• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
  3. Is this better than the first?

User Info: Ivany2008

Ivany2008
5 years ago#11
The worst part about this game, not to spoil too much

is that there are only really about 15 bosses, 24 are part of the number 25 rank fight(so 25 in total) and another 13 or so are used for Dr. Letz Shake

honestly I'd like to see them remake this game.

The back of the box and the hype towards this game promised a lot more boss battles. But in all actuality, they added about 5 bosses in total, got rid of the GTA style sandbox overworld, and added a bunch of decent weapons.

The good being that the boss fights are actually fairly decent for the most part. They aren't as good as the first game mind you, but I digress.

The bad being is that there are a few boss battles where you can get stunlocked. You have to dodge perfectly otherwise your stunlocked, waiting for a chance to get out of it. Also, there are a bunch of areas where infinite spawns would occur, its like it is timed to get to the next area, but there is no timer.

Also, and this has only happened to me, but, my game overheated. To the point where I was on rank 1s trash mobs prior to the fight and the game locked up on me, and I had to start the mission over again(which is annoying because it has a lot of trash mobs)

In all honesty, I'd give the first about a 7/10. It wasn't bad, but grinding money was a bit annoying. On the other side though, I'd give number 2 about a 5/10. Def. wasn't as good as the first.

With the removal of the Sandbox overworld, they could have easily provided 20-30 boss fights.

User Info: megamachopop

megamachopop
5 years ago#12
Ivany2008 posted...
The worst part about this game, not to spoil too much

is that there are only really about 15 bosses, 24 are part of the number 25 rank fight(so 25 in total) and another 13 or so are used for Dr. Letz Shake

honestly I'd like to see them remake this game.

The back of the box and the hype towards this game promised a lot more boss battles. But in all actuality, they added about 5 bosses in total, got rid of the GTA style sandbox overworld, and added a bunch of decent weapons.

The good being that the boss fights are actually fairly decent for the most part. They aren't as good as the first game mind you, but I digress.

The bad being is that there are a few boss battles where you can get stunlocked. You have to dodge perfectly otherwise your stunlocked, waiting for a chance to get out of it. Also, there are a bunch of areas where infinite spawns would occur, its like it is timed to get to the next area, but there is no timer.

Also, and this has only happened to me, but, my game overheated. To the point where I was on rank 1s trash mobs prior to the fight and the game locked up on me, and I had to start the mission over again(which is annoying because it has a lot of trash mobs)

In all honesty, I'd give the first about a 7/10. It wasn't bad, but grinding money was a bit annoying. On the other side though, I'd give number 2 about a 5/10. Def. wasn't as good as the first.

With the removal of the Sandbox overworld, they could have easily provided 20-30 boss fights.

Except even with the mild successes Suda51 games have had they don't have a huge budget. I'm just glad they added more bosses from the first to begin with. Honestly I feel your scores are a bit low for what they games do offer.

Ivany2008
5 years ago#13
5/10 is being very generous, considering all that was taken out, and all that was not put in.

It had very bad storytelling. The assassins are ranked poorly and the final boss was a joke. I had more trouble fighting number 4, and I appreciated number 4 more than rank 1.

Half the time you don't know anything about the bosses you are fighting.

who turned Destroyman into 2 cyborgs, more on Matt Helms, Are Margaret and Alice sisters? How was Lets Shake revived?

Its not asking much. Even with a game the size of NMH1 it gave us length. The only reason NMH2 had length was due to excessive enemy minions prior to the main fights(seriously....I spent 15 minutes on a single fight and that was before the boss was encountered) and glitchy gimmicks during some of the ranked battles.

Don't get me wrong, its a good game, very good in fact. The art style is just as beautiful as ever, the boss fights are each unique and the game is very much worth a pick-up.

I just have one giant issue and thats the story with Sylvia, which is part of the main games focus. Its bad..... very bad.... so much so that it doesn't even make sense half the time. The ending was completely garbage and made no sense at all

again, 5/10 for what it was missing and the lack of decent storytelling in comparison to some of his other titles is being generous.

megamachopop
5 years ago#14
I agree the story wasn't the most amazing thing ever, but seriously having more trouble with 4 than 1? So many people would disagree.

And even then I don't feel like I actually KNEW all that much about the bosses from the first game either, at least not as much as people make it out to be. There was still lots of mystery about them even after defeating them.

Overall there's lots of good from both, and a lot of good changes from the first to the second, as well as bad ones.

But having it 2 less points because of removing the ultimately pointless overworld seems harsh

Ivany2008
5 years ago#15
I didn't remove 2 points because of the overworld(well, that was only part of the reason)

I removed 2 points because of ridiculously spawning enemies prior to boss fights that were used to create length in a game that didn't need it. Sure you can have enemies prior to a boss fight but they don't need to keep coming after 5 minutes trying to enter a building. NMH1 did it great. Not too many enemies, the perfect amount.

I also removed 2 points because of the lack of boss fights. More than half the boss fights we could have fought were removed through the fight with lets shake and Charlie Macdonald, not to mention the few guys that Henry took out that we weren't allowed to fight because apparently they were too tough

as pointless as the city was in 1, it provided a sense of immersion. This was Santa Destroy. Did they use it properly? no. They should have done so much more with it ala GTA combined with Saints Row. I'm not a fan of menu based travel, lets get that out of the way. Its why FF12 is my least favorite final fantasy(amongst a plethora of other reasons)

megamachopop
5 years ago#16
While I agree that some of the levels in the second were too long, the first had levels that were way too short. Hell, Letz Shake barely had a level and NO boss fight to boot. Some of the later levels definitely did not have enough content.

As for immersion, I could agree, if the city actually had some life to it. There was so little to do and so little going on that it just became tedious more than anything.

megamachopop
5 years ago#17
And BTW, I'm not trying to hate or anything. I actually do prefer the first game. But the second game had a lot going for it as well and I'd put them on about the same playing field (8/10 for the first and 7/10 for the second).

Ivany2008
5 years ago#18
I'm not saying the second was a bad game by any means. They did make some improvements, I just think it wasn't enough.
  1. Boards
  2. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
  3. Is this better than the first?
  • Topic Archived