• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Toki Tori
  3. Should I Get This?

User Info: FF_III_Fan

FF_III_Fan
10 years ago#1
Is this the best WiiWare game out there? I have Lostwinds, Dr. Mario Online, and Pop.

I was wondering if this would complete the collection. BTW, I LOVE puzzle games!

Thanks!

User Info: Tomba42

Tomba42
10 years ago#2
So far it seems quite good. As a puzzle game fan, I expect you'd like it.
® Friend Foundation ®
I'd never be jealous of a ten-year-old girl with a full mustache. -Moth366 (AIM on 10/19/05)

User Info: Berzerktank

Berzerktank
10 years ago#3
Hello Tomba. Anyway, yeah. As long as you don't spoil the puzzles for yourself with various online resources, the game is difficult, lengthy, and supremely satisfying.

User Info: ArmorKing

ArmorKing
10 years ago#4
Great but it suffers from some control problems if you are using just the Wiimote, imho.

This game, for some odd reason, does NOT support the standard "sideways" Wiimote setup (like for NES games) when it easily could have. Wiimote control instead involves pointing and clicking at a spot in the level, which causes Toki Tori (the player character) to move to the spot you target, and flicking the controller to switch items. Problem is, it's just not great: Item switching is unreliable, Toki is slow to start moving sometimes, and sometimes he paths in an unexpected way towards the target that screws you over (straight into an enemy you were trying to avoid, for example).

Strongly suggest using a nunchunk or classic controller. Using those two options, the game is quite playable and very very fun if you are an action puzzler fan.

User Info: accc

accc
10 years ago#5
^You realize you can switch items with the d-pad, right?

Anyway, outside of a few pathfinding issues (occasionally he will walk into the path of an enemy, so you have to break up the path into a few different segments) the Wiimote controls worked far better for this game than the classic controls.
"the" -- Geneva Convention, Article 4, Paragraph 3, Sentence 5, Word 3

User Info: ArmorKing

ArmorKing
10 years ago#6
^You realize you can switch items with the d-pad, right?

True, but it still doesn't change the fact that item switching with flicking is unreliable, which was a shame.

Anyway, outside of a few pathfinding issues (occasionally he will walk into the path of an enemy, so you have to break up the path into a few different segments) the Wiimote controls worked far better for this game than the classic controls.

Right, so why suffer through the tedium you just mentioned when you are trying to beat the harder levels? It's not just accidentally pathing into enemies, later levels are extremely complicated and kind of long, and require Toki to move at a fast, precise pace under pressure. One false move means starting all over, made worse by the need to "segment" your movements and sometimes guess as to how Toki will path to the target, as the game won't tell you until he is already moving. It's not like the later levels are impossible with the Wiimote, not at all (the Wiimote is actually quite convenient when you are bubble-floating). It's just that they prove to be a bit tedious more often than not.

Don't get me wrong, this game is a great value and must-buy for puzzle fans, but I'd honestly still recommend any new player to have a nunchunk/classic controller handy (particularly the nunchunk).

User Info: accc

accc
10 years ago#7
I don't find it tedious to point and click at a location, its a lot more laid back and relaxing than having to move all the way to the location manually.
"the" -- Geneva Convention, Article 4, Paragraph 3, Sentence 5, Word 3

User Info: MoonBound

MoonBound
10 years ago#8
You are not meant to constantly move in most stages its a puzzle game and it seems your reading way to much into this I like the wiimote you just need to adjust to it, I dont see anything wrong with it.
  1. Boards
  2. Toki Tori
  3. Should I Get This?
  • Topic Archived