I think Lady Gaga is a fan of Bayonetta (spoilers)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Bayonetta
  3. I think Lady Gaga is a fan of Bayonetta (spoilers)

User Info: JusticeLeaguer8

JusticeLeaguer8
7 years ago#1
So Lady Gaga, who in many respects is a lot like Bayonetta herself, released her new music video for Judas today. It's really good. If you haven't, go watch it:

http://gagadaily.com/2011/05/video-premiere-lady-gaga-judas/

But that's not what I wanted to talk about. At about the 3:35 minute mark, you'll notice something that fans of this game will find oddly familiar: a gun that shoots lipstick. Gaga, playing Mary Magdalene, is instructed by Jesus to use her gun on Judas, and when she does, lipstick emerges from the barrel and she marks Judas with it. If you'll recall, Bayonetta "killed" Father Balder by using Scarborough Fair to shoot her lipstick straight at his forehead. See the connection? Granted, Gaga's gun is ultimately just a badass tube instead of a weapon, but the two are way too similar, in my mind, to pass off as coincidence.

There's more evidence of this being an intentional reference as well: the overall message of the song Judas is about still being in love with the person who betrayed you. Bayonetta's backstory involves her mother, Rosa, falling in love with Balder, which ultimately resulted in Cereza/Bayonetta's birth. Of course, as we all know, Balder only did this so as to gain control of the Left Eye and resurrect Jubileus, and that would be the ultimate betrayal to Rosa, and by extension not just Bayonetta but the entire Umbra clan; making him, in effect, a Judas. And, as eagle-eyed fans of the game have found, Bayonetta's lipstick, as seen moments before it goes BOOM HEADSHOT, contains an inscription that reads "Rosa & Balder With Love Until The End of Time." From this, we can infer that the lipstick actually belonged (at least at one point) to Rosa, making Bayonetta's method of killing her father a form of Rosa exacting revenge. At this point you might say "but in the song and video, Lady Gaga is still in love with Judas!" Love is a funny thing, though: it never really dies. Even though Balder did betray Rosa, in all likelihood she still did love him after all was said and done.

Perhaps I'm unable to look at this more critically due to my undying love for Gaga and Bayonetta, my favorite artist and my favorite game (not to mention my two favorite women ever, next to my dear mum), but I thought this was worth pointing out. I've not heard anything about Gaga being a gamer, much less a serious enough one to tackle a game like this, but if nothing else, it's weird as hell. And if this WAS just a coincidence, it's certainly one of the most improbable ones in the history of coincidences.

User Info: Bear_in_Action

Bear_in_Action
7 years ago#2
To be honest, I don't believe Lady Gaga had Bayonetta anywhere in her mind when this song was written/produced.
I can see this happening, though: a friend of Lady Gaga tells her, "hey, I was playing this game yesterday and the girl shot out a lipstick from her gun, it was badass." She says, "that's cool. I'm going to use it in my video."

As for undying love, it's already a very generic and overdone topic. The relationship between Judas and Jesus had been there long before the Bayonetta was produced, Lady Gaga just needed to stick a female role into the relationship; When Lady Gaga put love and betrayal in the song, she was far more likely to be inspired by Judas and Jesus themselves than Rosa and Balder.

I respect your observation, but I think the comparison is a bit of a stretch.

User Info: Shadowruler

Shadowruler
7 years ago#3
Gotta side with my wifey on this one.
"Those who crave the dark, cannot control it."
-Sydney Losstarot, Vagrant Story (PSX) GT: Cho

Bear_in_Action
7 years ago#4
^ That'd be me right, right???? <3

User Info: blackhrt

blackhrt
7 years ago#5
While I don't know Lady Gaga from a hole in the wall, we can be rest assured:

1. Lady Gaga is nowhere the personality that Platinum Games created for Bayonetta. If Lady Gaga somehow attempted to fully act out that personality, she'd probably be in jail or working in some isolated job that is not customer service oriented.

2. Lady Gaga a gamer? Proof. Someone give me her gamertag or PSN tag and lets find out. If I only see Peggle & Tetris in her game history shes no gamer.
"I live my life 3 videogames at a time."

User Info: JusticeLeaguer8

JusticeLeaguer8
7 years ago#6
@Bear in Action:
I wasn't implying the song was inspired by Bayonetta, that's beyond improbable. I was, however, giving a plausible explanation as to why this might not be a coincidence. In theory, when she was developing the video, she could have played or heard about Bayonetta, somehow managed to follow the story, and in addition to thinking Bayonetta's lipstick bullet was cool she saw the parallels between that game's (back) story and the story for her video. If my point was misconstrued then sorry, but I wasn't suggesting a connection between Bayonetta and the song, just Bayonetta and the video.

@blackhrt:
How is Lady Gaga not an apt comparison to Bayonetta? If you watch some of her interviews you'll notice they have a very similar attitude. Both like to push the boundaries of acceptable sexuality while also laughing that those boundaries exist to begin with, not to mention they can't take two steps without bursting into a dance routine. And I said that Gaga probably isn't a gamer, since she's given no indication she is one (the odd mention of Tiberium in her Telephone video notwithstanding).

Bear_in_Action
7 years ago#7
I understood where you were coming from, but if you read the lyrics, there is a strong connection between the song and the video. When the song is talking about Judas/Jesus/love/betrayal, the video would conveniently be talking about Judas/Jesus/love/betrayal.

I still believe the whole thing is inspired by Judas and Jesus themselves, the song first then the video.

User Info: Shadowruler

Shadowruler
7 years ago#8
Bear_in_Action posted...
^ That'd be me right, right???? <3

You know this. :)
"Those who crave the dark, cannot control it."
-Sydney Losstarot, Vagrant Story (PSX) GT: Cho

User Info: ghosta2

ghosta2
7 years ago#9
i think it's a little more then a coincidence. how much media has women shooting lipstick out of elaborately decorated guns in a very dramatic fashion at people they have a complicated relationship with?
Dopo mee gusha, peedunkey?
Gt: Ghosta2

User Info: Zadman_66

Zadman_66
7 years ago#10
Gaga doesn't strike me as a gamer, but she's very Internet-savvy. She very well could have seen or been shown it.
Now Playing: Bayonetta (360), Deadly Premonition (360)
  1. Boards
  2. Bayonetta
  3. I think Lady Gaga is a fan of Bayonetta (spoilers)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived