• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Origins
  3. Assassin/Bard Build?

User Info: SpeechieMoogle

SpeechieMoogle
11 years ago#1
Hey everyone, I'm about to receive the game in the mail and had a few questions about my first build.

Please keep in mind that I've never played a game like this before, and ultimately don't really care for the math involved behind everything. I'm more interested in building a character that will be able to get through the game so I can enjoy the role playing aspect, opposed to OMG THE BEST DPS POSSIBLE.

I've looked up the class specializations and think that I'd like to try a rogue assassin/bard. So...

1. Is this combo worthwhile? Or do the skill sets not work together at all?

2. I know that there is a dagger glitch. One way I've heard of getting around this is using Lethality to make a 'Cunning' build. In this build I would put a lot of points into cunning and dex, correct? So that I can equip the best daggers, but damage would be based on cunning rather than strength, right?

I just want to make sure I'm on the right track of how to make the rogue usable, given the glitch. I've tried looking around here but the conversations usually get too technical for me to want to follow.

I'm really just looking for a generalized, straight answer here.

Thanks everyone!
www.twitter.com/seeoharewhy
www.seeoharewhy.enjoysthin.gs

User Info: Severian113

Severian113
11 years ago#2
You only go Assassin/Bard for two reasons:

1: Bard songs use Cunning for extra stat boost, so boosting Cunning is worthwhile,

and

2: you can afford to stack Cunning instead of Strength as an Assassin, provided you don't mind wearing leather.

Strength rogues will be easier to build, but a Cunning build is fun too. I actually went Duelist/Bard (a worse combo by far), and because you rarely use abilities while backstabbing, it's easy to maintain two or three sustainables--like Momentum and Song of Courage.

User Info: TheBeastWithin

TheBeastWithin
11 years ago#3
Use a cunning rogue and backstab with it. Get momentum, lethality, use song of courage, use death mark, exploit weakness, and as your enemies die in seconds, you will wonder what everyone bashing daggers is talking about.

Assassin/bard is fine. You can skip the last bard ability. You can consider skipping the last two assassin abilities. Normally they aren't as useful as other skills, but for your build, feast of the fallen would probably be quite good since the bard song and momentum will eat your stamina.
Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!

User Info: Fiach

Fiach
11 years ago#4
I have a great Bard Assassin, I never used Lethality as I have never been convinced by arguments for it, also nobody can furnish me with the basis for the figures they quote here. Whereas STR is quantified.

Feast is great for recouping STAM, So I used Bard/Assassin Dual Wield with Momentum.

I used Veshille and Aodh, then replaced Aodh with Starfang.

The last bard skill is not something I would choose either.
PSN : SpudJunkey DD DA : Pawn Vladak Lv 200 Strider

User Info: AL3X262

AL3X262
11 years ago#5
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/66/index/223777/1

If that link doesn't convince you on how powerful lethality is, then you're just ignorant =P Keep in mind that those DPS numbers are based on an unnoficial PC patch that "fixes" dagger damage so .5 of your strength (or cunning with lethality) and .5 of your dex governs the damage daggers do. Currently on consoles, strength (or cunning with lethality) alone is what determines dagger damage, making lethality that much more powerful until our console version gets patched.

On topic, like others have mentioned, a cunning rogue can do amazing damage with assassin/bard, since most talents in those trees get more powerful with more cunning. I get that you care more about roleplaying than actual DPS, but it seems like the combo you mentioned could very well be the most powerful rogue build.

User Info: WhisprngActualy

WhisprngActualy
11 years ago#6
All the advice these folks are giving you is great advice! i use this exact same build and its awesome! i love it, i can open anything, disarm anything, win any persuasion, kill anything in seconds. High Cunning, enough Dex to get skills and enough strength to equip a decent weapon. lots and lots of fun!
PSN & XBox Gamer Tag- MalonesCones
nathanhartman.blogspot.com

User Info: Amoral1ty

Amoral1ty
11 years ago#7

I have a great Bard Assassin, I never used Lethality as I have never been convinced by arguments for it, also nobody can furnish me with the basis for the figures they quote here. Whereas STR is quantified.

http://i45.tinypic.com/15ov5aq.jpg
There you go bro.
Currently playing://APB Reloaded

User Info: Fiach

Fiach
11 years ago#8
Cheers mate, not much use to me now though as I'm pretty much done with DAO. But hopefully they will benefit TC.

AFAIK, those aren't Bioware figures, just some players conclusions after testing (rather thoroughly I assume), the different stats.

Its a shame Bioware couldnt furnish something like that when people were actually playing the game :)

Thanks again :)
PSN : SpudJunkey DD DA : Pawn Vladak Lv 200 Strider

User Info: SpeechieMoogle

SpeechieMoogle
11 years ago#9
Thanks everyone, I can't wait to start playing!
www.twitter.com/seeoharewhy
www.seeoharewhy.enjoysthin.gs

User Info: Amoral1ty

Amoral1ty
11 years ago#10
Well you're correct to an extent but the theorycrafter behind those stats (Discobird) pulled the damage formula from the source code using the PC Toolset and then put the relevant info through a spreadsheet to come up with the DPS solutions you see before you. So yeah, they aren't Bioware figures but they're pretty damn close.

Unfortunately, it's the best we have so we have to make do with them.
Currently playing://APB Reloaded
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Origins
  3. Assassin/Bard Build?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A