• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. iOS (iPhone/iPad)
  3. Is It Possible to Load Songs...

User Info: JonTripz

JonTripz
2 months ago#11
I hear that. I'm sure there are many iPod Classics that are fine for several more years for sale on places like eBay. Just gotta shop smart as with any online purchases, really. Sounds like it could be better to have a separate device for music to free your phone up for other things. Consider getting a new dedicated music player down the line, if this remains the case years from now. There are other quality options besides iPods. Could also get one of those battery cases or an external power bank. I've never really needed either but they seem pretty useful.

I have about 10,000 songs on my XS Max and I know what you mean. Even with decent tagging, it can be a lot to try and navigate your music library. I have it organized by playlists. Each artist gets their own playlist so this can help me pinpoint a specific song or album. It's been so long, I forgot what it was like with my iPod Classic. But back then I still had the same setup so I would refer to playlists first. Now with my improved tagging, I can get better use from artist and album category searches, for example. Still mainly just use playlists though.
--
-

User Info: zebatov

zebatov
2 months ago#12
So with the Classic, I search by genre. It then lists music by artist in that genre. Then it lists their albums (if more than one) then songs. It’s incredibly handy this way because I don’t like to switch genres usually. So all I have to do is press back (top button) one or two times, scroll through a couple artists and hit play. I find it hard to do this with the iPhone X. I don’t know how to shuffle songs, so they all play in order under “Songs”. If I select “Genre”, it brings up giant tiles that are way too hard to scroll through with all the music I have.

I don’t understand what Apple was thinking here. It was hard enough for me to want to buy one (I had WP from the 7 to the 10) and they were the best phones I’ve ever had. Way ahead of their time. I bought an Android after the WP10, and each update it got created a new problem with it, to the point it didn’t work anymore. Now I have this iPhone causing me grief (not just the music - I have another thread about an update screwing it up) and I don’t have another option for a phone because MS gave up.
C was right.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: member1982

member1982
2 months ago#13
Just add Genres to your Library via the Edit button, then it shows a bunch of artists and a button says shuffle.
You can use Siri as well to play and shuffle genres, things only ever get faster and easier.

The only issues i really don't like is the album name and album name plus that toggle called compilation. I have had iTunes since the iPhone 3G, and before that i had a iPod Classic. The Compilation setting kept on changing, and with one update it would split some of my songs and those songs are no longer part of an Album, so i went into my iTunes library and changed most of it, now? apparently they changed it several years back, and some songs that should be part of an album or compilation are no longer in those albums or complications haha. oh well i have to go into my library and reorganise it a bit. No telling when they will change it back.
Corsair 275R Carbide-16GB LPX 3600-Core i5 9400F-MSI GTX2070-GigabyteZ390UD-Intel 760p 500GB-NoctuaNFA14x2-RGB
iMac 5K Core i5 3.5GHz M295X 256GB SSD 24GB RAM.
(edited 2 months ago)

JonTripz
2 months ago#14
@zebatov
I see what you're saying. On my XS Max, when I select to search by genre and then select a genre - it displays albums within that genre instead of showing artists first. This is what you're referring to right? I see how this could be an annoying change. With the music app on your iPhone, you can select "Edit" at the top right to add different search options to your list. You can have both genres and artists available. This way you can search by artists from the get go. Of course, this would include all artists on your iPhone from every genre. It is organized alphabetically, so it's pretty easy and straightforward. member1962 mentioned the use of that edit button.

Check this, you can select "Sort" at the top right corner from within one of the search parameters. For example, you can choose Songs or Albums and then select to organize by title or artists. This is very useful to have everything from one artists grouped together, whether it's by songs or albums. This is essentially what you were doing on your iPod Classic, no? But now, it's all available on one page and you don't have to back out and switch artists, see?

I just learned I can organize by recently added. Which I had no idea about lol. Pretty happy because that recently added list you see at the main page of the music app moves along as you continue to add stuff. Now I know I can see the extended version, so to speak. This is something I had a problem with. Very, very nice!

You can shuffle via the top right shuffle button. You can also shuffle songs within an album via the same method. Furthermore, you can adjust the shuffle results or the order of what's playing in general by tapping or dragging up the track name at the bottom (to the left of the play and next icon) and then using the little horizontal lines on the right to re-order the list of playback. This can also be accessed from the general playback screen by tapping the bottom right icon - horizontal lines with a dot next to each. I think you can achieve the same or even better usability from the music app within your phone using these methods. Of course, this all works best the better your library is tagged. I think interacting with a touch screen versus the physical (albeit touch sensitive) scroll wheel is also a big improvement. Additionally, you see a lot more on these larger screens at once. Siri can also be used to spice things up, as member1962 also mentioned. I don't really use Siri though.

