• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. iOS (iPhone/iPad)
  3. iPad Pro or MacBook for college?

User Info: goldenboy1867

goldenboy1867
2 months ago#1
Im trying to find a gift for my brother for his birthday and I just can’t decide what to get him.

He’s in college studying to become a accountant and he uses a old laptop that’s slow, so I want to get something better for him. But I’m not sure if I should get him the new iPad Pro 2021 with the magic keyboard or the MacBook Air 2020, or even a $1000 laptop from another brand. The price isn’t a concern as long as it’ll last him years to come.

He would just need it for college, note taking, creating power points, opening multiple tasks, etc. The MacBook or a laptop would be good for that, but I also feel like the iPad will be good for that.

My question is, is a ipad really a good main device to use in college to do most of the work? Or he’s better off with a MacBook? Or a HP/Dell/Microsoft laptop?

He has a iPhone and says that he can do most of his work on there, but since it’s small, he uses the laptop, he only uses the iPhone whenever the laptop is giving him problems.
Are you saying I can run from a bullet?

User Info: ArabianPenguins

ArabianPenguins
2 months ago#2
If you said he can mostly do everything even on his iPhone, then the iPad with the magic keyboard sounds like a great option. However, (I know price isn’t an issue) if it adds up to the same price, I would go with the MBA since it’s more capable than the iPad Pro. If anything, you can buy one of them and return it if it doesn’t fit his needs.
Taylor Swift is my soul mate <3.
Switch Friend Code: 4220-7375-8139, Pokemon Shield In-Game Name: Elsa https://tinyurl.com/y7pcbma6

User Info: goldenboy1867

goldenboy1867
2 months ago#3
ArabianPenguins posted...
If you said he can mostly do everything even on his iPhone, then the iPad with the magic keyboard sounds like a great option. However, (I know price isn’t an issue) if it adds up to the same price, I would go with the MBA since it’s more capable than the iPad Pro. If anything, you can buy one of them and return it if it doesn’t fit his needs.

With the educational student discounts, the iPad comes out at $750 plus $270 with the magic keyboard, so the difference would only be $120 from the MacBook Air ( educational discount for the MacBook is at $899 )

But I was also thinking that the iPad would be more of a use to him outside of school. Like watching YouTube, FaceTiming, using the web browser, etc.

So yea I’ll go with the iPad Pro, all he uses for school is stuff like Microsoft word, excel, PowerPoint, etc. So I don’t think he’ll have any problems with the iPad.

Thanks
Are you saying I can run from a bullet?
  1. Boards
  2. iOS (iPhone/iPad)
  3. iPad Pro or MacBook for college?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A