Can't install, anything, at all

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm
  3. Can't install, anything, at all

User Info: SKARDAVNELNATE

SKARDAVNELNATE
5 years ago#1
Got Heart of the Swarm in the mail yesterday. I've been trying to install it for the past 16 hours.
First it wants to download files instead of installing directly from the disc, which is what I bought it for.
Part way through downloading it always says lost connection then when I run it the 2nd time it's frozen on "initializing..." So I uninstall and start over.
Now it won't get past "Updating Blizzard Update Agent..."

I tried posting on the Blizzard forum but apparently even that is too complex since it's not letting me.
No locked doors, no windows barred. No more things to make my brain seem SKARD.

SKARDAVNELNATE
5 years ago#2
Also I tried installing wings of liberty to see If I would have better luck with that version. At least it installs from the disc but it won't download the updates. I found a list of updates at patches scrolls. However the 1.4.4 pacth gets stuck in a loop of repeating 1.1.0.16561 indefinitely. Then starting with 1.5.0 I'm lost as to what to do with them since they aren't executables.

Can someone explain what to do with these?
http://www.patches-scrolls.com/starcraft2.php

SKARDAVNELNATE
5 years ago#3
Was just chatting with support.

I stated I was already frustrated from the game failing to install and I asked where I'm suppose to get a character from in order to post on the forum.

In return I get an attitude about how the disc is useless because it doesn't have the official installer on it.
It's a disc, from a box, yet it's not official?
Then he says how the one for download one is SO GREAT belittling my purchase of a physical copy even more.

I had to mention twice that I might return the game because it won't install and he kept trying to get me to register the key so that I can't.

Never answered my question about the forum.
Wanted me to use the key before it was demonstrated that the game works.
Horrible disregard for a customer who bought a collector's edition.

User Info: anothermaverick

anothermaverick
5 years ago#4
Hi
I encountered a similar problem too. But apparently... the WOL update has included the SWARM expansion.

I could not install HOTS from the disc, they always said error.

So lurking into the forum, I found out the previous WOL update (5-7 gig) comes with HOTS.

You just need to register in your battlenet the upgrade to HOTs.

Start the game it should reconfigure your WOL to HOTs. (I dont know how but this happens to me).

Then log in and choose HOTS expansion level at option.

Hope that helps.

TL:DR:
1)My disc never installs. It just left in the CD ROM the whole time.
2)I upgrade my battlenet account with the gamekey.
3) Open WOL launcher - reconfiguration in process
4) Log in - HOTS menu.
Life Is Tough,
But Im Tougher!

User Info: DrStrangelove88

DrStrangelove88
5 years ago#5
Hi. I bought the CE as well. It was a pain in the ass for me too. My account was locked and I wondered why I was downloading it when I had the game disc to install from. It's a total pain in the ass. Register your key and activate HOTS. It shortens the download to like 3.5 GBs. Anyway yeah it sucks.

But it's playable at like 85% downloaded. Took me two days to download because of initializing crap. I just didn't touch my computer for like two days. But this whole DRM crap is getting worse. You're being held hostage for a game YOU BOUGHT. The main files should be located on disc.
Chiefs 2012 Record: Pathetic.
Royals 2013 Record: Likely Disappointing.

SKARDAVNELNATE
5 years ago#6
The problem is that whether updating Wings of Liberty or installing Heart of the Swarm it still wants to download the game fresh. The download overwrites anything that was already installed. So Heart of the Swarm isn't actually an expansion or an update. It's the full game being installed again.

Which is where it fails for me. it gets only so far before it says lost connection. Running it a second time it freezes on Initializing... I uninstalled and started over several times until it stopped installing at all. Instead it got stuck on Updating Blizzard Update Agent.

Why sell the game as a disc when none of the files on it can be used for anything?
Why download the full game again when Wings of Liberty is already installed?

I'd much rather download the files first and install the game separately. Then I can put together my own disc for installing. I thought maybe that's what the Patches Scrolls files would help with but there's no explanation of what to do with them.

DrStrangelove88 posted...
Hi. I bought the CE as well. It was a pain in the ass for me too. My account was locked and I wondered why I was downloading it when I had the game disc to install from.

This is also a concern for me. Does this mean they can just not let me play a game I own if they don't like something I say about it.

anothermaverick posted...
TL:DR:
1)My disc never installs. It just left in the CD ROM the whole time.
2)I upgrade my battlenet account with the gamekey.
3) Open WOL launcher - reconfiguration in process
4) Log in - HOTS menu.

I think this is where the support guy was heading but given that I keep losing the connection which leaves the program unable to resume I didn't want to use the key before it downloads. Then he was rather insulting and gave me an attitude about the installer being SO GREAT.
  1. Boards
  2. Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm
  3. Can't install, anything, at all

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived