• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. iOS (iPhone/iPad)
  3. Is Android Better than IOS?

User Info: gideongarner100

gideongarner100
4 weeks ago#1
Is Android Better than IOS?

Is Android really that much better than IOS and apple at basically everything?

User Info: ab2c4

ab2c4
4 weeks ago#2
I have used both a lot and I definitely feel Android is the much better OS. Not that iOS is bad, and it’s a nice change of pace when I’m feeling bored with Android, but I feel Android is definitely the better OS.
(message deleted)

User Info: TLR_

TLR_
4 weeks ago#4
I mean, it really depends on what a given user prioritizes and what they use it for.

While I did mainly use iOS back in the iPhone 7 days... I don't main iOS anymore. My iPhone X and iPad Pro are just there as secondary hardware that I play around with from time to time... mostly because I never really stopped being burned by #32bitgate. Things actually got worse on that end. While many people are already aware of paid content being ripped out of download history because of the Infinity Blade trilogy, I noticed it's even worse than I thought. I keep an iPhone 4S around just for Rolando 2 and other 32bit games, and when I upgraded from a 8GB to a 32GB I found that Akane the Kunoichi and many others were actually ripped out of my purchase history. Games get ripped from the Google Play Store too, but to a much, much lesser extent. If I wanna put some 32bit game like Soulcalibur or Jet Set Radio on a new phone, I can just do it from my purchase history... and when games like Chu Chu Rocket, Gods of Egypt, The Dark Knight Rises or Mass Effect Infiltrator gets ripped out of my purchase history on Android, I can just refer back to my full APK+DATA backup (which I can install without any kind of root/jailbreak). Since so many games from the anti-gacha era are no longer available, I go with the platform that lets me keep these.

Even outside of past software, the relaxed rules across the board means I can just go download one of Robert Broglia's terrific emulators from the Play Store (or RetroArch for those who prefer that)... I'm seeing a trend of betas coming to Droid first, and if I take advantage of other stores I just can. So when Bloo Kid 2 becomes a Samsung Store exclusive, I can get it there... I can just tap into the Amazon AppStore's beyond awesome "Actually Free" offers whenever I want, I can easily get to PSO2es and it's English translation without root/jailbreak hoops, and while the US audiences have long since been torn away from Tales of the Rays, a quick trip to a xapk site gets me the most up to date JP version.

And when it comes to tablets, both my iPad Pro and my Galaxy Tab S7+ have their fair share of apps that don't support rotation... but only Android allows me to use something like CrapeMyrtle's "Rotation Control" to force landscape without root/jailbreak... and the amount of apps that output properly from my iPad Pro to a 16:9 monitor is just embarrassing, whereas it's rare to find any app on my Galaxy Tab that doesn't properly utilize the native aspect ratio of an external monitor. Also on the subject of tablets, my Tab S7+ can just get Krita... that's huge for me.

Filesystem access is a seemingly small, but major thing for me too. Some may notice that even the best of the best IDEs on iOS (Pythonista, Continuous, etc) are mind-blowingly limited compared to the ones on Android... a lot due to just how sandboxed filesystem access is. It's gotten better than the days of having to drop files via IP addresses in browsers or iFunBox, but it's just so much more direct, simple and traditional to do anything on Android that requires unrestricted filesystem access.

All this control, all this software freedom... being able to buy things and know I have plenty fallbacks if they're taken out of my purchase history, being able to customize basically anything... having a settings suite that allows me to strong-arm my experience into being the way I want... split screen apps/pop-out apps... all that keeps me coming back to Android. Also the Note 20 Ultra, Tab S7+ and Active Watch 2 are just a glorious combo. I'm not here to convert anyone, or hurt the feelings of anyone who loves iOS... an iPhone enthusiast may have reasons just as valid, just as in-depth as mine for why they like iOS more than Android.
My Game Collection/Backlog (Incomplete!): https://howlongtobeat.com/user?n=BishopTakesKing
(message deleted)

User Info: member1982

member1982
4 weeks ago#6
i never owned an android phone so no idea, won't bother commenting.
and i won't bother to share the negatives of an ancient android tablet experiences haha.

iOS does what i want, and all the stuff i do do on it, and any quirks of iTunes, i just learn to deal with it and i like "Closed Source" / "Proprietary" it is way better than open source, not saying Android is bad here there are always exceptions, so definately i am opposite to most regulars who comments on this board.

