• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Cave Story
  3. Cave Story has been updated on the Wii Shop Channel.

User Info: SquareRound

SquareRound
9 years ago#1
Rejoice! They finally released an updated version of the game.

Go to the shop channel, "Titles You've Downloaded", find the game (it will have an "Updated!" tab above it), and now there will be an "Update" button instead of the usual "Download".

Which means you will need to erase the older version first (on Wii Settings -> Data Management -> Wii Channels).
Eu sairia se estudar mais, ter uma vida social mais ativa e sair de casa não fossem um saco. - Vasconcelos

User Info: SquareRound

SquareRound
9 years ago#2
Also, you shouldn't worry about save-data compatibility:

Please note that downloading an updated Virtual Console or WiiWare game will not affect any previously saved game data, such as progress through a game or high score.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/channelsShop.jsp#updated
Eu sairia se estudar mais, ter uma vida social mais ativa e sair de casa não fossem um saco. - Vasconcelos

User Info: COlimar788

COlimar788
9 years ago#3
YES. THANK YOU Nicalis! :D I just started a new file to play with all the updates, and so far... well, so much stuff is so much better! I'm really impressed!
The Official Elec Man of the MvC3 board!
Pokemon SoulSilver: 1033-3587-7726

User Info: Blair68000

Blair68000
9 years ago#4
What has changed?

User Info: BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat
9 years ago#5

What has changed?

According to Nintendo Life, some of the changes are:
* Menu screen cleaned up: No longer "glitchy rotating selection" and instead a more tradtional 2D layout as expected.
* Extra Modes are now locked until conditions fullfilled.
* Remixed music significantly improved. (Drumbeats make a huge difference!)
* Sound mixing fixed. Raining EXP drops are no longer deafening to the ears.
* Map screen no longer covers the entire screen with black. Instead it overlays the map on top of the play.
* Script: "Examinate further" has been corrected to "Examine further"
* Transparent menu and home button screens
* Gamecube controller support
* Improved original music
* Outer Wall crash fixed

Does this mean I can't play as Curly from the start anymore?
"He said he's trying to show me how macho he is by running on the beach. But he just looks stupid."
- Some girl in Eternal Sonata about her playmate

User Info: DiogenesKC

DiogenesKC
9 years ago#6
I just finished a playthrough, and I think some of the artwork is changed, too. Mostly character portraits, from what I've spotted; Curly has longer hair, Balrog has those scuffmarks on his "nose", Itoh's got his hand raised into frame, and some other, more subtle stuff. I also don't remember those ghost cats on the Outer Wall having such fangy grins...
Number of people who have called me The King: 13

User Info: SirIlpalazzo

SirIlpalazzo
9 years ago#7
It sounds like you played with the new artwork, which has been in the WiiWare version ever since it was first released.
I am sure people have many nice memories of yelling at their controllers.~Keiji Inafune

User Info: IfOnlyForOnce

IfOnlyForOnce
9 years ago#8
And what exactly are the conditions for unlocking the other modes? I know you have to beat Curly to unlock Curly Story.
Get smashed, gate crash!

User Info: BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat
9 years ago#9
I have both versions (one on the Wii's internal flash memory and the other on the SD card).
Pfft. Like you care!
*Runs away crying.*
"He said he's trying to show me how macho he is by running on the beach. But he just looks stupid."
- Some girl in Eternal Sonata about her playmate

User Info: DexterTheThird

DexterTheThird
9 years ago#10
Can't comment on the mode unlocking (I beat the game a while ago), but as another user mentioned, I definitely noticed a difference in the New Graphics compared to the New Graphics pre-update. Just talk to Jack and compare how his portrait looks to how it used to.
Also, liking the new music much better now that it's fixed. I might do a runthrough now with only the new music playing so I can appreciate it better (though IMO the old music is still best.)
HFC: Since 2002. http://flipnote.hatena.com/5CC2E0A0CC79DAD3@DSi/movie/
79DAD3_09093A9EAFFBA_004?locale.lang=en&locale.region=9
  1. Boards
  2. Cave Story
  3. Cave Story has been updated on the Wii Shop Channel.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers