Best way to reduce over-steer?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Race Pro
  3. Best way to reduce over-steer?

User Info: Super_Tom

Super_Tom
9 years ago#1
I'm quite happy with my setup for my Seat Leon. I've won quite a few races online with it. But I do tend to get a little oversteer at high speeds. The car handles like a dream in 3rd/4th gear. But if I'm speeding in 5th/6th. The back end tends to slide around a bit.

What's the best way to fix this? Suspension? Inflated tyres? Downforce?
http://card.mygamercard.net/mini/totallytom85.png http://s4.tinypic.com/2w3p6z8.jpg

User Info: Rhawb

Rhawb
9 years ago#2
I was having trouble in the Radicals with some oversteer on Valencia (many a curse word was shouted), so I turned up the downforce to 7 (max). It worked wonders for my mid and high speed corner stability, I'd say that's your best bet. You may want to soften up the bracing in the rear of the car a bit too, I'm far from an expert with suspension settings but I believe softer rear suspension makes a car less apt to face backwards.

User Info: Satanshelper

Satanshelper
9 years ago#3
Rhawb posted...
, I'm far from an expert with suspension settings but I believe softer rear suspension makes a car less apt to face backwards.

Yup, or you can try softening up the front suspension. If it understeers you do the opposite.

User Info: seankane

seankane
9 years ago#4

Satanshelper posted...
Rhawb posted...
, I'm far from an expert with suspension settings but I believe softer rear suspension makes a car less apt to face backwards.

Yup, or you can try softening up the front suspension. If it understeers you do the opposite.

You mean 'stiffen' the front suspension?

Anyways, working on the end of the car that needs improving is usually the better bet as trying to counteract balance issues by changing the opposite end of the car might result in a good balance, but less overall grip. I'd definitely try softening the rear suspension and/or anti-roll bar(since the problem is in high-speed cornering) first.

I'd also wait to increase the downforce until you've tried the other solution.

And are you(the OP) sure that your steering inputs are nice and smooth? Sometimes, especially in highspeed corners, if you make too quick of a steering input, then the car is liable to get away from you. The only reason I ask is because I find that many people try and setup their car to get around their faults in their driving, instead of working on the faults, and then perfecting the setup. There's generally more time to be gained through improving your ability than working on setup. I'm sorry if this doesn't apply to you, but for somebody else reading, it might be useful advice.

User Info: Twigman200

Twigman200
9 years ago#5
The only way to increase your total grip are with alignment settings to get as much of the tire on the ground as possible. Generally, all suspension settings can do is help the ability to use all your available grip, that is make the car neutral in a corner. So basically anyway that you can get a car balanced will make you faster, and your total grip is not lowered. The challenge is to get the car balanced at all times, which won't happen if you're only working with one setting.
Math illiteracy affects 7 out of every 5 people

User Info: seankane

seankane
9 years ago#6

Twigman200 posted...
The only way to increase your total grip are with alignment settings to get as much of the tire on the ground as possible. Generally, all suspension settings can do is help the ability to use all your available grip, that is make the car neutral in a corner. So basically anyway that you can get a car balanced will make you faster, and your total grip is not lowered. The challenge is to get the car balanced at all times, which won't happen if you're only working with one setting.

Thats not quite true. You're right in that a proper suspension setup only helps make use of the grip available(though you could equally say that about alignment settings since tires are really the only limit on your grip), but the point is that if your suspension setup is not optimal, then you're not gonna generate as much grip, therefore, changing your suspension setup CAN give you more grip.

Getting a good balance on your car does not necessarily make the car faster, especially as certain people have certain preferences on what a good balance is. What it does do is give you more confidence, which will let you push harder, and be more consistent.

User Info: Super_Tom

Super_Tom
9 years ago#7
Thanks for the help folks. I think I may be in way over my head with all these settings and tweaks for the car. But I will play with the suspension and see what I can get.

Oh, and it seemed strange seeing you guys spell tyre (British) as tire (American). Didn't know it had two different spellings! Duh. Actually had to look it up, thought I was going mad haha.
http://card.mygamercard.net/mini/totallytom85.png http://s4.tinypic.com/2w3p6z8.jpg

Satanshelper
9 years ago#8
I advise not tuning the suspension assymmetrically unless you're a closet tuning god. If you read the description about camber, on a twisty track you should increase it, on a track with faster corners you should descrease it. The hard part is on tracks like Monza where you have the low speed chicanes, the high speed parbollica and the medium speed corners at the top.

Satanshelper
9 years ago#9
seankane posted...

You mean 'stiffen' the front suspension?

>

My bad yeah....
  1. Boards
  2. Race Pro
  3. Best way to reduce over-steer?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived