• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Chrono Trigger
  3. Original Timeline Zeal? (spoilers)

User Info: Blazingdragoon4

Blazingdragoon4
8 years ago#1
So, we all know that in the altered timeline, Crono and gang go back to antiquity, confront Queen Zeal in the Ocean palace, destroy it, the Black Omen hangs in the sky for the rest of the game, etc...

My question is, what happened to Zeal in the original timeline, before Crono and the gang interrupted everything? I know the obvious question is Queen Zeal died, but how? It is never really explained how Zeal and the black omen don't exist in the original timeline, especially considering how the events that happened in the altered timeline, Zeal summoning Lavos, are likely what happened in the original.

If anyone has any info on this, let me know, I am very interested.

User Info: Rocky2418

Rocky2418
8 years ago#2
I looked up your inquiry at the Chrono Compendium website, and learned something new, which makes a lot of sense! Basically...

SPOILERS

In the altered timeline, just after Crono is vaporized and the palace is falling apart, Schala says that she has just enough power to send 3 people out of the palace to safety - in this instance Magus and the two party members that were with Crono. This leaves her trapped with the Mammon Machine, and her mother still trapped with Lavos. The Black Omen rises because of Queen Zeal and her now-continuing connection with Lavos. So then, in the original timeline, Crono and friends wouldn't have been there as excess baggage. Which would mean that Schala could use her power to send 3 originally present people away to safety. Namely, herself, her mother, and someone else if needed (the site suggests maybe Dalton). The queen would thus be pulled apart from Lavos and would never instigate the creation of the Black Omen, AND...

SPOILERS for Chrono Cross

Schala would continue living her normal life, and would never start merging with Lavos or the Mammon Machine, only to evolve into the Time Devourer of Chrono Cross.

I'm glad you asked, and that I looked it up, because I'd never figured out what Chrono Trigger's heroes could have done to doom Schala when she hadn't been doomed before. That's pretty cool! Of course, this answer isn't guaranteed to be correct, as the game itself doesn't definitively answer the question for us, but it does make sense. And it IS based on dialogue from the game - Schala saying how many people she can save. So I'd say it's a logical, reliable answer. Oh, and you can read the rest of the brief article here:

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Black_Omen_%28Presence_of%29.html
"Why is it so hard? Why can't you just take me? I don't have much to go before I fade completely." - Kelly Clarkson, Irvine

User Info: Blazingdragoon4

Blazingdragoon4
8 years ago#3
So it seems that the answer is that Schala transports Herself, Queen Zeal, and Dalton out of the little pocket dimension where they go back to Zeal and and subsequently all destroyed when Lavos destroys the Ocean palace and then decides to attack Zeal itself.

Seems to make a lot of sense, especially considering the part about the pendant, though I doubt Schala survived to pass on the pendant, but rather the pendant probably just washed up on shore to be found by one of the few survivors.

User Info: Rocky2418

Rocky2418
8 years ago#4
Yeah, that's sounds reasonable. Though we don't know for sure if any or all of the original 3 were killed in the Lavos attack, or if they were among the survivors on the land remains. Because remember, in the altered timeline, Schala doesn't send Magus and the others back up to Zeal, but rather to Earth's surface. So she might have sent the original 3 there too. Basically, as far as we know, we have no way of knowing, nor does it really matter. They might have died right then, or from natural causes later. Doesn't really matter I guess.
"Why is it so hard? Why can't you just take me? I don't have much to go before I fade completely." - Kelly Clarkson, Irvine

User Info: Starloving_Fool

Starloving_Fool
8 years ago#5
Schala *and* the pendant have to survive to be passed down to the Guardia line and eventually given to Marle, so I'd like to think that once Lavos woke up and became *very* cranky, that Schala teleported herself and Queen Zeal out of the Ocean Palace - according to in-game evidence, it seems likely that the Gates hurled the three Gurus (and Janus) to their respective time periods just beforehand and Schala was left with only herself and her mother.

Assuming that her connection to Lavos was broken when she was teleported out, Queen Zeal might have gone on to life a productive life afterward and might, in fact, be one of the earliest (outside of Ayla and Kino) in the Guardia lineage along with Schala.

There's also the idea that Queen Zeal's soul was merely consumed by Lavos and that only Schala was able to get out and that, as the princess, she alone was the beginning of the royal line that passed down the pendant to her descendants. It should be noted that the Elder of the Earthbound village bares a striking resemblance to Doan of Arris Dome, so perhaps she gave the pendant to him and let him pass it down to his descendants.

Interestingly, Dalton does not show up in the flashbacks so it's possible he was an unintended consequence of Magus being hurled back into the past after his battle with Crono and company.

One of the overarching "themes" of Chrono Cross does make mention of the idea that "In preventing the future apocalypse of the planet, we saved millions of lives; but what about those trillions that were never allowed to come into being?" - suggesting that the Trigger group might have worried about the possible consequences of their actions, such as Schala's fate and what became of Guardia post-Trigger timeline.
"Thou art such a pain in the...! Confound it all! I'm starting to talk like you!" - Sabin
"Wow... me fail English? That's unpossible!"

User Info: W_Mark_Felt_Sr

W_Mark_Felt_Sr
8 years ago#6
Blazingdragoon4 posted...
Seems to make a lot of sense, especially considering the part about the pendant, though I doubt Schala survived to pass on the pendant, but rather the pendant probably just washed up on shore to be found by one of the few survivors.

In the altered timeline, Marle's pendant (that Crono was holding before he died) washed up on shore and was found by the Earthbound Elder (he directly states this to you) before he gave it back to the player's party. In the original timeline maybe the Earthbound Elder found Schala's pendant instead.
http://tinyurl.com/6ak2wg8
^Almost all non-translated FF Ultimania interviews ever. Tons of exclusive info. Please help translate them.
  1. Boards
  2. Chrono Trigger
  3. Original Timeline Zeal? (spoilers)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers