Just started: Class suggestions / Builds?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Dark Spire
  3. Just started: Class suggestions / Builds?

User Info: SynD0

SynD0
6 years ago#1
I had this game for awhile but I finally got time to play it here and there...

Any suggestions on classes or builds? or what to grind/level up?

I like to get started on this, as I like the atmosphere of the game and the challenge.

User Info: RuneEsper

RuneEsper
6 years ago#2
Sorry for the late reply...dead board, mostly.

To start out, one of each class is recommended. You really do need all skillsets represented: Fighter, Thief, Mage, Priest.

The game is very well designed, and will really stretch your brain with some of it's puzzles. I recommend that you try to tackle it without a guide as much as possible.

Be sure to watch your map closely for evidence of secret doors. There are some useful things hidden behind a couple doors fairly early on, and many important things all over the place.

Some might disagree, but until you get your crew well outfitted with the best armor from the shops, I recommend selling all Heal Potions and Antidotes. At 250 gold each, they are probably the best source of cash early.

Oh, and the best weapons are not always obvious. The best weapon for dealing damage in the shop at the beginning is the Estoc; extra hits always trump in this game. The next big upgrade comes when you can reach level 3 of the dungeon.

Hope this helps, if you have questions feel free to ask I'll answer as I can.
Hey, she's pretty lucky on having her boyfriend turned into a fairly cute bunny-thing. He could have been turned into a Japanese Tentacle Monster - Azadiel

SynD0
6 years ago#3
Hmm an Estoc, so I don't have to keep on grinding for gold then for a Katana?

:) Good then... I think I could use that money for armor or something.

Currently I have a fun little team I already got the skull key, and opened the statue puzzle door, had to think about that one for awhile.

Current Team: Heroic Formation.

Warrior 3 : st 14 - in 13 - vt 13 - dx 9 -ch 7 - HP 15
Longsword (estoc soon,) Wooden Shield, Steel Helm, Leather Armor, Parrot Doll

Thief 3 : st 13 - in 14 - vt 14 - dx 14 -ch 9 - HP 15
Longbow , Tricorne Hat, Leather Armor

Priest 3 : st 9 - in 13 - vt 9 - dx 9 -ch 9 - HP 14
Quarter Staff , Leather armor

Mage 2 : st 9 - in 14 - vt 10 - dx 14 -ch 16 - HP 11
Quarter Staff , Robe

RuneEsper
6 years ago#4
Hope you are still enjoying yourself.

The only real complaint I have about the game is the relatively slow scroll speed in the dungeons; that's the reason I mainly play in Classic mode.

My current crew is working on dungeon levels 4 & 5 plus east Basement; I just got my Druid upgrade and am now working on my Samurai and Wizard (this trip I opted to go offense heavy, Samurai, Samurai, Wizard, Druid).
Hey, she's pretty lucky on having her boyfriend turned into a fairly cute bunny-thing. He could have been turned into a Japanese Tentacle Monster - Azadiel

SynD0
6 years ago#5
I like the game, these sort of games I enjoy since they remind me a lot of the old pc rpgs I use to play (wizardry and the sort) Personally I wish there were more Dungeon Crawlers around, The last one I bought was Wizardry on the PSN which was fun, but it was rather short.

Dark Spire is going well though, I just finally found those grave robbers... who knew they would be hiding in the dark. :)

SynD0
6 years ago#6
Gaaah... I'm at the point where I keep rolling a 1 and hating it.

I kept rolling a 1 for about 20minutes before i was about to give up on the Warrior-6 , then I got 3 HP , fine... I'll take what I can get at this point.

But now everyone is stubborn and only rolls a 1 on each class level ups. What to do? :B

SynD0
6 years ago#7
Off Topic- Also I wonder if i should buy SMT Strange Journey... I noticed its similar to this game. I wonder if it will frustrate me as much, if so good... Its a challenge I suppose :)

( I have all the etrian games and love them and have my own problems with them too haha)

RuneEsper
6 years ago#8
If you are rolling a 1 repeatedly for that long, just take it.

The way that the game deals with HP is kind of weird; it re-rolls all your HP-dice up to that level, and if the new result is higher than the old, you gain up to that result. If the new roll is lower, you gain 1 HP.

For example, when going to Warrior 6, the highest HP you could POSSIBLY have without a CON bonus would be 60 (6d10). If your HP is already in the 45+ range, then the odds of a roll coming out much higher is very slim (I'm not really a math person, so I won't even try to give you the actual statistical odds).

The HP system does tend to balance out in the long run; as long as you don't get RNG screwed for the first 5 levels or so, then you should be in pretty good shape.

As far as Strange Journey goes, I would highly recommend it. Of course, I am very fond of my SMT games in general. Strange Journey is great though; it is quite a fitting successor to games like Wizardry (and TDS, even though it is more recent). The dungeon design in SJ is excellent, and exhibits a lot of similarities to TDS in some areas: teleporter mazes, quests that require backtracking, and the like. SJ does have many improvements though, such as a better map system, better equipment descriptions, and highly customizable party roster. It doesn't have quite the charm of TDS IMHO though.

tl;dr: Both great games, with very different focuses (TDS: long-term character growth and exploration; SJ: fusion system, story)

SynD0
6 years ago#9
Awesome, just got SMT: Strange Journey and I already posted on that board.

Dark Spire is getting weird, I'm in this gambling quest to win back a Flame Jewel(?) it's a really annoying quest :)

RuneEsper
6 years ago#10
Ah yes, stupid rigged dice game!

Teach someone Gambling at the Guild.

Put them in the lead, save just before talking to the shady proprietor. I usually try to go in with about 1,000, and just burn through it as many times as necessary, reloading if you go broke. You need to win five times in a row; it can take a while, since it is luck based. When you eventually win, you will receive 3,200 Gold which you get to keep, in addition to the item you need (not the Flame Jewel btw).

In a related note, don't buy anything from guy except for Parrot Dolls; the rest of his stuff is not worth it, unless you want to try to get a suit of Fine Leather from the Grab Bag for your Thief (in which case, I again advocate the save/reload method).
  1. Boards
  2. The Dark Spire
  3. Just started: Class suggestions / Builds?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived