Frequently Asked Questions - Please Read Before Posting (12/12/08)

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Chrono Trigger
  3. Frequently Asked Questions - Please Read Before Posting (12/12/08)

User Info: RevenantThings

RevenantThings
9 years ago#1
Please do not post until I am finished!

Frequently Asked Questions – Please Read Before Posting (12/12/08)

Chrono Trigger DS Board FAQ

Introduction

This topic and most of the FAQs on this website make use of your browser’s search/find feature (CTRL+F). Please use it to make browsing for specific answers easier on yourself and read through this topic before you make the 500th one regarding the time portal sequence.

I’ll try to avoid spoilers for the most part. However, some of the questions asked simply have no answer to be given without some spoiler. For the most part, all of the Gameplay Questions will contain at least some spoilers, as well as the Chrono Questions.

Before we go any further, please refer to the following FAQs for any and all questions not found in this guide:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/950181/55027 - General Walkthrough
http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/950181/55094 - Dimensional Vortex Guide
http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/950181/54909 - Lost Sanctum Guide
http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/950181/54975 - Arena of Ages Guide
http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/950181/55057 - Ending Guide

These are available for a reason – to be used!

DS Added Content
[101] Does this game use the touch screen?
[102] Is using the stylus optional?
[103] Can I play on only one screen?
[104] What is different/new compared to the original version?
[105] Can we play with the original translation?
[106] How to you access the new dungeons?
[107] What’s the Arena of Ages and how do I use it?
[108] How can I view the new ending?
[109] Is there a new playable character?
[110] Where can the new items be obtained?
[111] What PS1 extras are still in?

Gameplay Questions
[201]Why did my game freeze during the time portal?
[202] Why can’t I open the door in the Cathedral?
[203] How do I recruit _______ (SPOILERS)?
[204] Why can’t I climb up Death Peak?
[205] How do I walk around Spekkio’s room correctly?
[206] Should I use the bucket when I reach The End of Time?
[207] How do I open those sealed chests?
[208] How do you ‘upgrade’ the sealed chests?
[209] Where can I find these missing bestiary entries?
[210] Is there any way I can get Magus in the bestiary but still recruit him?
[211] Where can I find these missing items?
[212] What is the password for ____?
[213] Where is the Wonder Rock/lumicite?

Chrono Series Questions
[301] Will there be a new Chrono game?
[302] Does this game tie up any loose ends from Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross?
[303] Is Magus now officially Guile?
[304] What happened to Dalton?
[305] Who took the Masamune and attacked Guardia?
[306] Can we save Schala?
[307] Why did spell ‘Crono’ wrong again?

General Questions

[401] How long until a full FAQ is put up?
[402] When will there be a strategy guide?
[403] Is this game worth my purchase?
[404] When will the game be released in EU?

Dead Horses
[501] Why is my game frozen?
[502] Why does Marle have six fingers and/or why is she casting Fire?
[503] Is ____ a time paradox?
[504] Is there any way to get Frog to turn back into Glenn.
[505] Why do the characters look like Dragonball Z?
[506] Why did they get rid of Frog’s accent?

RevenantThings
9 years ago#2
DS Added Content

[101] Does this game use the touch screen?

The game can be played using the touch screen and/or the D-Pad and normal DS buttons. You have the option of picking which style you want, and you can switch any time in the options menu.

[102] Is using the stylus optional?

Yes.

[103] Can I play on only one screen?

Yes, though you may find things a little cramped if you play with just the top screen.

[104] What is different/new compared to the original version?

Yes, although much of the script is similar to the original. It fixes most of the errors in the original SNES version and leaves out a bit of the open endedness in the dialogue.

[105] Can we play with the original translation?

No.

[106] How to you access the new dungeons?

There are two major new locations – The Lost Sanctum and The Dimensional Vortex. The Lost Sanctum is divided into two dungeons and basically consists of fetch quests and a few new bosses. The Dimensional Vortex consists of three dungeons that have three bosses at the end.

The Lost Sanctum is made available during the storyline after obtaining the upgraded Epoch – it is mandatory and cannot be missed. The two Gates are in Prehistory (top right corner of the map) and in the Middle Ages (near Ozzie’s Fort).

The Dimensional Vortex can be entered after beating the game once. You can enter in your New Game+ or you can load up your last save and get them there. The entrances are in the Present (near Crono’s house), Antiquity (near the Surviving Village) and the Future (near Geno Dome).

[107] What’s the Arena of Ages and how do I use it?

You can raise monsters to fight in an arena to net you powerful and rare items. You can also use these to fight against friends locally. You can access it from the title screen or from The End of Time. Make sure if you enter from the title screen that you save before leaving, or else the game will not remember your progress.

[108] How can I view the new ending?

Complete the Dimensional Vortex dungeons and go to The End of Time. Use the bucket and you will be given a new option – take it and you’ll fight the new final boss.

[109] Is there a new playable character?

No.

[110] Where can the new items be obtained?

The arena items and some new accessories can only be found in the monster arena. The new equipment can be found in The Lost Sanctum and the Dimensional Vortex dungeons. Crono’s final weapon is obtained after beating the new final boss.

[111] What other PS1 extras are in?

All of the PS1 extras are in, including:

-Treasure maps
-Item encyclopedia
-Bestiary
-Movie player
-Music player
-Ending guide (cannot playback endings)
-technique list
-art gallery

Gameplay Questions

[201]Why did my game freeze during the time portal?

You have met one of Square Enix’s anti-piracy measures. If you can’t pick up on subtlety – you’re playing an illegal copy of the game. Don’t try and say you’re stuck in a time portal and have a legitimate copy of the game – you’d be lying and everyone will know it.

There is a fix, but it is against the ToU to discuss it. So do your own research or simply purchase the game to fix the problem.

[202] Why can’t I open the door in the Cathedral?

This is the same as the time portal – an anti-piracy measure preventing you from advancing the game until you purchase or do something else about it.

RevenantThings
9 years ago#3
[203] How do I recruit _______ (SPOILERS) ?

The major six characters all are mandatory and will join as the story progresses. The one optional character will join should you answer one of his questions the ‘right’ way. You cannot miss out on meeting this extra character as it is part of the storyline. Just think peacefully and decline to fight and you’ll be fine.

[204] Why can’t I climb up Death Peak?

Chances are you’re there too early. You cannot climb Death Peak until it has a part in the storyline. You need to be going north and east of Arris Dome to Proto Dome and the Derelict Factory first.

[205] How do I walk around Spekkio’s room correctly?

Take your time. Clockwise is left, if you weren’t 100%. Start at the door and walk (don’t run – it’s easier to mess up if you run) THREE times around. No more, no less. It may help to use just the four directions (up, down, left, right) instead of diagonals on the D-Pad.

[206] Should I use the bucket when I reach The End of Time?

The bucket at The End of Time leads to the final boss – no matter where you are in the storyline. If you feel you’re up to the challenge, by all means feel free to go. Just save before hand.

[207] How do I open those sealed chests?

Throughout the game you’ll come across a number of chests and doors that are sealed by some magical force. Later in the story you will receive an item that lets you open them. This is part of the storyline and cannot be missed.

[208] How do you ‘upgrade’ the sealed chests?

There are seven sealed chests in the game that can be ‘upgraded’ to gain better items. Here’s how you do it. First, go to the Middle Ages and find the chest (read further for chest location). Touch it and you will be offered the item inside. REFUSE, and jump to the Present and find that chest. You will be given a message saying that your item has been upgraded.

If you’re confused on which ones can be upgraded – if you’re asked if you want the item or not, it can be upgraded. If it can’t, you’ll simply receive the item.

[209] Where are all the sealed chests?

Here are the sealed chests that can be upgraded:

Truce Inn (Middle Ages, Present)
Guardia Castle (Middle Ages, Present)
Porre Mayor’s Manor (Middle Ages, Present)
Northern Ruins (Middle Ages, Present)

Here are the other sealed chests that you can find:

Guardia Forest (Present)
Magic Cavern (Middle Ages)
Heckran’s Cave (Present)
Forest Ruins (Present) – you have a choice between two items

Here are doors that you have to open to further the storyline:

Zeal Palace (Antiquity)
Keeper's Dome (Future)

Here are doors that you can now open:

Bangor Dome (Future)
Trann Dome (Future)
Arris Dome (Future)

[209] Where can I find these missing bestiary entries?

Here are some enemies that people seem to have trouble finding.

#14 – Cyrus (Northern Ruins, Present, before completing the sidequest to repair them)
#49 – Fallen + Soul (Northern Ruins, Middle Ages, fight a battle with Fallen and Soul and refrain from killing them until they combine into one enemy)
#135 – Wonder Rock (Dimensional Vortex, Lost Sanctum, appears randomly in these dungeons)
#195 – Magus (choose to fight Magus in Antiquity)*

[210] Is there any way I can get Magus in the bestiary but still recruit him?

Tonberry2000 came up with a way to fight this battle but not to miss out on Magus. Save your game before you fight him. Defeat him and then immediately beat the game (do not save). You will be shown one of the many different endings and will get a clear game save. You then will be able to reload from your last save and recruit Magus.

RevenantThings
9 years ago#4
[211] Where can I find these missing items?

The majority of new items can be found in The Dimensional Vortex and The Lost Sanctum. However, there are a number of items that can only be found (randomly, it seems) in the Arena of Ages. The Mirrors and Nu Arcana (items #222-227, I believe) can be won in the various tiers.

[212] What is the password for ____?

There are multiple times in the game when you are forced to enter a password to operate some machinery or advance the storyline. Here are those times.

Arris Dome (Future) – after catching the rat, Press L+R+A on the right console
Derelict Factory (Future) – two instances; to operate the crane, use X-A first, then B-B second. Then, to access the main control room, the password is X-A-B-Y
Lucca’s Dream (Present) – when the machine starts up, touch it and input the password, L-A-R-A
Dimensional Vortex (Future) – the password is B-A-L-L

[213] Where is the Wonder Rock/lumicite?

