• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tropico 3
  3. Outlawing the Religious Faction

User Info: iIIuminati

iIIuminati
10 years ago#1
I've found the Religious Faction to be the most troublesome and now I outlaw them in every game.
Here's why:
- Their buildings are expensive and serve no purpose but to propagate itself. Every citizen that enters a church has a chance to be converted. the more people converted, the more churches then cathedrals you have to build which just converts more people.
- You gain nothing by having a high religious approval. They don't make you money, in fact they are money pits and they complain about many profitable enterprises.
- Your Stadium will make more money if you Let the Taps Flow
- You can pick the Booze Baron trait will no ill effect

Be careful!
The Outlaw Faction edict is expensive, so by the time you use it any faction is going to have supporters, half of which will become rebels. This can be a problem if your army is not strong. This is also awesome if your are a veteran of the game, I've been able to get my rebel count into the 100's by waiting to outlaw a faction. The Militarists love me.

We watch. And we are always there.

User Info: Nikos_the_great

Nikos_the_great
10 years ago#2
You'll inevitably build a church sooner or later cause even citizens that aren't converted have religion as a need. Also they're pretty easy to satisfy (just build churches/cathedrals). There are other factions that are more of a pain in the ass, like the environmentalists, imo.

iIIuminati
10 years ago#3
I disagree.
I've played many games without building a single church, or better, building 1 church and immediately converting into my Secret Police HQ just for s**** and giggles.
Yes, for awhile until you can outlaw them, you will take a hit in popularity with the Religious Faction, however if you aren't building churches their numbers won't increase very quickly.
By the time you can outlaw them you will find they are the smallest faction and if you have been keeping the other factions relatively happy the lack of the Religious vote won't matter.

The things the Environmentalists complain about are also affecting your living conditions, beauty and your tourism rating, so it is beneficial to do what they suggest even if politics weren't involved.

The same can be said about most of the other factions too:
The Militarists demands reflect the happiness of your Soldiers and Generals, you want these people happy.
The Communists reflect your people, you can't make millions exploiting the natural resources of your small paradise if your farmers, miners and teamsters are mad at you.
The Capitalists reflect your economy, I like building lots of expensive things so income is always my number one priority
The Intellectuals reflect your educated work force in which you will find the majority of your factory workers and your oil workers.
Appeasing the above will have a positive effect socially, economically, politically and militarily.

The Loyalists and Nationalists are fairly worthless but they are also fairly easy to appease. I have no problem building a rotating Golden Statue of myself, right in front of the airport so the tourists immediately know who's in charge here.

The only thing you gain by appeasing the Religious Faction is more religious people to appease. They are expensive and virulent if you keep building churches and they gain you absolutely nothing.

Oh, haha, and just to be clear here, I'm not some Militant Atheist subjecting his personal views onto a game. In real life I'm a fairly spiritual and open-minded person.
I've just played alot of Tropico 3.

User Info: The_Sword_88

The_Sword_88
10 years ago#4
I find the environmentalists to be the most annoying followed by the religious and intellectuals. I like to mine and burn coal!
E8500@3.7ghz, GTX 470 SLI, 8 GB OCZ Plat1066, Win7 Ult x64
Gamertag:TheRoyalKnight PSN:TheRoyalKnight88

iIIuminati
10 years ago#5

I find the environmentalists to be the most annoying followed by the religious and intellectuals. I like to mine and burn coal!

I'm playing Absolute Power which allows you to build wind turbines for green energy, maybe that's why they don't bug me very much.

User Info: The_Sword_88

The_Sword_88
10 years ago#6
I see. I have absolute power as well. I usually build the power plant for 50% off with the usa aid thing. I'll have to try using wind turbines and see if the environmentalists are less obnoxious.
E8500@3.7ghz, GTX 470 SLI, 8 GB OCZ Plat1066, Win7 Ult x64
Gamertag:TheRoyalKnight PSN:TheRoyalKnight88

iIIuminati
10 years ago#7
They're great and small so you put power anywhere you want with out much hassle.
I use them exclusively.

The Environmentalists are never too mad at me, I mine and log and build newspapers but I use green energy and build adequate garbage dumps with the Recycling option active and that seems to be enough.

I use Tourism as an income source so it's good to keep the island on the beautiful side, while at the same time cutting down all the trees for my furniture sweatshops, digging up all the iron for my weapons factory and getting my propaganda out to the rebellious subjects.

iIIuminati
10 years ago#8
I have no idea why I capitalized tourism.
  1. Boards
  2. Tropico 3
  3. Outlawing the Religious Faction
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A