• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. The community for this game, it's issues and the hilarity of it all.

User Info: Mistare

Mistare
7 years ago#1
This is going to be a LONG rant, and you know what? You all deserve it. All of you need to hear this so suck it up and start reading.

League of Legends is a game for everyone. Anyone can pick it up and play, anyone can get to level 30 with a little time investment, and honestly, given the chance to play with good players, anyone can probably get to at least Gold. That's the beauty of the game, you can pick it up and play, it's free, it's a genre that encourages (well, not so much anymore) experimentation, where people that play can watch the best in the world and try to imitate their tactics simply by logging in and picking the same champ. Such a game, however, was doomed from the very beginning.

The community for this game is, for lack of a better word, bizarre. At the top, you have challenger, the world league level pros, the people everyone watches. And below them you have Plat/Diamond players, people that have managed to grind their way from the bottom somehow, and make it somewhere they can brag about. Everyone below that though, is in the same basket.

Never before in my life have i encountered such a class divide, it's like early 19th century England. At the top the people just don't care. Or, if they do care, they don't really know what they care about, they’re so high above it all in their ELO mansions drinking ELO tea straight from ELO India that they just don’t understand the problems of the little people because for them LoL is like breathing, that they’re challenger is necessary and expected. These are people that routinely smurf back up to Plat and beyond just for fun, regardless of how much that upsets this already terrible system.

Plat/Diamond are too busy tugging their own e-peens, telling everyone that's Gold and below that they're scrubs, they deserve to be where they are, that to get to where these guys are is "So easy, you just suck!" in a wierd sort of passive aggressive modesty that suggests they don't think they're very good, they just think everyone worse than them is essentially some sort of vermin splashing around the gene pool, and that's why these guys are LoL HIV; won't necessarily kill you, can be suppressed, but always going to be there regardless, ruining it for everyone.

And then at the bottom you have the lower class. The biggest group by a long shot.

You have people that will always be there because they just don't get the game, a group that should never go near ranked matches yet bizarrely have a large amount of members that have aspirations of greatness and only play ranked. These people are universally hated, not because they're bad, but because when they're on you're team, they make all hopes of victory seemingly vanish. They're the guys that are perma Bronze 4 and below, only play adc, and troll when someone else takes it. Or they die. Or support takes a cs by mistake, or because support has relic shield and they never read the tooltip. Or because the enemy ganked them and the jungler didn't help. These guys are LoL cancer; no cure yet, slowly killing it from inside.

Then you have people that play for fun, winning is secondary to enjoyment and as a result they don't take the meta seriously: another group that should really stay away from ranked, but once again a large group of these guys try to progress. Some of them are good and find a champ they love, somehow against all odds actually manage to start climbing, but most of them are bad simply because they're effectively playing a different game.
I just flipped a coin and it came out heads 3 times in a row. Anyone know if tails has been nerfed?

Mistare
7 years ago#2
Lastly you have the people that practise and take it seriously. The people that rage, the people that flame (though not all ragers and flamers are from here), the people that go for objectives instead of kills, and ping their teammates to retreat. These are the people that usually win the games in low League and eventually, slowly, begin to climb. People that know what all the items do, people that waited the long age until they had played every champion and owned every champion to start playing ranked, the people that are down because despite them always being right, nobody ever listens. Tell a teammate to back off, they tell you you’re a noob and should STFU… then die. Ping dragon, only you end up there, they take it, you die. These are the guys that get forced to support and actually take a support, and just have to watch in misery as they lose game after game because they have zero impact on the match when the ADC is intent on feeding from the get go. These are the guys that fill in the slots in the team, despite knowing that if they’d been allowed to go where they asked they would likely win. These are the people who actually raise valid points on the forums, only for some Plat player to tell them they lose because they suck and deserve to lose, how “omg you couldn’t beat X champion? Such a scrub lol wood tier”, seemingly forgetting that as previously mentioned, people DO smurf, and these people DO disrupt the fragility of the lower brackets.

And this brings me to the real issue with league: The community.

When these l33t plat/diamond players play, it’s effortless… or so they claim. “It’s so easy to get here, how come everyone isn’t plat/diamond?” they ponder. And I will answer them: the reason that people struggle to climb? The reason the community is so toxic? It’s YOUR fault. Not challenger, not Gold and below, it is entirely the fault of Diamond and Platinum. You see, because you guys put so little effort into this game, you can expend the rest of that effort putting down those trying to get to where you are (ironically, just like the middle class in early 19th century England: they want to climb the social ladder, but have to try to keep the people where they came from (lower classes) in line, because if EVERYONE was middle class, it would just become lower class again! And what better way to keep them in line than to make them feel they deserve it?)

