• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
  3. Some info I recall about the removed content

User Info: Adrastia

Adrastia
3 years ago#1
I'm just putting this here in case anyone finds it helpful. It's not anything super informative. But I thought it might be of interest to someone. I do not work for NISA and I am not a reviewer who received a review copy or any unknown pre-release info and I have no inside information. So I cannot help you there. I apologize if this is already well known info. But at least there's a very good chance this topic will always be on the first page for easy reference. I hope I don't ramble too much. ^^;;

I was around on the old NISA board (does that still exist?) when this game was released. And I was active in the thread that was posted about the missing content and other issues. I was all set to buy this game the next time I went to Game Stop after my classes as I had been really looking forward to it. But I had seen some things online about the game being rather buggy in places and some who had finished the game quickly were unable to unlock the bonus chapter.

I have had the original PSX game for a very long time. I remember I had an issue with the Koro quest so I assumed the glitch was related to that. But then I heard that there were problems with screens going black after certain events. And some had an issue with the Egg Brothers. When I went to the board at NISA to check all this out it seemed like no one could get the extra content to appear no matter how they played or what they did. So I assumed the game was bugged and I should hold off until I knew more info. After all, the game was advertised with extra content and no one could access it. I didn't want to buy something only to find out it I needed a refund.

I don't think the site admins had much info. But they said they thought it was a glitch and would look into it. For awhile people assumed the game was just bugged and something might be done. As it turned out we were told that the person who translated the website was not involved in game localisation and did not know that content had been cut. They simply translated what was on the Japanese site to English. I think that person may have posted about this on the NISA forum. But I'm not entirely certain as it was quite some time ago.

After some time we were finally given an answer of sorts. It was some sort of localisation issue. You all probably know that. But I found the actual reasoning behind it to be a little strange. That it was some kind of copyright issue due to Angel's Present not being localized outside of Japan.

I am trying to recall exactly what was said. But as I mentioned before, this was some time ago. My long term memory is usually pretty good though. But as far as I can remember it was more or less that Angel's present had never been released outside of Japan and NISA didn't have the rights to publish said content because of that.

I think some were a bit confused since Nippon Ichi games have so many cameos. But cameos are a bit different than this. Perhaps there was an ESRB/EU AU equivalent issue? But since it's only one chapter why would they need to review a whole game for a rating? It should have been seen as one overall rating based on overall content. Some screw up must have happened somewhere. Review copies seem to point to this.

Needless to say many people were disappointed. I, like many others, wanted the game mainly for the bonus content. And NISA seemed to have burned a few bridges with this game. Honestly, I never supported them much after this whole debacle.

Some people were hoping that the EU and AU copies would have the cut content and they could just import. But that turned out to be a bust too. I would have gladly imported. But I wasn't holding my breath on that due to the fact that Angel's Present didn't come to those regions either.

Anyway, that's all I can really give you. I hope that my recall doesn't spread any false info. But I'm pretty sure that I am remembering correctly. If anyone else sees this before it is autolocked please feel free to add any extra info if you have it.
The gate to tomorrow is not the light of heaven, but the darkness of the depths of the earth...... - Vincent FF7
  1. Boards
  2. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
  3. Some info I recall about the removed content
  • Topic Archived