Sick of HotS...and not very good at it

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. Sick of HotS...and not very good at it

User Info: Munnster006

Munnster006
1 month ago#1
Heroes is just starting to feel repetitive and I want to change it up. I actually have never touched League. I used to play Dota2 but it looks like it is slowly dying. Any tips for jumping into League as a casual?
-The epitome of success is...me of course-
SSB 3DS-2423-4068-5932

User Info: Sir_RaZZo

Sir_RaZZo
1 month ago#2
If HOTS was your first MOBA, then best advice for starting out is to understand mechanics like CSing (scoring the killing blow on minions so you receive the gold) and attack-move (important for ranged champions). Also, find a small handful of champions that appeal to you and stick with them.
It will rain soon. Blood will fall like rain...-Karel
Member of The Phoenix Force

Munnster006
1 month ago#3
Ah, so fire, retreat, fire, retreat. I learned some of that in Starcraft 2, but it will be new for me. Are the item combos overwhelming like in DOTA?
SSB 3DS-2423-4068-5932

User Info: supercoolisaac

supercoolisaac
1 month ago#4
Items are significantly more simple than DOTA.
Tiltproof

User Info: Sir_RaZZo

Sir_RaZZo
1 month ago#5
There's a lot of items and it might seem overwhelming at first, but with a few exceptions, champions in the same class will usually build similar core items.

What's important is the order you build items based on your situation. For example, if your playing a fighter and you've already died twice in lane, then it's probably not the best idea to go for a damage item first, you should get a defensive one so you can survive better.

Personally, I like using champion.gg to see which items go best on individual champions.
It will rain soon. Blood will fall like rain...-Karel
Member of The Phoenix Force

Munnster006
1 month ago#6
What is the max resolution I can run this at? It seems less graphically intensive than the other options in MOBA world.
SSB 3DS-2423-4068-5932

User Info: HamJabroni

HamJabroni
1 month ago#7
Munnster006 posted...
What is the max resolution I can run this at? It seems less graphically intensive than the other options in MOBA world.

well we're gonna need specs but most modern computers can run this at 1080p at 30+ fps, probably higher tbh
LoL is better than hell? What a joke. LoL is hell itself. There's no hope to be had in it - nothing but absolute despair.
Persona 5 life https://goo.gl/9jhct5

Munnster006
1 month ago#8
I5 3470 3.2ghz, 8gb ram, GTX 760
SSB 3DS-2423-4068-5932

User Info: RJ1771

RJ1771
4 weeks ago#9
One of the key differences between LoL and HotS is that you're on your own level wise, the team doesn't level up as a whole group.

As someone already mentioned: last hitting is important as that's how you get gold to buy items. There's ways around this but they mainly apply to Supports.

The roles are much more organized than in HotS where you just pick a lane and go for it. The way it breaks down is one person goes top, one goes down the middle, two hang out in the bottom, and one wanders around in the jungle.

Top lane is generally used for tanks, initiators, and split-pushers. Mid is generally where the mages and assassins go, and bot lane is generally for ADCs and their supports. The jungle is arguably the most complex role and not every champ is good there. I'd suggest avoiding being the jungler for someone that's just starting out. Also note that I said "generally" a bunch, as there are exceptions.

General MOBA tips can apply to LoL the same way they can apply to HotS:
-Don't over extend or chase someone too far or you're probably going to get killed.
-Vision is crucial. Unlike HotS that has a handful of champs with vision-granting abilities, LoL has Wards in the shop that can be bought by anyone and placed on the map to grant vision of an area. Despite what some people may think, it is everyone's responsibility to ward. The more vision your team has over the map the better.
-Never face-check a bush if you can avoid doing so.

I'd start by running some matches against the bots just so you can get the feel of things as this game is very different from HotS. This will also showcase champs so you can see how they work and start deciding on who you want to go for in terms of unlocking champs permanently.
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. Sick of HotS...and not very good at it

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived