The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Yakuza 3
  3. Don't understand why most people call the Yakuza games "Japanese GTA"

User Info: Mean_Bob91

Mean_Bob91
9 years ago#1
It's nothing like it. Do people really expect anything and everything where you have a bit of free will to be just like GTA? I never understood it :/

User Info: TheCyborgNinja

TheCyborgNinja
9 years ago#2
It's nothing like GTA, but I interpret that expression to mean it's a cultural equivalent.
Official Cyborg Ninja of the XB-SB
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo

User Info: Bustah_Woolf

Bustah_Woolf
9 years ago#3
Unfortunately Cyborg, the teenage brats that go and buy this THINKING it's GTA don't care if it's culturally equivalent if they can't pick up hookers, hit old ladies with a car, or go on a murdering spree in the middle of the street.
"Are you okay?!?!"

User Info: Mean_Bob91

Mean_Bob91
9 years ago#4
^Yes, that is EXACTLY my point. Hell, that may be why the games didn't sell as much as it should have too

User Info: Bigdrudogg

Bigdrudogg
9 years ago#5

that always made me laugh..GTA?? It's not even close.. If anything I'd call it a beat'm up with RPG elements

User Info: scjet

scjet
9 years ago#6
The first one was advertised as the Japanese GTA and well that piece of bad advertising stuck, so people who don't know better jump in thinking its a GTA style game and come out very disappointed at the end.
February 29th, 2010
Never Forget!

User Info: mario_pot

mario_pot
9 years ago#7
it's really one of those games you have to experience to understand what it is.
Are you living or just breathing to death? GT:mariopot psn: mario_pot

User Info: Arachkid

Arachkid
9 years ago#8
Unfortunately, people nowadays can't just understand without having it compared to something else, so most websites will automatically compare it to GTA. Not that I don't like GTA, but anyone who goes into this expecting that would be disappointed - although if they gave the game some time - I'm sure they'd enjoy it just fine.

User Info: Panopictonguy

Panopictonguy
9 years ago#9
Well...this is how I see it.

Final Fantasy = Japanese Dungeons & Dragons

Yakuza = Japanese Grand Theft Auto

The cultural differences can be seen in gameplay elements.

JRPG's play drastically different from WRPG's.

This Genre I guess we can call Crime Sandbox??? idk lol. But yeah GTA is Western Crime Sandbox & Yakuza is Japanese Crime Sandbox...would that fit better?

Even though there's no Grand Theft Auto taking place in the game it's very similar to the series as far as being a freeroam game centered around criminal activity.

GT: Ningenmaru, PSN: Nuninga
  1. Boards
  2. Yakuza 3
  3. Don't understand why most people call the Yakuza games "Japanese GTA"
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers