• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Ryuko_Chan

Ryuko_Chan
1 month ago#191
TomorrowDog posted...
Tbh I think Skarner would always be hanging around the meta if junglers weren't always looking for an excuse to play something else. He's so easy to execute and his ult is a game-changer - and it isn't negated by the ADC building QSS like people like to think.
This, especially since Merc scimitar is probably the worst item in the game now after the changes and skarner now gets to rush Righteous Glory (chemtank) instead of being forced to go Cinderhulk first, champ is better than ever
- silverhyruler post
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: slyfan926

slyfan926
1 month ago#192
SonicJetWave posted...
I hope Rogue goes to MSI over G2. I know I'd be way more afraid of international buff G2 over Rogue honestly, especially with Trymbi who's unproven/has some shaky games

And DIG is 7-3 with most of their wins being pretty clean, when can we finally say they're a good team? Personally I'd say if DIG beats 100T I think they solidify themselves as a top 3 team honestly. Right now C9 is the only team that's clearly above them imo

Sadly, 100T stole that game but I was impressed with DIG's start.

I'm more curious how DIG will be in the playoffs with BO5's, drafting adjustments, and mental strength.
Dallas Mavericks (2003-Present) | Minnesota Vikings (2015-Present)

User Info: Gainazzo

Gainazzo
1 month ago#193
MSI happening at Reykjavik with a double bracket stage so now every team starts from the same stage which means more games for good teams than before, 16 before knockouts. Looking like the best MSI format so far and it's a really smart move doing it in Iceland.

User Info: dkgerbil2

dkgerbil2
1 month ago#194
DIG shouldn't be considered top 3 or 4. They're 1-3 against the other consensus top 4 teams (C9, 100T, TL and TSM). You have a pretty clear divide in the LCS where everyone below EG is noticeably worse and EG is also worse than the aforementioned top 4. Dignitas has one win against the teams we expect to be competing for a championship. I would say the CLG game is likely an anomaly for them rather than an accurate indicator of strength, but I need to see Dignitas showing they deserve to be in the same conversation as the top 4 by showing they're more than just their one victory against TSM.

Before anyone points to TL as a comparison for DIG, we're all smart enough to know the difference between the two. TL won the lock in tournament pretty convincingly. They're getting leads against most of the teams they've lost to and then just horrendously f*** up the mid game. Despite that, they convincingly beat C9 who most would consider the best team in the LCS. TL has proven they can win when it matters, even if they're struggling now. Dignitas has not. We see a team every year that starts hot and regresses to their expected strength over the course of the year. Dignitas is that team this year IMO. I find it unlikely that a team of players who haven't been considered top 3 in their role for quite some time (or ever) are suddenly going to massively outpace expectations for a long period of time.
All my friends are in bar bands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=facVh75-vW4

User Info: SonicJetWave

SonicJetWave
1 month ago#195
I don't think 100T is a top team honestly. Feels like won the majority of their games through 40 minute slugfests that could go either way. They have the record but they don't look anywhere near as dominant as C9, TL and TSM do in their wins

dkgerbil2 posted...
I find it unlikely that a team of players who haven't been considered top 3 in their role for quite some time (or ever) are suddenly going to massively outpace expectations for a long period of time.

Dardoch and Aphro were certainly the best in their roles in different points in their career and have shown many flashes of brilliance over the years, just not consistently until now. Granted I'm not fond of Soligo at all but I feel Fakegod and Neo can develop into really strong players, and they're already pretty good imo

The biggest difference between DIG and those kinds of teams is that DIG isn't cheesing their wins. When you see last year's IMT going 5-2 with 4 of their wins being weird backdoors you know they're going to drop soon. They're not the cleanest team but they're really good at picking fights and committing to them as 5 with little hesitation which is nice to see

Not to mention DIG has plenty of room to grow; it'd feel weird to see a team with 3 rookies regress over the season. If they didn't colossally throw at Baron against 100T and closed out then I would have put them firmly at #4, but I guess they have to prove themselves again

User Info: dkgerbil2

dkgerbil2
1 month ago#196
I did mention the "haven't been top 3 in quite some time". It's been multiple years since Dardoch or Aphro were considered top 3. You could argue whether or not Dardoch has ever been top 3, but contending that doesn't really change much so who cares. Aphro hasn't looked great since his MVP year. Soligo did not look good when he replaced Huhi and they had to bench Ssumday just to bring in Ryu because of how bad he looked. He's better now than then, but I have serious questions about his long term ability to perform at a level equal or better than he is now. Neo is a rookie so we need to see more to evaluate him properly. FakeGod looks better than he did in his last LCS stint but also not like he did in Academy. Quite frankly most of the players promoted from Academy don't look amazing right now, but they need time to adjust.

