• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 2
  3. Bonus Power choices not so clear-cut for Sentinel?

User Info: Foxhound3857

Foxhound3857
2 months ago#1
It was a pretty easy choice for Soldier, taking Geth Shield Boost for the added survivability and bonus to weapon damage (not to mention it makes a great "healing" skill when your Shields drop), and GSB was pretty good for Infiltrator as well, gave the class a lot of survivability in combination with judicious use of Tactical Cloak. Vanguards choice is a little tougher because you already have shield feeding through the use of Charge, making Barrier a little less tantalizing (unless you use it to beef up your shields before charging into the fray). Barrier is still good, but Reave is also a solid option here for the ranged utility and the health buffing pre-charge, and though it's honestly a tough call between the two, at least the Vanguard knows what would be ideal for them, based on their playstyle.

But Sentinel, I just don't know which way to go. Reave and Energy Drain seem pointless with the Sentinel already having Warp and Overload, and likewise Slam and Dominate seem less than ideal on Insanity when enemy defenses compromise their usefulness (hell, the only use I get out of Cryo Blast on Insanity is dealing with Husks, but Throw does the same thing in a lot of cases, and honestly I prefer the Avalanche for that anyway). You don't need a crowd control or knockdown power like Flashbang when you already have Throw. Tech Armor negates any need for a defensive skill like GSB or Barrier, and even ammo powers like Warp Ammo just don't seem that beneficial when the Sentinel is not only light on weaponry, but mainly relies on powers to strip defenses, not bullets.

So what then? What bonus power is "ideal" for a Sentinel? What power just screams "pick me, I'm the obvious choice" for a Sentinel? Maybe Armor-Piercing Ammo being that Armor is tougher to deal with than Shields or Barriers? But even then, it's not so clear.

My build, BTW: 10 points to spare

Rank 3 Throw
Rank 3 Warp
Rank 3 Overload
Rank 2 Cryo Blast
Rank 4 Tech Armor: Power
Rank 4 Defender: Raider

I would assume Raider and Power Armor also boost Ammo Powers, seeing as they're universal and not Tech/Biotic specific?
And you will all live to grow and thrive and lead happy lives...
...until old age take you back to the weeds.
(edited 2 months ago)

Foxhound3857
2 months ago#2
I could also drop Cryo Blast and max out Throw (Field), Warp and Overload (Area for both), leaving me one spare point for AP ammo when I'm alone or not using squadmates with their own ammo powers.

FYI, I play on Insanity. Beaten Insanity three times with Soldier, Vanguard, and Infiltrator.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: momo92

momo92
2 months ago#3
Stasis or Energy Drain in my opinion.

Energy Drain will help keep your Tech Armor up. As for Stasis, it makes it easier to hit enemies obviously and that is important for survival on Insanity as you already know.
"Music speaks when words fail!" Dokkan ID:748737433
XBL GT: Pathos Da Ghost

Foxhound3857
2 months ago#4
I guess what annoys me most is that I have to dump points into Throw to get access to Warp, denying me from maxing out other skills. I'd rather have no investment in Throw at all, or one point at most to stop charging Krogan or kill Husks.

My ideal Sentinel build would be:

Throw: 1
Warp: 4
Overload: 4
Tech Armor: 4
Defender: 4
Armor-Piercing Ammo: 4

But I can't do this because Throw requires Rank 2 to unlock Warp, so the best I could do:

Throw: 2
Warp: 4 (Heavy)
Overload: 4 (Area)
Cryo Blast: 1
Tech Armor: 4 (Power)
Defender: 4 (Raider)
Armor-Piercing Ammo: 3

Leaving 1 skill point to go towards nothing. AP Ammo would be only 50% instead of 70% Tungsten, but that's still pretty strong considering Power Armor and Raider would improve it as well. I'd either take the Viper or the Vindicator for weapon training and use the Firestorm to cover close range.

(edited 2 months ago)

momo92
2 months ago#5
Keep Throw at Rank 2 for access to Warp like you said

Foxhound3857
2 months ago#6
momo92 posted...
Keep Throw at Rank 2 for access to Warp like you said

That's one option. In your opinion, which do you think would perform better on Insanity, Rank 4 Area Throw and Rank 1 AP Ammo, or Rank 2 Throw and Rank 3 AP Ammo?

This would be with Power Armor and Raider.

momo92
2 months ago#7
Foxhound3857 posted...
That's one option. In your opinion, which do you think would perform better on Insanity, Rank 4 Area Throw and Rank 1 AP Ammo, or Rank 2 Throw and Rank 3 AP Ammo?

This would be with Power Armor and Raider.
I'm not too familiar with Throw. Does it affect enemies with armor? If so, then go with Area Throw. Otherwise, AP Ammo Rank 3 and Throw Rank 2.

Armor is the most common form of protection that enemies use on Insanity.

User Info: GundamFanT

GundamFanT
1 month ago#8
An ammo power is about the only thing they don't have. My usual go to for my sentinel is Warp Ammo. Even a simple one point investment can boost your weapon damage significantly, leaving your other precious talent points free for other powers.
Psn/GT: GundamFanT Nintendo Code: SW-1394-8994-8299
Dragon's Dogma Switch Pawn ID: E21C-46D6-C532
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 2
  3. Bonus Power choices not so clear-cut for Sentinel?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A