• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. iOS (iPhone/iPad)
  3. Feeling weirdly impressed with Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls

User Info: GradyHoover

GradyHoover
2 months ago#1
Downsides:
  • You have to sub to Apple Arcade to get it.
  • It's kind of grind-y at times when you want to level a given character.
  • The touchscreen controls are pretty awkward.
  • You wind up having to go through FIVE stages with each background type, which can feel repetitive.

Upsides:
  • It's easy to sync up a bluetooth controller, and it plays pretty damn well with one.
  • There's a pretty good variety of characters available, and they all genuinely play in significantly different ways.
  • No sign of microtransactions!
  • I'm an admitted Castlevania nerd, so I'm not an unbiased party. But I love that we're back in the pre-Lords of Shadow timeline for the first time since 2009, and we get to see all these different Castlevania protagonists from different eras interact. The characters are written well, and this is now the latest point in the classic timeline... I am so here for that.
  • Original character sprites and graphics?! In a Castlevania sidescroller?! If you've played any of the games since SotN, you know how many of them reused assets, so this is cause for celebration.
  • New remixes of classic Castlveania tunes throughout? YES PLEASE>

Maybe I'm just excited because of how Mega Man X DiVE let me down. I wanted that game to let us see all these different MegaMan eras interacting, but alas, the story is of THAT game some weird meta-thing where you play as a game player who gets pulled into a server database where you have to correct the data from MegaMan games. So all those playable characters? They don't even talk. They're just data, and that was unbelievably lame.

By comparison, Castlevania has an actual storyline where exactly that happens. Better yet, it's not nearly as grindy as X DiVE is. (X DiVE isn't really all that bad, though. I don't mean to trash on it too much.)
"There's somethin' wrong with our worm, Earl."

User Info: R_Fated_Circle

R_Fated_Circle
2 months ago#2
you deserve better
The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

User Info: SONGUNDAM

SONGUNDAM
1 month ago#3
Gacha games are the trash of the earth.
You're already dead.

User Info: GradyHoover

GradyHoover
1 month ago#4
SONGUNDAM posted...
Gacha games are the trash of the earth.

Ehhh, the "gacha" in Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls is just rolling for different weapons and armor, none of which actually change the appearance of your characters. They just provide stat bonuses. And although you must expend in-game currency to roll for these weapons and armors, there's no way to spend real money to roll more. You cannot buy in-game currency with real-world money. In fact, nothing in the game costs real money. The game is 100% "free."*

So I can't complain. It's not like they're withholding beloved characters or unique cut scenes or something, which is how most gachas work. And it's not like they're trying to tempt you to spend money on additional rolls, which is how most gachas work. They may be encouraging you to try and get more in-game currency by completing missions and quests, but that's not really an inconvenience, either.

*except you need an Apple Arcade subscription to play it, so it's not really free.

"There's somethin' wrong with our worm, Earl."

User Info: Nandeyanen

Nandeyanen
4 weeks ago#5
I played it a while back during the beta and thought it was a great game.
Sucks that its an equipment gacha and not character because those are the types of games I dont whale for.
  1. Boards
  2. iOS (iPhone/iPad)
  3. Feeling weirdly impressed with Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A