I do think Dardoch cycling through junglers for a while was a bit of a cheese, but that's a little nitpicky. They're a fairly standard team that likes to skirmish but they aren't talented enough to build leads without early skirmishes and that's always a concern when facing top competition in a region. As for improvement vs. regression, you're far more likely to see regression when a team with 3 inexperienced players is over performing expectations. They almost always fail to keep that up over an extended period of time.
All my friends are in bar bands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=facVh75-vW4

User Info: legendarylemur

legendarylemur
1 month ago#197
On the topic of Academy, I forget if I posted about this here, but Revenge of IMT has testified in a Crackdown episode that his academy experience was more or less self study and watching a bunch of VODs. There is 0 coaching or teaching how to play competitive even though competitive is drastically different from standard play.

So I think all notion of "this guy needs ___ years at academy" as I've opposed many times before, is completely false. A lot of players are being wasted in Academy, and they look lost on stage because they've been taught literally nothing, and Academy games are all mostly solo queue games with 1-2 Acad with an actual coaching staff, like C9 with Reignover
"Iwata was awesome" - Mr. Nintendo
https://i.imgur.com/krtFHol.jpg

User Info: SonicJetWave

SonicJetWave
1 month ago#198
legendarylemur posted...
So I think all notion of "this guy needs ___ years at academy" as I've opposed many times before, is completely false.

Academy being a s*** show doesn't mean players should be thrown straight into LCS, you still need that competitive experience to develop since the teams are still a big step up from amateur

Just look at genuinely talented players like Niles and Iconic who are getting their reputation damaged because they were thrown straight into the LCS. I don't think anyone can argue they'd perform a million times better if they had some Academy experience beforehand. And it's not like it's a coaching issue either because Inero is one of the most respected coaches in the LCS, but they're just way too raw and their gameplay shows it

Also C9/TSM/TL/100T consistently have great Academy teams with dedicated coaches as well, and from what I hear EG is starting to put in the effort this year too. The other half of the LCS teams definitely need to step up though

User Info: HipsterSora

HipsterSora
1 month ago#199
late, but that tsm guy lmao
Playing GBF, DS1R, Hades | Reading Jojolion, One Piece current
"It is well known that the Heartless harbor an intense hatred of shirts." -keybladesrus

User Info: legendarylemur

legendarylemur
1 month ago#200
SonicJetWave posted...
Academy being a s*** show doesn't mean players should be thrown straight into LCS, you still need that competitive experience to develop since the teams are still a big step up from amateur

Just look at genuinely talented players like Niles and Iconic who are getting their reputation damaged because they were thrown straight into the LCS. I don't think anyone can argue they'd perform a million times better if they had some Academy experience beforehand. And it's not like it's a coaching issue either because Inero is one of the most respected coaches in the LCS, but they're just way too raw and their gameplay shows it

Also C9/TSM/TL/100T consistently have great Academy teams with dedicated coaches as well, and from what I hear EG is starting to put in the effort this year too. The other half of the LCS teams definitely need to step up though
My point and Revenge's point was that Academy ISN'T a professional experience. It's just glorified paid solo queue. There are teams that do try to actually foster talents, but even C9 Acad has its limits, and there's a reason why washed up players look so good in Acad, because literally a majority of their competition doesn't know anything.

Also I don't really think Niles and Iconic are anything special. They can one day really prove themselves, and it's too early to tell, but I doubt they'll be booted off before the year ends. It doesn't take more than a year for their ceiling to manifest itself. Revenge seems like a smart guy, and he's taught himself a ton of s***, which is why he looked good right out of the gate, though he has his failing moments, which would be the cracks in the armor that needs to be ironed out. If Revenge got proper coaching for a year, he could actually become somebody. Meanwhile you look at Ablazeolive, Diamond, rjs, Soligo (who has improved, sure, but it was a low base point of comparison), Palafox, Insanity, all these guys from acad looking f***ing lost on stage. Wtf were they doing the last like 2+ years of Academy lol

There's so much evidence against academy actually being anything relevant to a player's growth that it hurts. Meanwhile you have EU Masters and KR amateur leagues churning out talents. Same isn't happening in NA because Academy is a literal waste of time and talent
"Iwata was awesome" - Mr. Nintendo
https://i.imgur.com/krtFHol.jpg
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A