The Wonder Rock can be found in any of the new dungeons and randomly appears. You have to defeat/Charm it to obtain the lumicite. As far as this writing, there is no sure way to get the Wonder Rock to spawn – so just keep searching.

Chrono Series Questions

[301] Will there be a new Chrono game?

We don’t know. There are facts that support the idea of furthering the Chrono franchise (even if it’s just remaking/porting Chrono Cross), but nothing is concrete until SE says something. We’ll just have to let SE know that the Chrono franchise still has its fans (ie, buying the game, writing to the company, etc.).

[302] Does this game tie up any loose ends from Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross?

Yes. But it also creates some new ones. Dalton makes mention of raising an army in Porre, the new final boss is a looking to be like an early version of the Dream Devourer, the Lost Sanctum may be related to Dinopolis/the reptite future, etc.

There is some NPC dialogue throughout and many name changes that bridge the large gap between the two Chrono games.

[303] Is Magus now officially Guile?

This is a difficult question. As most of you know, Guile was originally supposed to be Magus anyway. The idea was scrapped due to time issues with development. Now, it appears that they are changing their minds again and making Magus an amnesiac after his final run in with Schala – which would explain his role (or lackthereof) in Chrono Cross. However, this is not concrete and we won’t know anything until another game surfaces or the Ultimania comes out.

[304] What happened to Dalton?

Dalton disappears in his final fight aboard the Epoch and winds up fighting Crono again in The Dimensional Vortex – after losing again, he promises to return to Guardia with an army from Porre to exact revenge. This was a theory from many fans and seems to support Dalton being the one (or at least taking part in) attacking Guardia and stealing the Masamune.

[305] Can we save Schala?

No. She is part of the new final boss and actually has some important dialogue for Magus regarding her doom. Saving Schala would probably render Chrono Cross pointless. As I’m sure many of you would be alright with it, it’s apparent that Chrono Cross is still on the minds of SE and is not being forgotten.

[306] Where can I go to learn more about the Chrono series?

The Chrono Compendium has a variety of resources for anything related to the Chrono series.

[307] Why did spell ‘Crono’ wrong again?

Crono and Chrono are variations of the name – originally it was translated as ‘Crono’ due to space limits in the SNES version. Keeping it the same is nothing more than keeping Terra and Sabin in FFVI as opposed to Tina and Mash – simply keeping up with tradition.

RevenantThings
9 years ago#5
General Questions

[401] How long until a full FAQ is put up?

FAQs are already pouring in, so check often for new updates and information. However, you have a number of resources at your disposal already if you are impatient.

-SNES/PS1 FAQs – they cover the same game (minus the new content, though there are already FAQs of these), only some name changes should hinder you here

[402] When will there be a strategy guide?

It looks like neither Square Enix nor Nintendo will be releasing a strategy guide (in English) for this game.

[403] Is this game worth my purchase?

It depends. Chrono Trigger is worth at least one playthrough for all gamers. Read some reviews about the new content to see if it warrants a new purchase if you’ve played it before.

[404] When will the game be released in EU?

February 6, 2009

Dead Horses

[501] Why is my game frozen?

Because you’re pirating the game. Look at where you got the game or search Google for answers to your problem – keep them off the board.

[502] Why does Marle have six fingers and/or why is she casting Fire?

Marle is not casting Fire. Crono, Frog and herself are casting Frost Arc (Arc Impulse), a triple tech that may look like she’s casting Fire. She has six fingers…well, that’s just an artist error. Keep in mind that it’s simply cover art and not meant to be cannon.

[503] Is ____ a time paradox?

No. This is a video game. Let it die.

[504] Is there any way to get Frog to turn back into Glenn.

No, not through the normal course of the game. In some endings, however, he will be transformed back into Glenn.

[505] Why do the characters look like Dragonball Z?

Because they have the same character designer, Akira Toriyama (who also does the Dragon Quest games).

[506] Why did they get rid of Frog’s accent?

Frog never had the accent, technically. He still speaks in a sort of ‘older’ English, as do the rest of the people in the Middle Ages.

---
What troubled sleep have you known, to speak of my dreams? No matter how sweet, a dream left unrealized must fade into day - Wiegraf

FINISHED

RevenantThings
9 years ago#6
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

User Info: KFCrispy

KFCrispy
9 years ago#7
might want to detail the Wondershot mechanics or at least reference the SNES faqs for it.
suikosource.com - Your Source for Suikoden

User Info: Zeality

Zeality
9 years ago#8
Requested.
Play Chrono Trigger: Prophet's Guile, a ROM hack about Magus!
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Chrono_Trigger:_Prophet's_Guile.html

User Info: OboeDude

OboeDude
9 years ago#9
Requested. Thanks for taking your time to do this.
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this as your signature.
www.immortalbrotherhood.com [-iB]

User Info: Haiiro87

Haiiro87
9 years ago#10
Also requested. Very nice =)
  1. Boards
  2. Chrono Trigger
  3. Frequently Asked Questions - Please Read Before Posting (12/12/08)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.