If ever i felt i wanted to go with Android and give up my iMessage haha. sure.
Corsair 275R Carbide-32GB LPX 3600-Core i5 9400F-MSI RTX2070-GigabyteZ390UD-Intel 760p 500GB-NoctuaNFA14x2-RGB
iMac 5K Core i5 3.5GHz M295X 256GB SSD 24GB RAM.

ab2c4
4 weeks ago#7
member1982 posted...
i never owned an android phone so no idea, won't bother commenting.
and i won't bother to share the negatives of an ancient android tablet experiences haha.

iOS does what i want, and all the stuff i do do on it, and any quirks of iTunes, i just learn to deal with it and i like "Closed Source" / "Proprietary" it is way better than open source, not saying Android is bad here there are always exceptions, so definately i am opposite to most regulars who comments on this board.

If ever i felt i wanted to go with Android and give up my iMessage haha. sure.

I have seen many people over the years say they would never want to give up iMessage. Why? I ask this because I have used several Android and iPhones over the years and personally I can't see any difference between iMessage and every other texting app out there on Android.

User Info: TLR_

TLR_
4 weeks ago#8
ab2c4 posted...
I have seen many people over the years say they would never want to give up iMessage. Why? I ask this because I have used several Android and iPhones over the years and personally I can't see any difference between iMessage and every other texting app out there on Android.
I also have used several Android and iPhones over the years... and also never saw anything that made iMessage necessarily more special than any other messenger... but from the sounds of things it's something I'd only get if I was exclusively invested in Apple's ecosystem and had a circle of mostly Apple people, and that's simply not the case. My wife uses android, my kids use droid... dad, his brothers, their kids, my grandparents, great uncles/aunts, all my inlaws, and my close friends are all droid people too. I gotta reach out to some distant cousins and nieces/nephews before I see some iPhones unless I just start randomly counting co-workers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUqHX4uYs_k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm1PQbfZyNI

I think it's one of those things like TikTok where I just wasn't born in the right time to *get* it. If I was still in high school... or wasn't already married with kids, perhaps other students or possibly potential partners might give me blue bubble pressure. But I was already out of high school before iPhone was even a thing, and I can't really just go out and bar hop anymore with an eleven and five year old at home.
My Game Collection/Backlog (Incomplete!): https://howlongtobeat.com/user?n=BishopTakesKing
(edited 4 weeks ago)

ab2c4
4 weeks ago#9
TLR_ posted...
I also have used several Android and iPhones over the years... and also never saw anything that made iMessage necessarily more special than any other messenger... but from the sounds of things it's something I'd only get if I was exclusively invested in Apple's ecosystem and had a circle of mostly Apple people, and that's simply not the case. My wife uses android, my kids use droid... dad, his brothers, their kids, my grandparents, great uncles/aunts, all my inlaws, and my close friends are all droid people too. I gotta reach out to some distant cousins and nieces/nephews before I see some iPhones unless I just start randomly counting co-workers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUqHX4uYs_k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm1PQbfZyNI

I think it's one of those things like TikTok where I just wasn't born in the right time to *get* it. If I was still in high school... or wasn't already married with kids, perhaps other students or possibly potential partners might give me blue bubble pressure. But I was already out of high school before iPhone was even a thing, and I can't really just go out and bar hop anymore with an eleven and five year old at home.

I watched the video. I guess I could "see it" if you use all Apple products for everything (such as my wife, she is literally Apple everything). For me, eh, I have an iphone right now and an apple watch (I still don't see what is great about the watch but to each their own), but I also use Windows and a Chromebook. If anything, I use more Google apps on my iphone than Apple apps and I am signed into all of them with my gmail account so I can switch back and forth between Android and iPhones whenever I want and never lose anything.

User Info: member1982

member1982
4 weeks ago#10
TLR_ posted...
but from the sounds of things it's something I'd only get if I was exclusively invested in Apple's ecosystem and had a circle of mostly Apple people, and that's simply not the case.

yeah something like this, but i still uses Signal / Whatsapp / teams as well haha. Im slowly getting around the fact that it is basically like anything else, click on messages is no different to clicking on signal. ANd doing facetiime with all the special effects, well i guess i have to give up that, but really no biggie.

i always wanted to try macos fulltime and i did from 2014-2021, but nowadays since Apple refuses to support my iMac 5K late 14 with MacOS12, i am using more of my windows build and do more gaming on there haha, and supplement it with an iPad Pro M1 / iPhone with iMessage. Occasionally using the iMac... (not the otherway around with windows less and iMac more). Plus i am doing some video encoding/editing stuff, the iMac just doesn't cut it due to thermal issues, i guess Apple putting in an 85W CPU in the iMac with poor cooling haha.
Corsair 275R Carbide-32GB LPX 3600-Core i5 9400F-MSI RTX2070-GigabyteZ390UD-Intel 760p 500GB-NoctuaNFA14x2-RGB
iMac 5K Core i5 3.5GHz M295X 256GB SSD 24GB RAM.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. iOS (iPhone/iPad)
  3. Is Android Better than IOS?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A