• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Banjo-Tooie
  3. Mary Conary still imposable

User Info: Violet_Runner

Violet_Runner
8 months ago#1
So I’ve played the game on the N64 and was never able to beat Mary Conary in Cloud Cuckooland but managed to beat her the first time on the X-Box version. The second time however, I’m am able to keep pace with her for 99.9% of the race but NO MATTER HOW FAST I’m going she always speeds up at the last second and beats me.

Apparently Rare has been aware of the problem since it’s original release from the N64 so does anyone know if they are planning to release an update that fixes that or have any tips to beating her other than “keep pace than spend up at the end” because I’m doing that and she still beats me.

User Info: Excalibur

Excalibur
8 months ago#2
Violet_Runner posted...
any tips to beating her other than “keep pace than spend up at the end” because I’m doing that and she still beats me.

Your timing must be off. Keep pace with her for the whole race (maybe let her lead a little) then speed up as fast as you can about 5-10 seconds away from the goal. You don't have to wait until the very last moment, her rubber-banding take a bit to actually kick in.
A barrel roll would be unnecessary and dangerous.

Violet_Runner
8 months ago#3
No she spends up the second that she enters the frame box of the purple island regardless if I’m behind her or beside her. And if I’m in front of her she gets a double speed boost.

User Info: Excalibur

Excalibur
8 months ago#4
That's normal, unfortunately. You either have to get a far enough lead at the right time and/or just be really good at button mashing.
A barrel roll would be unnecessary and dangerous.

Violet_Runner
8 months ago#5
Oh my god! Holy s***! I did it. Don’t ask me how but I did it. I have no idea how I won. One second she rubberbanded in front of me but the next when the camera angle changed I was in front of her and won.

https://pics.me.me/well-ya-got-me-by-all-accounts-it-doesntmake-sense-13823845.png

My finger hurts like hell but man is it satisfying to finally have that last Cheato page after all these years. Oh my god.
  1. Boards
  2. Banjo-Tooie
  3. Mary Conary still imposable
  • Post New Message