• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Wars: The Old Republic
  3. Immortal Juggernaut gear stat help, utilities and tanking tips

User Info: xenobla

xenobla
1 year ago#1
Hi, I've been playing SWTOR and wow for a while and I've decided I really like the tanking idea. I was eondering for the most recent patch, which gear stat should I focus on? I've read up online, and I see its between mastery, defense, shield and absorbtion. May I also find out what are the best utlitities to have for PVE flashpoints and operations? Any tanking tips would be helpful too!

User Info: JLazarillo

JLazarillo
1 year ago#2
If you're mostly going to be doing group PvE content, Tank gearing is pretty easy: just focus on getting endgame set bonus gear rank 230+ and keeping Shield and Absorb about even. Defense will be added by pretty much everything so you don't really have to worry about how much you're getting.

Note that Shield/Absorb and Defense have very limited use in PvP, though, so if you plan on doing that too, you'll probably want a second, very different set of gear that trades a lot of the tank-related stats for extra HP and damage. Similarly, if you're going to be doing a significant amount of solo/story stuff, and/or if you're going to stick to the simpler team stuff, you may want to switch some of the Defense for Power eventually, but that can be a stretch goal.
Formerly a panda, formerly a carnivore. Now just a guy without a catch phrase.
https://imgtc.com/i/uVS7l1o.jpg

xenobla
1 year ago#3
Ah i see. How about utlities then? I tried following the dufly guide, but I think the utilities have changed?

JLazarillo
1 year ago#4
Utilities? Let's see:

-Tier 1, there's nothing super amazing, but Payback can be pretty useful. From there it's either Path Carver for a little extra AoE damage or Deadly Reprisal for a little extra Rage. You should rarely have Rage issues with a tank, so I'd go for the former.

-Tier 2, first off, do NOT take Sonic Wall. It sounds like a nice utility for protecting teammates, but it's a very weak shield and will not stack with other similar abilities, overriding them instead. Since things like Shield Probe (and most importantly, Static Barrier) are much more powerful, you don't want to mess with them. Beyond that, I like Strangulate, but I mostly solo; it's not useful for FPs and Ops. Similarly, Unstoppable, is freaking great for soloing and trash fights, but you won't be doing much leaping against bosses, so it may be more limited use for you. Crushing Fist is a decent debuff and Unshackling Rage gives some nice general use buffs to Enrage, so they're probably you're best bet.

-Tier 3, is hard, almost everything is good here, except probably Warbringer. You can probably safely skip Seething Hatred, too, because again, it's for trash fighting/story play. The rest, it's harder. I'd probably skip Hardened Defense until/unless you're doing PvP, since you won't be controlled that often. Through Power is also probably safe to skip if you took Unshackling Rage, since they have similar effects (but Enrage is up much more often than Enraged Defense). That leaves Through Passion which is great because you want Enraged Defense as much as possible, and Consuming Rage, which turns the rather middling band-aid of Endure Pain into a self purge that can be very helpful.

-Tier 4, you definitely want Intimidating Presence; it's bread-and-butter for a Tank, and darned useful even on DPS. I also like Through Victory since, as noted above, I don't use Unshackling Rage most of the time, but like Through Power, it's kind of redundant, and as a tank, you don't want to be using Mad Dash mid-fight, so I'd skip it (at best, just go back up and take Through Power instead of a second Tier 4 if you want the movement boost). Extending Roar and Thrown Gauntlet won't help you, so skip them. Piercing Chill is loved by many, but I've not used it much, and I think it was nerfed. Still might be something to try out, though. Otherwise, Reckoning can be nice if you can get much strategic use from Intercede, but I'd probably rather go back and take some of those sweet, sweet Tier 3s instead if you don't want it.

xenobla
1 year ago#5
I see. Is sonic wall really that bad? XD I see it recommended on quite a few guides. I know that the ability which grants sonic barrier(cant rmb the name), normally casts it on yourself. But when you have the sonic barrier utility, it completely does not give you a shield anymore?

xenobla
1 year ago#6
JLazarillo posted...
Utilities? Let's see:

-Tier 1, there's nothing super amazing, but Payback can be pretty useful. From there it's either Path Carver for a little extra AoE damage or Deadly Reprisal for a little extra Rage. You should rarely have Rage issues with a tank, so I'd go for the former.