These guys go onto forums and troll lower elo players, just to make them feel helpless. They do not give constructive criticism, or even help those that need it, what they do is make you feel like you deserve to be where you are and there is no point changing it. These little people at the bottom? They’re all so bad! Regardless that everyone starts low, these people DESERVE to be there, but not you! Remember when you struggled to get to Diamond? OF COURSE NOT, it was EASY! It only took 300 matches! Why can’t these scrubs just understand that? You only played 20 matches and got from Bronze 4 to bronze one promos only to lose because you had an afk and 2 all you can eat buffets on your team? LOL NO, YOU LOST BECAUSE YOU SUCK BRO QQ.

Mistare
7 years ago#3
These guys go on tribunal just to get people that don’t really deserve it banned. “lol, look at this guy, he’s started flaming his team 40 minutes in because they’re literally just feeding. He’s saying stuff that makes sense like “OMG WTF WHY ARE YOU FOCUSING MUNDO!?” or “guys, I’m the tank, why are you all running into their jungle whilst they push and then getting killed off whilst I defend solo?”, and was polite for the first 30 minutes of the game even though his team fed from the start, he carried them into late game on his own and now it’s lost because the team haven’t learned a single thing in this match and then all reported him because they know they should have listened to him but were too prideful… lets vote to ban, because LOL BRONZE/SILVER/GOLD SCRUB!”

These guys look you up on LOLKing when you post, just to mock you for your rank regardless of what you’re saying making sense. Regardless that LOLKing doesn’t tell you times of deaths or the situations, or that the enemy team had 20 kills in 15 minutes but you only actually started dying 25 minutes in once they all grouped up and focused you, the only threat on your team, every single teamfight because your team were too busy chasing singed for revenge… for the 15th time. These guys don’t think about stuff like that. They look at your match history, see that you died in the last match and that’s all they need.

I don’t know what group I fit into. I’m that guy that started bronze 4, played 20 matches and got to bronze 1 promos. I’m that guy that’s been stuck trying to get back to those promos because of better players on the enemy team, or terrible players on my team. Yeah, sure, I screw up sometimes, sometimes I can accept that it was due to me that we lost. But I can’t be too harsh on myself if my score is the best on my team because I’m the only person that’s actually positive AND pushing objectives. When I win my lane, ping SS, warn bot and head down, and then get flamed when they ignore me and then feed the person I just owned mid a double kill. When I suggest bans, I get ignored because the people on my team still think pick order is MMR dependant and for whatever reason I’m last pick… again. When I play jungle and tell my team to play defence to I can gank easier and snowball them, they push up to turret, OOM and then die, only to blame it all on me and thus repeatedly do it, delusional to their mistakes. When I play support my ADC focuses more on harassing than farming, and then flames me when I don’t kamikaze dive with them.

If that makes me bad, then cool, I’m bad. I’m SUPER bad. But you know what? I’m trying here, I want to win, I want to progress in ranked, and with a few notable exceptions, this community just doesn’t help with that. I can watch good players all I want, I can read guides and tips until it’s all I think about, but whilst this community refuses to accept that it is HARD to push through the people that play ranked for fun, or focus on kills, or ban players for raging even if it’s reasonable just because OMG SUMMONERS CODE, nothing will improve. What kind of competitive game punishes competitive players for being competitive, but encourages people that don’t understand the game to play ranked matches all they want, even if it’s actively ruining the experience for thousands of people? If I tell someone that they’re a bad noob 50 minutes into a game in which they have repeatedly displayed that they are in fact, a bad noob, that makes me ban worthy, and them some sort of hero for obeying the summoners code.
I just flipped a coin and it came out heads 3 times in a row. Anyone know if tails has been nerfed?

User Info: angermngment101

angermngment101
7 years ago#4
didnt read, not gonna.
Gamefax

Mistare
7 years ago#5
I get that everyone has bad games, believe me. A good player having a bad game is them dying twice in laning and not farming as much because they understand that they’ve been outplayed and resigned to towerhugging for safety. When someone is 0/12 and lost their tower by the 15 minute mark, that’s not a bad game, that’s a bad player. That’s someone that shouldn’t be allowed to play ranked ruining it for everyone else, and that’s someone that will never get banned because despite all this, they aren’t breaking any rules. But the moment you tell them that, boom, reported. And you will have everyone on your back defending them if you even dare to mention it on forums.

I don’t pretend to have all the solutions. I know how to improve the ranked system and it’s obvious: you rank people based on their contributions to the team and not on whether they won or lost. Once team builder has been perfected and applied to ranked, we will finally see a system that rates you on your actual skill at the game, instead of your ability to work with 4 people you’ve never met before, who may or may not actually care about winning or even know how to play. And at that point, I may eat my words and do so happily, content that I finally know for sure where I stand in this game. But until then we have a system that is fundamentally flawed in almost every aspect, from the duoQ people that always take bot and feed instead of taking jungle/mid/top combos that have a bigger impact on the match, people that don’t realize that there are patch notes and ban characters that were nerfed into irrelevance weeks ago, to the people that play bot matches to level 30 and then jump straight into ranked to learn how to play against people. This game is too easy to screw up for the other 4 people on your team, and that’s WITHOUT all the things I mentioned above. I mean, watch world championships. There are PRO LEVEL players making early game mistakes that snowball someone into victory, and that’s when all 10 people know their teams, know the intricacies of the game and understand their limitations. Imagine if the world championships were SOLOQ!? Every player from every team is put into a giant melting bot and then new teams are randomly created and put against each other. Nobody would dream of telling a world championship finalist that they deserved to lose if they had never played with their team before, didn’t know their strengths and weaknesses, didn’t understand their playstyle quirks, but they’re so quick to jump on people in Bronze for the exact same reasons, and that’s without seeing the match!