@member1982
Here's what works very well for compilation albums. I place the respective artists name in each "artist" field, in the "album artist" field I type "Various Artists" for all tracks within the same compilation. The "album" field gets the same album name for all tracks, of course. Then I type the track name with any featured artists within the "title" field. Most importantly, you have to check or enable the compilation tag option so that iTunes knows these are all together even though they have different "artist" tags. This is an excellent method for me as I'm able to search by either album name and everything will show together like any other regular album AND I'm also able to search by artists and find just that one track from an artist on the compilation, for example. Additionally, I can even search for all tracks with the "Various Artists" tag to see all compilations. This isn't necessary for iTunes since it does have a search parameter for compilations which works perfectly with this proper tagging. As a side note, in my collection, the file name is always identical to the "title" field, ie. track name. Unfortunately, when you make all these tag changes within iTunes, you still can not change the actual file name. So I just do all my tag editing with a program called Media Rage. Having identical track and file names is awesome for general search purposes - just on your computer or through whatever program you choose. It's incredibly useful.
--
-

member1982
2 months ago#15
i prefer to not use that compilation for normal albums, but the issue i guess is just album artist and artist differences and remove the damn compilation tags.

not sure why they bothered changing it, i did put some as VA because they are actually VA in my catalogue. now looking at the Music app, i can see some songs splitting and not showing up under the album, these are not compilation albums, like Ministry of Sounds albums.

Album Artist = VA, Artist is the actual Artist. and sometimes the "Album Artist" can be the same as the Artist! haha.
Corsair 275R Carbide-16GB LPX 3600-Core i5 9400F-MSI GTX2070-GigabyteZ390UD-Intel 760p 500GB-NoctuaNFA14x2-RGB

JonTripz
2 months ago#16
I'm gonna be honest, I don't understand what you're getting at in your posts lol >_< It seems kind of scatter brained.

Tagging your tracks as I described will prevent any issues with how your albums are showing up. You should only be using this method for a complete body of work (album, mixtape, whatever) that has tracks from various artists. A compilation is one good example. But I also use these tags for an album that has just one or two tracks from another artist but the rest are from the same artist. Call it "compilation" tags or not, it's just a way to accurately group a body of work together that has different artists within the "artist" tags - ie. at least one track on the album has a different artist as the main performer, from the rest of the tracks. This is how you make sure all are still grouped together while remaining accurate with the tags.

I don't know why else you would enable the compilation tag. I don't remember when or if this was changed but it must've been a long time ago. I've been collecting music since the 4gb iPod nano days lol.
--
-

member1982
2 months ago#17
well it is too complicated, i do understand what you are talking about, as i use to use the same tricks as well, i have been using iTunes since iPod Mini 4GB, mostly using CD rips, which tags it fine.
one day not sure songs become scattered, so i added the compilation tag and found it worked, and now, that has changed again it appears. I'll just remove things and add things i guess. The Album Artist and Artist tags also had some issues.
Plus the issue could have been "fixed", and it was only ever there for a few weeks. I have never missed an update to latest iTunes and Music apps.

EDIT: i just saw one album that i cd ripped in 2018, it immediately added in as a compilation (album is not a compilation only one artist), and has composer, but no album artist... this might be causing some issues... i'll have to double check it.

I don't see Compilation in Music app on mac os, it seems to be under Artists.

Now I am going to remove VA, and just tick Compilation.. hopefully they won't change anything haha. all these songs not grouping together will be annoying.
(edited 2 months ago)

member1982
2 months ago#18
I just put an album as compilation and removed artist as VA.
and that song showed up under artists breakdown..... wow. this is kinda annoying.

JonTripz
2 months ago#19
I’m sorry, I just don’t understand what you’re talking about in your last posts. They’re confusing. Though in post #15 you said

“Album Artist = VA, Artist is the actual Artist. and sometimes the "Album Artist" can be the same as the Artist! haha.”

This is not something I ever do. In my library, the “album artist” tag is always left empty unless I use a compilation tag for that album. Either way you shouldn’t need to put anything in this field. What’s important is that all tracks have the compilation tag applied and that they all have the same exact album title tag. That’s it. It’s very simple and straight forward. I have no idea what you’re doing at this point.

It sounds like your library’s metadata is not on point. I’ve never used this music app, just iTunes as my computer is old and I can not upgrade the OS anymore. And I don’t use iTunes to edit metadata. It can get the job done... for most things (not the actual file name as I mentioned before). But I suggest you use a different program for editing tags.

When it comes to organizing a library, you have to have uniformity if you expect everything to behave that way. For example, there are people who instead use the “artist” tag for the main track artist AND all featured artists. Then they use the “album artist” tag for the same single main artist of the album. This way, there’s no featured artist info in any track title tags, just the name of the track. For their entire collection. I’ve never done this and I would imagine that it splits the tracks up because each artist tag for tracks within the same album have different info (varying features and such). This is when that compilation tag comes in handy. Though in this case, since they also have the same artist info in “album artist” tags they might be able to group things together like that. The point is, that there’s uniformity. They stick to one system across thousands and thousands of tracks.... this is what makes things work.

iTunes is just like any other program that “sees” metadata. It’s not causing problems with tags. A sloppy inconsistent tagging system is what causes problems. You could (and should) edit metadata with a third party app. Then you could transfer your music to your device without using iTunes, for example, and the device will still “see” the tags as you created them. So it’s a matter of implementing a uniform and organized system if you expect it to behave that way. I hope I helped a little.
--
-
(edited 2 months ago)

member1982
2 months ago#20
Thanks for the detailed responses. which aligns with my understandings.
  1. Boards
  2. iOS (iPhone/iPad)
  3. Is It Possible to Load Songs...
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A