-Tier 2, first off, do NOT take Sonic Wall. It sounds like a nice utility for protecting teammates, but it's a very weak shield and will not stack with other similar abilities, overriding them instead. Since things like Shield Probe (and most importantly, Static Barrier) are much more powerful, you don't want to mess with them. Beyond that, I like Strangulate, but I mostly solo; it's not useful for FPs and Ops. Similarly, Unstoppable, is freaking great for soloing and trash fights, but you won't be doing much leaping against bosses, so it may be more limited use for you. Crushing Fist is a decent debuff and Unshackling Rage gives some nice general use buffs to Enrage, so they're probably you're best bet.

-Tier 3, is hard, almost everything is good here, except probably Warbringer. You can probably safely skip Seething Hatred, too, because again, it's for trash fighting/story play. The rest, it's harder. I'd probably skip Hardened Defense until/unless you're doing PvP, since you won't be controlled that often. Through Power is also probably safe to skip if you took Unshackling Rage, since they have similar effects (but Enrage is up much more often than Enraged Defense). That leaves Through Passion which is great because you want Enraged Defense as much as possible, and Consuming Rage, which turns the rather middling band-aid of Endure Pain into a self purge that can be very helpful.

-Tier 4, you definitely want Intimidating Presence; it's bread-and-butter for a Tank, and darned useful even on DPS. I also like Through Victory since, as noted above, I don't use Unshackling Rage most of the time, but like Through Power, it's kind of redundant, and as a tank, you don't want to be using Mad Dash mid-fight, so I'd skip it (at best, just go back up and take Through Power instead of a second Tier 4 if you want the movement boost). Extending Roar and Thrown Gauntlet won't help you, so skip them. Piercing Chill is loved by many, but I've not used it much, and I think it was nerfed. Still might be something to try out, though. Otherwise, Reckoning can be nice if you can get much strategic use from Intercede, but I'd probably rather go back and take some of those sweet, sweet Tier 3s instead if you don't want it.

Is warmonger good? I see it in some lists. For the tier 1 utility

JLazarillo
1 year ago#7
xenobla posted...
But when you have the sonic barrier utility, it completely does not give you a shield anymore?

The problem with Sonic Barrier is that it overrides a Sorcerer's Force Barrier, rather than stacking with it, and since the Force Barrier is much, much stronger, it's usually more of a hindrance than a help.

xenobla posted...
Is warmonger good? I see it in some lists. For the tier 1 utility

Ehhhhhhhh, in certain contexts, I can see it being useful. Generally if you're in the role of "off"-tank in a fight with a lot of adds (e.g., TYTH, Bestia) or you're going to be switching targets on a regular basis (Revanite Commanders, maybe Zorn and Toth, though that one's probably long enough between swaps that your leap is cooling down anyway).

I generally pass it up because Seething Hatred is much better for non-boss combat, but if you're in an Ops fighting a boss that doesn't do control, or you really want one of the other Tier 3's and don't have room for SH, then can be a reasonable pick.

xenobla
1 year ago#8
JLazarillo posted...
If you're mostly going to be doing group PvE content, Tank gearing is pretty easy: just focus on getting endgame set bonus gear rank 230+ and keeping Shield and Absorb about even. Defense will be added by pretty much everything so you don't really have to worry about how much you're getting.

I keep seein this endgame set bonus, but what actually is it? Currently im wearin a modded full set of the bx cybernetic armour.

Ehhhhhhhh, in certain contexts, I can see it being useful. Generally if you're in the role of "off"-tank in a fight with a lot of adds (e.g., TYTH, Bestia) or you're going to be switching targets on a regular basis (Revanite Commanders, maybe Zorn and Toth, though that one's probably long enough between swaps that your leap is cooling down anyway).

I generally pass it up because Seething Hatred is much better for non-boss combat, but if you're in an Ops fighting a boss that doesn't do control, or you really want one of the other Tier 3's and don't have room for SH, then can be a reasonable pick.

So i only take payback at tier 1, curshing fist and unshacking rage for tier 2, through passion and consuming rage for tier 3 and finally intimidating presence for tier 4
  1. Boards
  2. Star Wars: The Old Republic
  3. Immortal Juggernaut gear stat help, utilities and tanking tips
  • Topic Archived