I’ve never been banned thankfully. I’ve recently been trying to not rage at bad players and instead encourage them and give them tips; it doesn’t work. Now I just mute everyone as soon as they say something negative. I disabled all chat and do not talk at all because someone will almost certainly start flaming anything you do say. I only communicate in pings, and I expect nothing from my team except feeders and people that don’t understand, and the sad thing is that it works.

Now, what I have said is not 100% of the community. There are challenger players that understand and try to help people in Bronze, just like there are bronze players that play for fun and climb quickly because they still understand the game, or plat players that know about the issues and are a positive force within the community, I only hope that these people will not be discouraged by the generalisations I have spoken in as the last thing I want is to be one of those people that hates on people that do not deserve it. But this would have been even more ridiculously long if I had gone into that much detail and so I hope you will forgive me of that ignorance.

Mistare
7 years ago#6
This isn’t me saying I quit LoL, this is me saying I’ve had it with all you guys in these forums. This is me saying “you know what? You’re mostly total jerkoffs.” Think about Justin Beiber and how he acts. That’s what YOU do. You get big by being in the right place at the right time, start thinking it was anything other than a total fluke, and then you start going off the rails and saying crazy stuff that only makes sense to other people that are like you. You guys may or may not recognise me, I post here occasionally but lurk a lot. I know I will not be missed and hold no delusions about the responses I will get to this message: “LOL BYE NOOB” “/care?” “TL;DR” “scrub moaning about scrub issues” “#woodleague”. I know this, and I embrace it. Because you posting those comments will show everyone that reads this in full what kind of person you are.

My only hope with this message is that even a small group of people will resonate with what I’ve said, and perhaps try and change things. Because we made this game, we made the community, we are ultimately responsible for what happens. Whether this manifests as petitions for people to have won a certain amount of matches before they’re allowed to play ranked, or petitions for an entirely new ranked system doesn’t matter. Whether this manifests as a Platinum player standing up and saying “this system is BOGUS” and other platinum players standing up with them to show Riot that solidarity doesn’t matter. Heck, I doubt this will even do anything. It’s possible that nobody will even respond and this topic will be on page 10 in 15 minutes, but that would be a shame. Because as obnoxious as it sounds, I honestly believe I have raised a lot of valid points in this post, points that need to be heard and acted upon in order to make this game a good place to be for everyone, even those guys that just do not get it. Because like I said, LoL is not my game, it’s OUR game. It’s just that nobody in the 4 years it’s been active has cared enough about the big picture to say this, whether through fear of reprisal or mass ignorance. Of course, from what I’ve just said, a lot of people in this community don’t like valid points that suggest there are issues with a clearly flawed system that has worked in their benefit, just like bankers don’t like hearing that they’re being paid too much.

I’ve said my part, I’ll leave now. I’ll check up on this thread if it stays active and will try to respond to legit questions to the best of my ability, but for the most part I’m tired of this place. I’ll be on the forums for some other game where the community is friendlier and there’s not such glaring flaws being ignored. Thanks for reading, ALL comments are appreciated, just don’t think I’ll be taking insults to heart because I know now that really, you guys just want to be special and when someone threatens that, you lash out. And I pity you, because one day if nothing changes, that very attitude will kill this amazing game.

There is no TL;DR, because as the first line said, “This is going to be a long rant, and you know what? You all deserve it. All of you need to hear this so suck it up and start reading…”
Have a nice day.

User Info: Gensokyo

Gensokyo
7 years ago#7
angermngment101 posted...
didnt read, not gonna.
3DS FC: 4742 - 5987 - 5552

User Info: angermngment101

angermngment101
7 years ago#8
oh you have more to say? cool!
Gamefax

User Info: BenWhoDrowned

BenWhoDrowned
7 years ago#9
Gensokyo posted...
angermngment101 posted...
didnt read, not gonna.
SURRENDER: 0 odds of winning. KEEP PLAYING: Very low odds of winning.
Very low > 0. Checkmate.

User Info: LChaos2

LChaos2
7 years ago#10
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19
YGOPro - DevPro server: http://devpro.org/
http://www.youtube.com/LChaos2
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. The community for this game, it's issues and the hilarity of it all.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A