• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Far Cry 2
  3. Ubi admits respawning guard posts is a problem

User Info: PENumber1

PENumber1
10 years ago#1
Hopefully this hasn't been posted here, but I got the latest copy of Game Informer today, and in it they have Clint Hocking, Far Cry 2 Creative Director, fielding reader-generated questions.

One of the questions was: "Why did you decide to include respawning enemies at all the guard posts?"

The answer: "This issue was raised by one of the programming leads late in the development cycle, but my feeling at the time was that it was not an issue. I knew it was happening, but the number of places in which it was noticeable was small. In fact, the number of places where you notice it is small - it is just that they almost all happen to be very close to safe houses that are frequently visited en route to and from major objectives, meaning that almost every player encounters these few places in almost every mission. We didn't do anything intentionally to make it that way, but we also didn't do anything to fix it, and that is my fault because I misestimated the severity of the issue. In hindsight, having read numerous reviews of the game, this issue seems to be the single largest problem with the game, and it is frustrating for a lot of players. It makes me a bit sad to think that this one slightly mishandled, moderately scoped technical design issue seems to have such a powerful influence on the overall perception of the game when I feel we did so many things well. I guess that's the challenge of making hugely ambitious games - you're juggling a lot of plates and it's very hard to pull off a perfect finish."

Personally, I am glad that they are at least recognizing this as an issue, albeit well after the fact. But at least he didn't try to give us some line about "that was part of our vision for the game and we adhered to our vision blahblahblah" which you sometimes see developers try to pull, essentially telling the consumers "you guys just don't understand what the game is"

I like the game overall, but the respawning guard posts can really put a damper on the fun at times, and makes it such that I can only play the game in short chunks at a time, lest I start getting really frustrated with it. But man... I just keep thinking how this game would have been infinitely much better without all that respawning at the guard posts.

I wonder if there's any chance of tweaking the respawn times on those guard posts via a patch. I mean if they at least remained cleared out for like 1-2 game days, that would be so much better. I'm not holding my breath for that, but it sure would be nice.

User Info: BloodGod65

BloodGod65
10 years ago#2
First and foremost - New GI WTF? It's only the 13th. Anyway...

I also think it's nice he stepped up to the plate and took responsibility. Most developers do try to play their mistakes off as intentional (and end up looking like morons). Remember when they interviewed the guy from Criterion about Burnout Paradise? He was still sticking to the idea that not being able to restart races (among other things) was a great design decision, even though it had been mentioned in nearly every review.
I'm a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude

User Info: SonicBombing

SonicBombing
10 years ago#3
No one would have lodged a complaint if the respawns were every 15 mins. (real time) instead of every three. I still love this game though.
XBOX Live Gamertag: Sonic Bombing

User Info: Zensword

Zensword
10 years ago#4
I mean if they at least remained cleared out for like 1-2 game days, that would be so much better

It should take 1 day for the guardposts to respawn but I don't have any problem with the guardposts respawn after 5 minutes.

User Info: HDCase

HDCase
10 years ago#5
I'd say hopefully they'll patch it out but who knows, the damage for too many people has already been done. Still glad to see him taking responsibility. You don't see that happen a whole lot these days.
Artiste of the slightly funny deal

User Info: PENumber1

PENumber1
10 years ago#6
Yeah, the damage has been done in that reviews have been pretty consistent in mentioning it as an issue (and the game scored accordingly), to the point that patching it now might be a case of closing the barn door well after the cows have escaped. I am still hopeful that this could be patched, but even if it can't be patched (or won't be patched), the fact that they recognize this as an issue makes me hopeful that maybe if they do another sandbox game for a future sequel, they will correct this for that game.

User Info: zidane13412

zidane13412
10 years ago#7
What they should have done, was put them to the side. Not where you are constanty moving too, but if you need to stock up on supplies, which was the original intention, then you just make a little Detour. Kinda like MGS3, where you can travel to misc. outposts, and get more items, but it was never a nescesity.
I accidently did bullet time in real life. It may have been partially mushroom influenced but the point is I still got away with the cash-Bob Shmoe. I AM SMRT

User Info: embitterer

embitterer
10 years ago#8
I'm aware of it being a problem for many, and know that it happens, but i have not seen it happen very often; however, after reading the above comment on it, I think it's because I tend to stay away from that area (on the first part of the map) which i believe is in the middle somewhere, and usually head south and then to the eastern most bus station, or depending on my location, to Pala and the station there.

As far as putting them to the side, they aren't "outposts" they're "checkpoints". They are designed to block off high traffic areas.
"Hey Ryu, your bullet wound is bleeding!" -Ken to Ryu
gt-bittergod

User Info: zidane13412

zidane13412
10 years ago#9
Maybe, but Outposts would probably be better then this checkpoint system.
I accidently did bullet time in real life. It may have been partially mushroom influenced but the point is I still got away with the cash-Bob Shmoe. I AM SMRT

User Info: embitterer

embitterer
10 years ago#10
You're probably right, I was just being pompous.
"Hey Ryu, your bullet wound is bleeding!" -Ken to Ryu
gt-bittergod
  1. Boards
  2. Far Cry 2
  3. Ubi admits respawning guard posts is a problem
  • Topic Archived