• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Origins
  3. Early Game Impressions

User Info: Manormanmark

Manormanmark
3 months ago#1
So, I started the game on Nightmare as a Rogue Dwarf Commoner on Saturday, and have logged around ten hours. My current game progression is that I have witnessed the betrayal at the battlefield and am about to leave the witches house to embark on my big adventure. Thought i would post my initial impressions.
Graphically, the game does nothing special even for its day of release, but the sheer scope of the game world and the actual design of the environments more than makes up for that. An example would be the statues in the dwarves city.
The music is stellar, and I would say the soundtrack during my fight with Beraht made a lengthy cheese endurance battle feel much more intense than it actually was. The soundtrack overall could well be among my favourites.
The story seems rather well done, with particular praise to the lore and the detail behind each characters backstory. I also really find myself attaching to certain characters and disliking others, such as during the initiation into the Grey Wardens when I really found Jorry to be a coward, and so wasnt as bothered by his fate as I was that of the other member of my proving.
The gameplay is rather nice but clunky. With such oscillation in difficulty as you find on Nightmare, where one fight can be easy and the next devious, tactical planning is a necessity. Highlights include an ambush halfway through the Tower of Ishal and the culminating boss atop it.

Overall, I am absolutely hooked, and just wondered how many hours from my current point will this game take me to do everything at a steady pace?

User Info: EvilTyger

EvilTyger
3 months ago#2
Including or not including DLC?

Also, including or not including the fact that it will take multiple playthroughs to see and do 'everything'?

Depending on backtracking for side quests, I'd say 25-30 hours for the main game.

Manormanmark
3 months ago#3
EvilTyger posted...
Including or not including DLC?

Also, including or not including the fact that it will take multiple playthroughs to see and do 'everything'?

Depending on backtracking for side quests, I'd say 25-30 hours for the main game.

Base game, single playthrough. I've hit 25 hours and of the branching story, I've done the Circle Tower and I'm doing Redcliffe at the moment. It's my intention to do every side quest available to me and experience most the dialogue

User Info: Foreman22

Foreman22
3 months ago#4
Absolutely my favorite game of all time.
Frjalslyndisminn laoar ao peim sem hallast ao tilfinningum i stao greindar.

Manormanmark
3 months ago#5
Foreman22 posted...
Absolutely my favorite game of all time.

Yeah I've done Redcliffe and Magic Tower, I'm doing the elves section at the moment, and it's definitely top 20 RPGs for me. I dig the old school PC vibe

User Info: LonerwolfM

LonerwolfM
2 months ago#6
Just my opinion here but you should at least do the other origin backstories. Even IF you don't finish the playthroughs with those characters the origin backstories will give you additional insights later in the game that you wouldn't have otherwhise.
GT LONER WOLF - Makoto, GT LONER WOLF 02 - Yata. Feel free to send 1 or both FR if need be:~) Enjoy ! Hopefully that message doesnt need retyped :~}
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Origins
  3. Early Game Impressions
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A