• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Shining Force Feather
  3. Some damage mechanics

User Info: Raijinili

Raijinili
6 years ago#1
I haven't played in months, but was playing the original Shining Force and went exploring in Shining Force Central, which led me to compile my data.

Basic attack damage formula estimate (rounding not in place):
(ATK - DEF) * 0.76 * POW / 100

I don't know what's with the 0.76, but 0.75 doesn't work as well. Probably some weird rounding I'm not taking into account. An alternative:
([ATK*.75] - [DEF*0.75]) * POW / 100

But then this doesn't consider roundoff after factoring in POW. If you're just playing normally, the first should be close enough.

===

Elemental weakness/resist is 150%/50% damage. Elements are oppositely aligned: an element is only resistant to itself and only weak to its opposite. The alignments are:
Fire<>Water
Thunder<>Wind
Light(Shine?)<>Dark

===

An elemental dress increases your damage of that element by 25%. This seems to be applied earlier, rather than later.

===

POW for basic skills (may be more):
Physical: 100, 135, 175
Elemental: 90, 120, 155

So if you haven't noticed, you're giving up power for element.

===

Miscellaneous numbers:
- Miriam has range 12. Can tell because same area as move.
- Bale has range 8. Same as his force max and union ranges.

Raijinili
6 years ago#2
The above is predicted damage, by the way. Haven't checked how timing affects it. Possibly 75%, 85%, 100%.

More from memory:

Treasure chest damage is fixed (does not depend on Attack). Don't know (i.e. remember) what the 40FP skill does (probably not much), but normal attacks do FPCost/5-1 damage to a chest (keeping in mind I haven't gotten past 30FP). I think you can sometimes do 1 more damage. Can't remember how timing works here.

Apparently certain characters (Jin/Rush) do double damage to chests.
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=16681

===

When on the defense, you can gain HP or Force (or both? probably not, but never thought to test) if you hit the right button as you are about to get hit.

Healed: 10% of the damage done, rounded down, min 1 (unless damage is <=1?). 50% if at red life.
Force: 5. 10 (IIRC) if at red life.

Question: What is the window in which pressing a button counts as your attempt for that hit? As in, if you press the button too early, you can't try to absorb that hit. What is the timing there?

Raijinili
6 years ago#3
Expanding on this post by SFC's Simpelicity which led to determining Agility as the primary factor for the colors on the meter:
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13936&start=20#p640254

Your AGI is compared to the opponent's AGI by division. Let D = YourAGI/EnemyAGI.

The bar is split up into five parts. The middle part will be represented as a capital letter. Colors are obviously Red, Green, and Blue (from best to worst).

D<=0.5: bbGbb
0.5<D<=0.8: bbRbb
0.8<D<=1.2: bgRgb
1.2<D<=1.5: ggRgg
1.5<D<infty: grRrg

The lower bound has been tested up to 31/64. The upper bound has been tested up to 101/4.

===

There seems to be a graphical glitch where, if you land right at the transition of the colors, it will LOOK like the old color but ACT like the new color. Meaning that if you hit on the edge of green, it might really be red. Not really on the usual level of glitches, but it's something to keep in mind while testing damage.

===

Green is the predicted damage, not blue.

===

The 76% error in my formula may be due to the final damage being rounded toward the nearest, rather than toward 0.

===

Tieda (desert rogue girl), against the Free Battle Lv30 Magic Warrior (melee humanoid unit) does more damage than I predicted. A few other character/enemy combinations don't have that same oddity, so it's neither just Tieda, nor just the Magic Warrior.

After some haxtesting, I confirmed that Tieda has a special attribute: extra damage against enemies with a higher level (so 25 versus 25 = regular damage, while 25 versus 26 = extra damage). Doesn't seem to care about the exact level difference. Also, it's not just a multiplier on regular damage, or her attack, I think.

Raijinili
6 years ago#4
Status skills have varying power. I don't know where that 40 came from. Must've been thinking of FRC cost.

Force Damage is 100 power. Poison is 135. Bind and Heavy are 175.

Raijinili
6 years ago#5
Tieda's bonus damage: Setting a factor of 1.15 to attack gets pretty close.

In other words:
(ATK*1.15 - DEF) * 0.75 * POW / 100

Not close enough to be in a mechanics guide, but good for an estimate. I think some disassembly is required.

User Info: Lord_Bowie

Lord_Bowie
6 years ago#6
some of this info is already in my faq

are you 100% sure about Teeda ability?

Raijinili
6 years ago#7
(To archive readers: This topic is now cross-posted here: http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13936&start=20)

Well, Spanish isn't exactly my strong point, and I didn't try to read it. I'll do it later.

I am 100% sure that she has that ability. I am not at all sure how much damage the ability gives her, except that the formula gives a rough estimate for a specific defense I tested.

I played with level changes between 255 and 0. The level difference doesn't matter, just that she's at a lower level. The address is 0x020899AA, and the value is level-1, so FF = level 0 and 00 = level 1.

Raijinili posted...
Expanding on this post by SFC's Simpelicity who determined Agility to be the primary factor for the colors on the meter:
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13936&start=20#p640254

Fixed

Also, the Assist Bangle (red dot accessory that gives -1 Mov and has a three-line description) seems to increase the timing bar by one step, as opposed to giving an increase to effective Agi.
  1. Boards
  2. Shining Force Feather
  3. Some damage mechanics
  • Topic Archived