simple fix, get a friend or 2 and host your own Jam Sessions, the extra numbers will attract other players then you can kick dirty players at your discretion. I host regularly and yea dirty players join but they don't stay for long and you can kick them before they even get to race if you recognise them.

I noticed that too. In Jam sessions things are better.

ARC_NoOne
9 years ago#6

I still can't understand what is so hard about tracking the number of collisions someone has, dividing that by the number of races they've run, and allowing the user to set the level they are willing to race against.
That would let the best drivers get great matches, and would leave the idiots crashing into each other.

If you have too many collisions, you would have to go somewhere else and learn how NOT to hit stuff before you can race me again.

It's such a simple idea.

Dragonistic
9 years ago#7
Except when a guy hits you multiple times, how the game would measure magnitude (and thus seriousness of contact therein the intent of the driver) and also it can't work out who to blame. For example, in rallycross and other simultaneous racing there's often alot of contact which is completely unintentional, but say a guy races for the first time and gets put into a game where he gets beat down multiple times by dirty drivers, his stats are then skewed massively and unfairly they will be locked out of other rooms. In short, it's not difficult to track those stats but it is difficult to make it fair so 2 (or more if there's collateral) drivers aren't penalised for ones mistake and the effects will not relate directly to the cause (also different race modes will skew the stats as well as public/private racers and such).

Some games use a rep system but then that is abused as someone will minus rep you out of pure spite if you win and such. Unfortunately, we game in an environment where there is a large proportion of individuals who lack integrity or honesty (online gaming as a whole). Other games hand out penalties like slowing the cars for limited periods but that doesn't make up for the massive damage that can be caused by a deliberate shunt.

The answer is even more simple then tracking individuals (not to mention shared accounts and the fact that people can change) and that is having full control of the lobby which you are in, through a kick button for the host and the host only, it allows you to start a game either alone or with friends and control who deserves to stay. Dirt 2 gives us this luxury and I for one am thankful, impact ratings is a little guideline as I know to be aware of red drivers with green and yellow being generally ok, the only problem is you have to wait until the end of each race to do that.

ARC_NoOne
9 years ago#8

If the contact is light and mutual, like side rubbing while trying for the same line, both players should be penalized slightly for not avoiding it.

If the contact is heavy, and one car is to the rear of the other, the rearmost car should be heavily penalized for it.
It is the duty of the trailing car to pass the lead car cleanly.
The people using other cars for brakes should have to go to "training" rooms before being allowed back in with the good drivers.

I would also support a system that would disqualify drivers mid-race for severe contact.
That would get them out of that race immediately, and hopefully they would get bored waiting for the next race, and find a different room.
Dirt 2 has a bit of that, if a driver goes the wrong way on the track, etc..., but nothing directly related to collisions.

Dragonistic
9 years ago#9
Drivers aren't even penalised for small contact like rubbing in most racing series, I see no reason why minor contact is punishable at all. As for the heavy contact, the dirty drivers will start brake checking from infront (they do on other titles which hand out speed penalties in a similar manner) in order to give the following driver a penalty, and again in real racing it's not just up to the chasing car with things like the one move rule in operation in most track series (so you can only move to block once on a straight).

If you watched the F1 this weekend, Schumachers 'block' on Barrichello is an example of the lead car being out of line. The fact of the matter is it's very difficult for a computer to work out who caused an accident and the only real way is a human eye and logic, which is why I take the liberty of hosting and my party members will relay to me who needs kicking and who's pushing their luck. You'll quickly weed out bad drivers with just yourself and a friend communicating and with host.

ARC_NoOne
9 years ago#10

I fully agree that private rooms are the BEST solution.
For the public rooms I'd still like to see a karma-based system though.
I think it offers the best chances of grouping like-minded people together.

What I'd specifically like to see is the ability to set up a public room that only allows players with "x" percentage of karma to join.
This would let YOU set the level of cleanliness YOU want in YOUR race....while still keeping it in a public room.
That would allow others to join who meet your standards, but aren't on your friend's list.

I haven't seen this offered in a game yet.
The closest thing I've seen to this is the Aggression/Precision rating system in Shift.

I would actually take that a step farther though.
Any Aggressive driving would subtract from your Precision driving, resulting in a single overall level.
This would also reward things like clean passing, so the occasional collision would be less critical.
It would also cut down on the brake-checking problem you described above because there would be no immediate reward to the lead driver for brake-checking.

1. Boards
  2. DiRT 2
  3. Why all this hatred in the online mode?
  • Topic Archived