• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Bayonetta
  3. Story Explanation and Summary <SPOILERS>

User Info: Wongster

Wongster
11 years ago#1
I've noticed that many people just don't understand the story or just dismiss it as a confusing mess. In my honest opinion, I think the story is pretty decent, and I'm attempting to summarize and explain the story for people that don't get it. This is purely intended for people that have finished the game.

In the beginning, there had always existed two opposing factions; The Umbran Witches and the Lumen Sages. The Umbran witches are practitioners of the dark arts and draw their power from Inferno, while the Lumen sages draw their power from Paradiso.

Bayonetta is a child born of an Umbran witch and a Lumen sage. This is a forbidden act, and as such Bayonetta was raised to be an outcast. It is unclear how this hybrid affects Bayonetta's power though. It is probably why she is so powerful.

Both the Umbran Witches and Lumen Sages are overseers of the world and history, constantly ensuring the balance between light and dark is kept. Both factions also contain an Eye. The Left Eye belonging to the Umbran while the Right Eye belonging to the Lumen. Together, they form the Eyes of the World, a power so great and powerful it cannot be rivaled. In this case, Bayonetta is the Left Eye, while her father Baldur, is the Right Eye.

A crucial event called the Great War plunges both factions into a deadly war that ends up wiping out both the Umbran witches and Lumen sages. Jeanne stabs Bayonetta and seals her in a coffin under a lake to prevent the Left Eye from falling into enemy hands.

500 years have passed, and a journalist named Antonio unravels the secrets behind the warring factions. He tracks the clues to a lake and finds the coffin Bayonetta is sealed in, and unintentionally frees her from her prison. However, Antonio is killed by Angels and his son, Luka witnesses the murder and assumes Bayonetta is the culprit.

DFFOO ID: LionHeartV2, 526887309.

Wongster
11 years ago#2
Bayonetta awakes a witch with no memories of her past. She only knows that she is a witch with great power and seeks answers. She believes answers can be found by tracking down a treasure known as the Eyes of the World. Unbeknownst to her, the Eyes of the World is not a treasure but the combination of both the Right and Left eye.

With the help of Enzo, Bayonetta tracks the Eyes of the World to Vigrid, the birth place of the Umbran and Lumen sages. There she meets a little girl called Cereza, who looks dangerously similar to Bayonetta herself. Feeling a bond with the girl, Bayonetta decides to bring her along and protects her from the danger that threatens her. In Vigrid, she also meets Jeanne, the fellow witch that sealed Bayonetta all those years ago. Jeanne is brainwashed by the Angels and treats Bayonetta as her nemesis.

After much bloodshed, Bayonetta meets her father Baldur in the capital city and the truth is revealed. Cereza is Bayonetta when she was still a child, and Baldur brought her to the future so Bayonetta could inspire her younger self to awaken the Left Eye when she grew up. In other words, Bayonetta is training her younger self to be the Left Eye.

This plays into the hands of Baldur and Bayonetta(The Left Eye) becomes a catalyst that sparks the revival of the Creator, Jubileus. This was the intention of Baldur all along, and everything that was done in the game was merely to awaken the Left Eye buried in Bayonetta. Jubileus would destroy the world as it is now and create a new one in the image of the old. In other words, everybody would be destroyed.

Buried in the eyes of a statue of Jubileus, Baldur and Bayonetta are launched into space to begin the revival process. However, Jeanne who had broken out of the Angel's hold, comes to the rescue and frees Bayonetta from the Creator's grip.

Having been weakened by the loss of one eye, Jubileus is easily defeated by Bayonetta and all is safe once more.

This was how I saw the story and I may be wrong in certain aspects. Feel free to add to this or correct me if you find any errors. Hopefully this would answer some of the questions posed by people and would help everyone enjoy the game better.

User Info: Techercizer

Techercizer
11 years ago#3
I know that a lot of people go back and forth as to whether Cereza is time travel young Bayonetta, or just something created by Baldur with his light powers to influence her (which would have less history-altering implications). Also, It might be important to note that Jeanne uses Bayonetta's jewel to survive the explosion and break free of Baldur's control. Other than that, great summary.
"Real Life has bad lag. Example: It took Jesus 3 whole days to respawn." -sora_fanboy_105
"3 days!? Jesus Christ!"

User Info: boinybunny

boinybunny
11 years ago#4

My opinion on the time travelling thing is that Cereza is indeed young Bayonetta. She doesn't remember coming to the future as a child because she doesn't remember anything about her past. Balder plucked the child out of the past and brought her to the future so that old Bayonetta could teach her something. Having defeated Balder, Bayonetta returns Cereza to her original timeline, and departs back to the present day.

It's kind of like an ongoing containedtime loop with no beginning or end.

Although I understand Jeanne was brainwashed by Balder, I would like to know what was so special about the red stone which saved her...I don't think the game covers this.

User Info: Melonic97

Melonic97
11 years ago#5
The red stone is Bayonetta's Left Eye
Just a lurker on the Smash Bros Board.

Melonic97
11 years ago#6
Ok Maybe that didn't help, I think because she floated away from where ever the Creator was, the Left Eye protected her from the force surrounding Jubileus

Wongster
11 years ago#7
The game led you to believe that the stone was the Left Eye, but was in fact revealed to merely be a stone of great power. Bayonetta herself was the Left Eye. That was the twist in the story.

Melonic97
11 years ago#8
So the gem was just something to be fought over and passed down?

Wongster
11 years ago#9
That is exactly right. Its just an ornament. At least, thats from what I gather from the story.

User Info: Milox3

Milox3
11 years ago#10
So is it ever said who is Bayonetta's mother?

And in the "flashbacks", specially when Bayonetta tells Cereza to keep what she loves close, you can see "500 years ago", Bayonetta in the Vigrid prison-like place, and Cereza in the other side of the jail. So that's what keeps making me believe that they were 2 different people, but I guess not...
  1. Boards
  2. Bayonetta
  3. Story Explanation and Summary <SPOILERS>
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A