Team composition guides?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. Team composition guides?

User Info: BurritoGod

BurritoGod
4 months ago#1
In anticipation of the new clash game mode I would like to brush up on exactly what champs or types of champs go into different team comps and why. Could anyone point me to a guide or could any high elo players make a guide on this?

I would like to use this to call shots on what champs to pick/ban for my team in clash.
GT: WiestdaBeast

User Info: Skystrike70

Skystrike70
4 months ago#2
Well you got

Splitpush
-1 4 & 1 3 1 types
Teamfight
- engage
-disengage
-pick
Poke

these are the types of comps that I can think of
Why is it called 'common sense' when it is so rare these days?

User Info: BurritoGod

BurritoGod
4 months ago#3
Skystrike70 posted...
Well you got

Splitpush
-1 4 & 1 3 1 types
Teamfight
- engage
-disengage
-pick
Poke

these are the types of comps that I can think of

Right. Now which counter which, and what exact champs would be optimal for each of them in each role? I'm looking for a full guide. I know the basics.
GT: WiestdaBeast

User Info: typhone004

typhone004
4 months ago#4
I wrote a very basic guide on team comps (example champions will be out of date), let me see if I can find it.

Also for the list above, I'd add siege comps to it. Lots of people confuse them with poke comps that aim to poke down the enemy health bars first then force objectives while the enemy is too low to contest, but siege comps focus more on allowing your team to beat down enemy turrets while the team is actively defending it. Imagine a veigar walking up to your turret and zoning your team with a cage while a tristana uses that time to throw a bomb on your turret and attack it while the other 3 members are either divers who will blow up anyone caught in the cage (which is what makes the cage such a threat) or people with disengage to stop the enemy from forcing a teamfight instead of a siege. If your engage isn't enough to beat the enemy disengage, they're taking your turrets.
"1/128 item on a first try. What are the odds?"
I flushed my fish down the toilet so he could die as he lived. With me treating him like s***.

typhone004
4 months ago#5
Found it. 3 long posts incoming.

Poke: Example comp (Jayce, Gragas, Xerath, Cait, Sona)
Your goal as a poke comp is to poke the enemy until they are too unhealthy to defend objectives. By making the enemy low before a fight breaks out, you discourage the enemy from defending turrets or contesting neutral objectives. Poke comps can either focus on disengaging when they enemy tries to pick a fight, or diving the enemy after poking them down. Hard engage comps can be a counter to poke comps because they will try to initiate a fight before giving you a chance to poke them down.

Siege: Example comp (Maokai, Jarvan, Vel’koz, Tristana, Blitzcrank)
Your goal as a siege comp is to group as 5 and push down turrets. Siege comps need heavy waveclear to kill enemy minions (Vel’koz), good tower damage to take turrets while the enemy is defending them (Tristana), a heavy tank who can ignore tower shots and disengage for the team (Maokai), and a way to threaten enemies who step forward to defend their turrets (Blitz hook /
Jarvan ult). Siege comps get countered by comps that can waveclear better than you or can hard engage against your team.

Teamfight: Example comp (Gnar, Sejuani, Orianna, Twitch, Sona)
Your goal as a teamfight comp is to teamfight. Your 5v5 will be better than any other comps 5v5. These are your teams with huge wombo combos that wreck entire enemy teams, get your ace, and take free objectives. Teamfight comps are counter by comps with good disengage, comps that can avoid teamfights while splitting, and comps that can make picks during rotations so you never have all 5 people together. These comps typically are stronger later in the game when teams should be grouping more, so you need to make sure not to fall too far behind early. A 0/20 teamfight comp will not win teamfights.

Protect ADC: Example comp (Shen, Lee sin, Malzahar, Kog’maw, Lulu/Janna)
The protect the ADC comp focuses mainly on letting your adc consistently put out loads of damage while never letting him die. These comps typically will have a good early game jungler to make up for the weakness of having a lategame adc, and every other member of the team’s only job is to keep the adc alive. This comp requires clean communication and coordination because a single mistake by any member can make the whole comp fall apart. All your eggs are in one basket, so it’s very risky.
I flushed my fish down the toilet so he could die as he lived. With me treating him like s***.

typhone004
4 months ago#6
Pick: Example comp (Nautilus, Elise/Noc, Syndra, Ashe/Sivir, Blitz/Thresh/Morg)
Pick comps focus on catching the enemy out of position during rotations and using their numbers advantage to take objectives. Pick comps focus on single target CC and damage so that they can blow up an enemy they catch out instantly. Because they focus on attacking a single target, pick comps struggle against teamfight comps who stick together. Vision control is extremely important for pick comps because they need to both see when the enemy is out of position, but also make sure the enemy does not see you setting up a pick.

