• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. Is it possible to achieve true balance in this game?

User Info: FreshSushi

FreshSushi
9 months ago#11
what do you mean balance? you mean every champ should be as good in every context? no. you mean every champ should be viable in some niche or other. yes.

but this isn't so much about balance as it is about game design and league is part of the new age of competitive gaming where everything is homogeneous to appeal to the braindead demographic and this naturally leads to a handful of characters rising to the top simply by virtue of being better at doing that 1 or 2 things that everybody does.

also doesn't help that this is a f2p game and riot makes money by introducing champions even when the game doesn't need them
LoL: (Malz, Anivia), SF5: (Ryu)
Top 5: RE4, Dark Souls, MMBN3, HK, Pokemon Yellow

User Info: Rob_Van_Dam93

Rob_Van_Dam93
9 months ago#12
No, riot has to consistently change things up and add new items to keep things from getting boring. You can balance all champs but one new item change or release can make or break an entire meta.
PSN:SS5DEJAN

User Info: 8420

9 months ago#13
1. Riot doesn't want balance, see post above mine.

2. Certain champs outclass others by design. Look at Karma, Orianna, Ahri, Viktor, Azir, Lucian, Ezreal, Gnar, J4, Rek'Sai, Lee Sin, Gragas. Whenever these champions' numbers are good, they're played in pro play because their design is too good for their role; they do everything you could ask from their role, and more. Are they balanced? Not really. In order for things to not get stale, Riot has to put them in the dumpster for a while to encourage diversity.
Wishing things were different is a great way to torture yourself.
"Don't worry fam, quitting LoL is easy, I've done it at least 10 times." -RJ1771

User Info: aHappySacka

aHappySacka
9 months ago#14
Queue Extra Credits every time this topic comes up.

Short answer: no

Long answer: true balance means no strategy or champion has any significant strengths over others which means no one is unique to the point where there's no longer anything interesting about the game and no one would play it anymore.
You are now blinking and breathing manually.
http://i.imgur.com/91NC0Cb.gifv

User Info: FreshSushi

FreshSushi
9 months ago#15
extra credit's video on balance was not only vague (and therefore meaningless) and incredibly outdated in respect of their riot example, but one of their guys use to work at riot, they're literally trying to impersonate phreak with how much boot licking they were doing in that vid
LoL: (Malz, Anivia), SF5: (Ryu)
Top 5: RE4, Dark Souls, MMBN3, HK, Pokemon Yellow

User Info: 8420

9 months ago#16
FreshSushi posted...
extra credit's video on balance was not only vague (and therefore meaningless) and incredibly outdated in respect of their riot example

This tbh. It doesn't really even apply to League. The strongest picks in a role just have the best numbers with the fewest weaknesses... that Extra Credit video says that "if B is dominating then pick champ C because they counter them," when it's not true at all. Look at the strongest picks in a role: they just beat everything else, with the biggest discrepancy between the strongest and weakest picks in that role. This is, of course, in whatever games people actually know the matchups.
Wishing things were different is a great way to torture yourself.
"Don't worry fam, quitting LoL is easy, I've done it at least 10 times." -RJ1771

User Info: CrowsB4Hoes

CrowsB4Hoes
9 months ago#17
yes. it's called revert this game to 2013 or 2014.

done
2017 GameFAQS LoL 1v1 tournament winner

User Info: Sir_RaZZo

Sir_RaZZo
9 months ago#18
CrowsB4Hoes posted...

Funny, I actually remember you specifically b****ing and crying about Fizz in your 2014 golden years.
It will rain soon. Blood will fall like rain...-Karel
Member of The Phoenix Force

User Info: RJ1771

RJ1771
9 months ago#19
RJ1771 posted...
I really don't see why Rito needed a full essay to answer any question regarding balancing champs. It could have been this simple.

Q: Do you take player perception into consideration when balancing champs?
A: No, we don't.

Q: Then how do you decide which champs need rebalancing?
A: We don't, that's the entire point. We don't want the game to be balanced, never have and never will. Getting s***-stomped every time you go up against a Riven? Well sucks to be you, nerd. On a related note: CertainlyT has been given the go-ahead to do the next 10 new champs and the next 12 reworks. Have fun with that, f***ers.

Q/A session over.

:^)

User Info: CrowsB4Hoes

CrowsB4Hoes
9 months ago#20
Sir_RaZZo posted...
CrowsB4Hoes posted...

Funny, I actually remember you specifically b****ing and crying about Fizz in your 2014 golden years.

yes because he was/is aids. those seasons weren't perfect but they were close to it so i dont mind a few bad apples. with that said, fizz or whatever being broken was less them being broken and more riot taking 76747575656756765 years to nerf them. something that still happens today.
2017 GameFAQS LoL 1v1 tournament winner
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. Is it possible to achieve true balance in this game?
  • Topic Archived