• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. iOS (iPhone/iPad)
  3. Considering upgrading to a new phone, and want honest opinions.

User Info: ShutterBug06

ShutterBug06
1 month ago#1
Hey y’all. So I just got an offer from Verizon to get $200 off the iPhone 11 Pro Max. I currently have an 8 plus, which I’ve had for about two years now but I’ve been wanting t upgrade for a while. I know the 12 is coming out soon, which I was planning on getting, until they just gave me this offer. I’ve got $50 in device dollars, and my current phone is worth $145 in trade in, and I’ll put down around $400 as well towards the cost of the new phone, to help pay more of it off upfront.

What I’m trying to decide is if the 5G will actually make that much of a difference, especially where I’m at. The main appealing factors of the 12 are the possible navy blue color, and the 5G along with the design, but like I said I’m not sure how much of a difference 5G will make. I’ve also heard the 11 Pro Max has amazing battery life, which is very important to me.

I just want honest opinions here, as this seems like a good deal and would only increase my bill per month around $10-$$15, as I’ve had my eye on this phone for a while now but had ruled it out until I got this offer. Thanks y’all!

User Info: Microcastle

Microcastle
1 month ago#2
  • It's so close to the 12 launch that you may as well wait.
  • Rumor has it there will be four iPhone 12 models at varying price and size points -- all of which will have noticeably better battery life than your 8 Plus.
  • When the 12 launches, the prior generations all see a price drop, with some models being added to Apple's refurbished store after a while (even cheaper), although these models obviously don't have 5G.
  • You seem to keep your iPhone for a few years. While 5G isn't a Big Deal in the US right now, investing in a 5G compatible device is a form of futureproofing, as the coverage and infrastructure will only improve with time.
:o)
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: ShutterBug06

ShutterBug06
1 month ago#3
Microcastle posted...
* It's so close to the 12 launch that you may as well wait.
* Rumor has it there will be four iPhone 12 models at varying price and size points -- all of which will have noticeably better battery life than your 8 Plus.
* When the 12 launches, the prior generations all see a price drop, with some models being added to Apple's refurbished store after a while (even cheaper), although these models obviously don't have 5G.
* You seem to keep your iPhone for a few years. While 5G isn't a Big Deal in the US right now, investing in a 5G compatible device is a form of futureproofing, as the coverage and infrastructure will only improve with time.

I get what you’re saying completely, but I’ve only had my 8 Plus two years actually. I’m not really interested in either of the normal 12 models, mainly just the Pro Max. When the 11 first cake out, I wasn’t even interested in it because the screen resolution isn’t as good as the 8 Plus. One thing I’ve read is that apparently the battery is going to be smaller even in the Pro Max, so I’m not quite sure how I feel about that.

I’m honestly torn, as in the past I’ve always upgraded a few months before the new ones have come out.
Even if you're dead set on the 11 Pro Max, why not just wait until the 12s are released and enjoy the price drop the 11s will have?

5G is meaningless so I wouldn't even factor that into your decision. I don't have an iPhone, but I get around 300 down on my LTE network.
When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps. - Confucius
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Microcastle

Microcastle
1 month ago#5
ShutterBug06 posted...
One thing I’ve read is that apparently the battery is going to be smaller even in the Pro Max, so I’m not quite sure how I feel about that.

I’m honestly torn, as in the past I’ve always upgraded a few months before the new ones have come out
Even if the battery ends up being smaller, actual battery life probably won’t be impacted much. There seems to be a tick/tock process in Apple’s designs where batteries shrink as software optimizations improve and achieve the same performance.

Why upgrade just before devices come out? That tends to be a seller’s market. Just after new devices premiere tends to be the buyer’s for reasons stated above

:o)

User Info: BosSBaer

BosSBaer
1 month ago#6
How long is your offer valid until? I’d wait a week or two and see if phones get cheaper with “back to school” and the release of the12’s, I am sorta in the same boat
Libra

User Info: The Waynos Bum

The Waynos Bum
1 month ago#7
I’m in the same boat here. I’m on a 6S and was told I can trade in for an 11max for $100~

I know the 12 is a short time away and have no prop waiting to get it, or an even lower price for the 11.

My biggest worries are:

1) Will The 11 have a shorter softwear-shelflife than the 12. I upgraded from a 4 right when software updates we’re coming to a close. And I feel the 6S is now being phased out

2) If I wait too long for a 12 release/11 price drop, will my 6S trade-in value also drop?

Not sure how to weigh these pros and cons right now. Thanks for any support!
<code>Canya a l'Europa del capital!</code>
tu me montre ta poitrine

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
1 month ago#8
What current phone do you have? Do you see any real performance gains from getting an 11 Pro Max compared to your current phone? If the performance upgrade is ~10-15% better than your current device-- I would just wait for the 12.

Then again, I have no clue what your motive is for wanting the 11 Pro Max. If it's that much of a dilemma then I would flip a coin and leave it to fate.
I may look calm, but in my head, I've just killed you three times.

User Info: TLR_

TLR_
1 month ago#9
Personally, I'd wait for the 12.

It's the first really big leap forward in three years... for reasons much, much more important than 5G. If renders are correct, Apple's about to push something that actually has a respectable screen-to-body ratio, a callback to the iPhone 4 design language (which is better than everything after and I'll fight anyone who disagrees)... and with the addition of 120... excuse me... ProMotion™ that's gonna be huge. While Note 20 Ultra will more than likely be my main, I've no doubt that more iOS apps/games will get support for 120Hz within the first couple months than the entirety of the three-ish years Android's had 120Hz phones.
I never realized how much battered wife syndrome Sonic fans have until I heard them say "It's surprising how well Sonic Adventure 2 aged!"
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: member1982

member1982
1 month ago#10
TLR_ posted...
and with the addition of 120... excuse me... ProMotion™ that's gonna be huge.

Latest rumor state this is not going to happen as Apple couldn't move to a new display tech, i hope the "display tech analyst" is wrong.

TLR_ posted...
If renders are correct, Apple's about to push something that actually has a respectable screen-to-body ratio,

Notch is still there.

Corsair 275R Carbide-16GB LPX 3600-Core i5 9400F-MSI GTX2070-GigabyteZ390UD-Intel 760p 500GB-NoctuaNFA14x2-RGB
iMac 5K Core i5 3.5GHz M295X 256GB SSD 24GB RAM.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. iOS (iPhone/iPad)
  3. Considering upgrading to a new phone, and want honest opinions.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A