Splitpush 1-3-1
: Example comp (Irelia/Renekton, Gragas, Yasuo, Xayah, Zyra)
A splitpush 1-3-1 comp will focus on sending 3 people into a single lane (almost always mid due to proximity to neutral objectives) and the other 2 members into the other lanes alone. The job of the solo laners is to force more than one person to come defend against their push to create a numbers advantage for the other 2 lanes (and not die to a 1v2), and to push down towers when the enemy does not send more than one person to defend against their push. The job of the 3 members is to waveclear and disengage all fights when they are even in numbers or outnumbered by the enemy, and then to push their lane and take towers and neutral objectives when they outnumber the enemy because they were forced to send additional members to the side lanes. It is extremely important that nobody on your team ever fights when outnumbered, so you need to be careful about overextending when the enemy is missing. Splitpush 1-3-1 comps are countered by team with hard enough engage that your team cannot stop the 5v3 engage mid lane, and by siege comps who will take your tower 5v3 while you are defending it.

Splitpush 1-4: Example comp (Fiora, Gragas, Orianna, Sivir, Janna)
Similar to the 1-3-1 in strategy, the 1-4 comp will instead send 4 people in one lane and 1 in another. While this comp helps against the weakness to hard engage comps because engaging 5v4 under tower is harder than engaging 5v3, it also provides less pressure in the side lanes because your solo laner needs to be able to push against any other person their team sends to that lane. In a 1-3-1, only one of your solo laners really needs to be able to push down towers against whoever the enemy sends.

typhone004
4 months ago#7
How to know when to pick each comp:
It can be very difficult to know which comp is going to be best for each game because you will be drafting at the same time as the enemy. If you could always see the enemy team before picking your own, you would always be able to pick an amazing comp. Comps have good and bad matchups just like champions do, and while one comp may be better in a certain meta (again just like champs), there isn’t really a single comp that is best in every situation.

While it is a good idea to have some idea of what comp you want to play before entering champion select, you also need to be adaptive to enemy picks/bans and may need to change your strategy on the fly. Because of this, priority picks should be champions that can work in multiple comps so you aren’t giving away your teams strategy right away. Gragas is an amazing early pick because he goes into so many comps providing early ganking pressure and lategame tankiness, and by having an ultimate that can be used for both disengage and to start fights.

Paying attention to the weaknesses of each comp is a great way to decide which comp to pick. If you see the enemy has a shen or galio, you should know that it will be harder to make picks due to the enemy being able to save their caught out teammates with their ultimates. While this doesn’t mean you can’t be a pick comp against any team that has a shen, you need to consider that it will make the primary goal of your comp harder to accomplish. Same thing with picking siege comps versus heavy waveclear and engage, split comps where your solo laners aren’t able to win the 1v1 lanes or your 3-4 person lane can’t deal with the enemy engage, or teamfight comps where the enemy is able to disengage every fight you try to start or apply too much early pressure before your team can group.

It is also important to put yourself in the enemy’s shoes and think about what team comp they are trying to create. If the enemy does give away their strategy with non-flexible early picks, it’s very possible to predict their team comp and maybe even specific champions before they pick them.

User Info: Skystrike70

Skystrike70
4 months ago#8
super triggered you didnt list trynda freaking mere under splitpush
Why is it called 'common sense' when it is so rare these days?

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
4 months ago#9
you need like 2-3 hard CCs that can be used fairly consistently and the rest is open for debate.
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

User Info: TwoStrikes94

TwoStrikes94
4 months ago#10
i didnt read this topic

the only team comp worth playing is one that has no more than 2 tanks

and preferably no less than 1.5 tanks

the champs you fill in those roles dont matter till youre professional

any other team comp is just hoping that you, or someone on your team, is better than the enemy
http://i.imgur.com/U5y3b.jpg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JoAQOiqKRg
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. Team composition guides?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived