• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 2
  3. Is Tali one of the "Muslims" of the galaxy?

User Info: Great_Pagliacci

Great_Pagliacci
9 years ago#51
She sounds like eastern orthodox gypsy
Do as little as possible, and that unwillingly. For it is better to receive a slight reprimand than to perform an arduous task. ~ Michael Lewis

User Info: Tro77Tro

Tro77Tro
9 years ago#52
How is this topic left standing when many of the less stupid ones have been deleted o-o? This topic is a person who knows absolutely nothing about a culture tossing around ignorant, stereotypical Western idiocies as if he does.

Good Lord, GameFAQs, try harder.
Like male worgens, only with more feminine features and boobs. And two "times of the month." -adjl on female Worgen

User Info: Dragons_Legacy

Dragons_Legacy
9 years ago#53
Dude... you even had a Muslim comment on this thread saying Tali's pilgrimage is far different than a Muslisms. Quarians go out to get new tech to better equip the Foltila, or knowledge. Muslisms just go out to better themselves. If a Quarian came back as just a "better person" they'll be accepted, but they'll get looked at funny and probably pushed away somewhat.

Tali is a virgin because contact with the flesh of another will make her sick even amongst her people.... So it's gotten to the point Quarians only link their atmospheric environments with those they trust because if they did it casually, they could die. That doesn't make her Muslim.

The thing with the veil, men have them too. It's just not as pronounced as the women. Men have theirs laid flat against the side of their helmets vs the women using theirs as a hood.

Tali is closer to being a gypsy than a Muslim. A Gypsy is less accepted than a Muslim is.

Really TC, you and any one who thinks like you has to grow up and actually learn about the world and the things you compare in-game characters to.

Oh, side note, that Kilaah-Silah (however it's spelled) is used in various ways very much like how people use "jesus christ!" as a curse and prayer. A Muslim would get shot, beat down, and murdered (exaggeration but you get the point) if they tried that.
"A great war leaves the country with three armies - an army of cripples, an army of mourners, and an army of thieves." ~German Proverb

User Info: randy_123r

randy_123r
9 years ago#54

*Builds a shield around TC*

This will last a while.

How's the shield holding up?
Common Sense -
http://www.last.fm/user/SaintMusik

User Info: Mooshabong81

Mooshabong81
9 years ago#55
Good post Dragons Legacy. Can't believe this topic has flown as far as it has. I thought she was a gypsy as well.
Q:What do you do when you can't do nothing but there's nothing you can do?
A: Do what you can. --2OLD2PLAY.COM--

User Info: OmniSlasherX

OmniSlasherX
9 years ago#56
"There's nothing Muslim about the Quarians. They're space gypsies, hence Tali's acent. Her accent is Eastern European, it's just about as un-Muslim as you can possibly get. Hell, if you even start the first romance conversation with her you'll notice just how far from "muslim" she is. "

Now I don't think that Tali is representative of a Muslim, but last I checked there are a lot of Muslims in Europe, Eastern Europe especially.
Omnislasher that is quite possibly the most brilliant thing ive ever seen.. ~ Whitewolf43

Dragons_Legacy
9 years ago#57
Muslims everywhere if you want to get technical, but this isn't technicality but based on the original geographical location of the main part of the culture which isn't Eastern Europe.

Oh, and another thing that Quarians aren't Muslims, it's even stated in the story that before the war with the Geth the Quarians didn't wear veils at all. Walked around in normal clothing like the next person.
"A great war leaves the country with three armies - an army of cripples, an army of mourners, and an army of thieves." ~German Proverb

Dragons_Legacy
9 years ago#58
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy

Trivia on Quarians

"Trivia

* The quarian history of creating the geth, then being ousted from their homeworld by their creations, resembles the plot of the "re-imagined" Battlestar Galactica.
* The fate of the quarians also is nearly identical to the situation of the Syreen of Star Control 2, who were forced to leave their homeworld by a apocalypse caused by another race in the galaxy. As a result, they rigged almost anything that could theoretically support life (Mostly buildings) with rockets and turned them into spaceships, forming their version of the migrant fleet; behaving much like the quarians version only without pilgrimage
* The reputation of the quarians and their nomadic lifestyle is very similar to the fictional representation of gypsies. Tali's accent is similar to that of an eastern European gypsy. "

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Quarian

/end thread.

User Info: OldSnakeReborn

OldSnakeReborn
9 years ago#59
Well if you notice closely, every species in this game some how features qualities and customs that are typical to some racial group in real life.

Like when I see a Salarian, I think Asian people because it's very stereotypical with likes of tech related items.

So yeah, I think they base the diversity of aliens among the diversities of culture and race customs of real life.

They would have to because then you wouldn't be able to relate, you know?

"Yeah, usually stores don't allow any pc resells because of the chance of people packing viruses into the disks." - Chainsaw_Max

Dragons_Legacy
9 years ago#60
I could say Turians match Asian people, Japanese to be exact. Or that Krogan match Spartans. Asari... I can't think of a culture that whores themselves out like Asari.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 2
  3. Is Tali one of the "Muslims" of the galaxy?
  • Topic Archived