• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Origins
  3. Alistair's Approval *sigh*

User Info: wingednosering

wingednosering
10 years ago#1
How the hell can I get Alistair's approval rating higher? In both of my playthroughs now he absolutely hates me, but this second time I'm actually trying to get my romance achievement for him.

I understand the whole gift system: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Gifts
But even after all the gifts, I'm still barely even able to get his personal quest...just like last time. The problem is that twice throughout the game, you encounter situations that have NO realistic resolution that don't harm his approval rating.

----Spoilers-----

Connor's problems in Redcliffe and the Landsmeet both have three solutions and he automatically loses approval for all of them, even if he's not in your party (for Landsmeet he always is though).
So what can I do? The only option I could possibly see would be to go through yet a THIRD time and make a deal with Connor's demon to make the people around you love you.

---End Spoilers---

Advice?
Xbox Gamertag: IzzQuad
Brawl Friend Code: 1203-9182-4828

User Info: Archon522

Archon522
10 years ago#2
-Spoilers-

Use him in your party, quite often. Make sure you give him his personal gifts, Duncan's Shield which can be found in the grey wardens stash in denerium, and his moms pendant which is in redcliffe castle. If you are in another relationship already, Alistair will kind of stay away from you, so make sure you break anything else off. In Redcliffe, getting the mages to do the ceremony to save Connor instead of Jowan boosts his rating quite a bit. Basically, playing a goody goody character, keeping him in your party and talking to him often, without putting him down or insulting him, boosts his rating. I did this from the beginning with a female city elf character, and by the time I was done with Redcliffe and the Urn of Sacred Ashes, he was kissing my butt. But he takes forever to get the achievement for, his rating has to be super high. Hope it helps!

(All spellings may be wrong, just woke up...and I don't feel like looking up the correct spellings of places/characters)
360 & PS3 > Wii
STOP SUPPORTING NINTENDO

Archon522
10 years ago#3
-Spoilers-

As for the Landsmeet, make sure you are rooting for him all the way, and when it comes to Loghain, you be Alistair's champion. You will then have the option to kill Loghain..you can do it, or let Alistair do it. Be warned though, if you make him King, or try and have him marry Anora, his romance will automatically end for you, unless you harden him during his personal quest. Also, Anora will hate Alistair and not marry him if he is the one that actually kills Loghain, (She says she cannot marry the person who killed her father).
360 & PS3 > Wii
STOP SUPPORTING NINTENDO

wingednosering
10 years ago#4
bump

User Info: Michotic

Michotic
10 years ago#5
I found it pretty easy to get Alistair's approval up. He loves Runestones and Statuettes as gifts, so give them to him. When you talk to him, be nice to him. You can joke with him a bit, sometimes that works better. Always do the 'right' thing when Alistair is in your group, and he'll like you.

wingednosering
10 years ago#6
Connor's exploits are the only time I've actually gone against Alistair's wishes, but I seem unable to recover from it. It gave me -21 approval (which isn't bad...can be -51) and I can't see a way to make that back, even with every gift in the game...

Archon522
10 years ago#7
If you haven't already given him his two special gifts...try that. otherwise..bring him with you everywhere, help everyone you can..be a super goody character...it might help.
360 & PS3 > Wii
STOP SUPPORTING NINTENDO

User Info: ProphetofBling

ProphetofBling
10 years ago#8
You can easily get approval from Alistair from Connor's quest by simply going to the circle of Magi and asking them for help.

Asking the mages for help is the "good" option.

User Info: The5thSeraph

The5thSeraph
10 years ago#9
Oddly enough... I found that when you go to the Camp after using the Blood-Magic option for Connor... when Alastair engages you in convo.... if you quiz him about it, he rage-vents and gets ridiculously annoyed... BUT if you tell him it went rather well, he acts all pleased about it.

Funny how that works.
** []\/[] //\\ [])) []\/[] //\\ []\[] **

User Info: Rip_Van_WinkleX

Rip_Van_WinkleX
10 years ago#10

Oddly enough... I found that when you go to the Camp after using the Blood-Magic option for Connor... when Alastair engages you in convo.... if you quiz him about it, he rage-vents and gets ridiculously annoyed... BUT if you tell him it went rather well, he acts all pleased about it.

Funny how that works.

Yea, I said that as kinda of a a funny sorry and he liked it >.< Then again, he did kinda hate the mother.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Origins
  3. Alistair's Approval *sigh*
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A