• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Chrono Trigger
  3. Is "Kingdom Trial" a rip-off of the Pink Floyd's "The Trial"?

User Info: W_Mark_Felt_Sr

W_Mark_Felt_Sr
10 years ago#1
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3177237
Not changing this sig until Square Enix reveals that codename FORTRESS is actually FINAL FANTASY XV.
You read it first on GameFAQs.

User Info: felixrush

felixrush
10 years ago#2
Mitsuda, the composer for Chrono Cross, has been ripping off music?

If true, this will be even worse than the Super Robot Taisen music composer scandal.
"We believe what we want to believe, it's all we ever do." - Coolest person in Dragon Age: Origins

User Info: LBoksha

LBoksha
10 years ago#3
Meh. Finding minor similarities like this in songs is really, really common. It's not a matter of ripping off, it's just a matter of certain combinations of notes being rather obvious (not to mention impossible to get out of your head once you heard them). In this case, it's just the first 5 notes of an 8 note riff, and the timing and followup is completely different (not to mention the rest of the entire bloody song). If that's "ripping off", then there are plenty more examples to be found of ripping off, eating, crapping it out and lighting the result on fire.
You try to run away. But there's no escape! The enemy tries to run away. But there's no escape!

User Info: NaliaDanger

NaliaDanger
10 years ago#4
Maybe instead of a rip-off, it's an homage.
I'm the coolest dork you'll ever meet.

felixrush
10 years ago#5
Is there really a difference from a legal standpoint?
"We believe what we want to believe, it's all we ever do." - Coolest person in Dragon Age: Origins

User Info: menschmaschine5

menschmaschine5
10 years ago#6

Is there really a difference from a legal standpoint?

Since the similarity only lies in a few notes, it couldn't be considered a rip-off.

felixrush
10 years ago#7
Hm... guess this is just a case of 1up trying to be attention whores again, then.

User Info: ignasia7

ignasia7
10 years ago#8
Yes felix, there is. If the song is a direct copy, that's plagiarism, if the song seeks to meld aspects of the original into it, in key points, that's typically referred to as a homage. Or if the lyrics are meant to meld aspects of the original.

Aspects, similarities, but not direct copies....the line is rather thin, and while some of those songs are definite ripoffs, a few are certainly not. Of course, it depends on the artist, but really, most everything is inspired in some fashion, even unconsciously, from something else.

I was really surprised to see the Trial....there just isn't enough similarity to say it's a direct ripoff. It's definitely the inspiration for the song, but the differences are too vast, and he definitely makes the song his own.

I think many people jump at symbols wanting to find similarities, sometimes projecting what they thought they heard.

One-winged angel was an interesting take, but it was blatantly obvious the theme was ripped right out of Burana when I first heard it (still, so few examples, and really, I'd say most VG music is just similar between games of the same composer, and less so between different composers).

Interesting read Mark.

Robo's theme I think was definitely a homage (particularly given the robot was dancing after you fix him, and there are similarities to Rick's video in that).
www.backloggery.com/sleeper_hits - Where the good games are remembered.
Life can be as much about satisfaction as the act of living it.

User Info: lastelixer

lastelixer
10 years ago#9
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]

User Info: LBoksha

LBoksha
10 years ago#10
lastelixer... DGHASLIH!
FOR ****S SAKE USE SPOILER TAGS if you blatantly go yelling what characters die and which don't.
God...
You try to run away. But there's no escape! The enemy tries to run away. But there's no escape!
  1. Boards
  2. Chrono Trigger
  3. Is "Kingdom Trial" a rip-off of the Pink Floyd's "The Trial"?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A