• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tropico 3
  3. newbie questions

User Info: iIIuminati

iIIuminati
10 years ago#11
Nothing too major.
Liberty goes down a little and respect will go down, especially with the Intellectuals but if you have a good education system it's no big deal.
Except with Martial Law, I think that edict decreases productivity.

We watch. And we are always there.

User Info: melvintonigus

melvintonigus
10 years ago#12
here some tips when you get start:
1) good leader is the one who know everything about their island, so first you must look what resource do you have on your island such as iron, gold, etc. and also look at crops thats have a good price when exported, crop that have a good price is tobacco, sugar, and coffee (i will call it as export crop). After you know about your island condition, try build two farm of export crop, and if you still have some money, at least 9000. try build mine, because mine is the fastest income-maker (dont forget to build garage near them so teamster can export faster).

2)build a diplomatic ministry after that and activate nuclear test that make you have additional money, and wait until one year and you get financial aid from us andd ussr, i think your money now enough for build restaurant or at least pub to make your people happy. after that you can build immigration office to solve your problems about worker.

3)wait again after you have more money to build another income-maker bilding. or you can build church to make your people happy, thats important because you have an election every 5 years and to make your relation with the USSR better or at least neutral to activate USSR edict that can cut the price of your housing building like tenement or apartement.

4)dont forget about military, i think they are the most dangerous faction when they turn agaist you. When they dont like you too much, you will get coup, and if they succeed they will destroy your palace and thats means game over so try build military base in four years when you start and activate military modernization, believe me it works to make them happy.

5)more years and you have more money, you can build industry building and make it easier for you to make money, oh yeah remember to build suggestion building when you have more money to make them elect you.

User Info: soran66

soran66
10 years ago#13

but what is that 'suggestion building you mentioned' ??

my main problem is that i end up having a big population quickly and i can't manage to supply everything in time, i still manage to get elected in the first two elections no prob, but they just ignore all the housing stuff i made for them and go in shacks, and i end up wasting money trying to improve the situation there and totally end up late for supplying military and education facilities x.x

i took a break of the game for a while, but i think i'll get back to it later on.

i built the embassy but i still get foreigners immigrating even when i have it to 'no immigration' it's really annoying me, by the 20th year, i start having food problems :/

i'm sure i'll get the hang of it sooner or later xD but this immigration issue is really the only thing annoying me lol
PSN: devil_prince11

iIIuminati
10 years ago#14
The game will suggest buildings for you, usually Apartments or Tenements, meaning you have alot of shacks.
To get rid of the shacks do this:

..Build more Apartments and Tenements but build them where they are needed. If you have a few farms and a garage out in the boonies, that's alot of workers that need a place to sleep. If the good housing is too far they will build shacks.

..Enable the Same Sex Marriage edict. All the good housing accommodates a certain number of families, so allowing same sex marriages effectively doubles the available space. It requires a Liberty score of 70, which is pretty steep. To get Liberty up enable Sensitivity Training, hold off on the Litter edict and build some a Newspaper or some TV and Radio stations.

On a side note, make sure your transportation system is effective.
Tropicans will drive as far as the roads go and then walk the rest of the way, so make sure your roads go up to the logging camps and farms.
Make sure there is a Garage built at both ends, your workers need a car to get there and get back.

The Fisherman's Wharfs are good food producers. Spread them out around your coastline, next to Oil Refineries and Garages. Then build markets in the middle of your residential areas.

Once you get your Island running smoothly you'll find that instead of having too many immigrants, you won't have enough. In one game I had a population of 2150 or so and even then I had building that weren't fully staffed.

User Info: melvintonigus

melvintonigus
10 years ago#15
for soran66 :
Suggestion building is the building that wanted by your people, it usually church, apartment, tenement, newspaper, clinic,etc, it usually appears at top left of your screen at building screen menu, if you play tropico in xbox, press Y and then press X (i dont know about pc).

the problem you have about housing is simply easy, just build your apartment or your housing building anywhere you want, but try avoid to build it near your industry building, that make pollution, and build garage near your housing building and your industry or farming building, because your people need to go home and work fast, beside it make your people housing satisfaction increased, it also fasten your income, then select destroy building and destroy the shacks (dont change the rent pay). Oh just to know i always have more than 10 garage in one island.

about immigration, you should activate open doors till you have 400 people in your island, and then activate no immigration, because women in your island may become pregnant, so even when you activate no immigration policy, your population may increase slowly (note : i always targeted that i have no more than 500 people in one island, so you can consider the best strategy for your island).

-hope this useful-

iIIuminati
10 years ago#16
Apparently I was having a problem with plurals when I wrote my last post...

1. Boards
  2. Tropico 3
  3. newbie questions
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A