• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
  3. Final Review/Thoughts After Playing the Import

User Info: Uptown877

Uptown877
10 years ago#1
Well, after beating the game at just under 12 hours, I guess it is time to give the people of this board what they want. Note, this will be a spoiler-freeish post as I do not want to ruin the game for anyone who wants to try it themselves. So I guess lets begin from the top.

1) Is it worth importing?
A) Depends, if you can fluently understand Japanese and love storytelling, then yes. If you answered no to one of those questions, then do not import it. First of all the game is strictly Japanese with large amounts of kana and kanji everywhere: in instructions, tutorials, on the walls, in your inventory, during campfire scenes and during normal cutscenes. If you don't understand Japanese at all, you will not understand the story at all, thus making the only decent thing about this game pretty much moot, which brings us to point #2.

2) What is worthwhile in this game?
A) The story. Thats it. And I hate to be cynical, but even then it wasn't a masterpiece. Standard routine for most Adventure/RPG hybrid games. Got your hero, the damsel, the villain, and you are set. Still, it is a heart touching one but thats about it. The gameplay is not bad or terrible but the best way to describe it is very, very basic. Which brings us to point #3.

3) What is the gameplay like?
A) As stated above, dull and simple. You can equip one item in each hand. Your right hand will always be holding some type of light, so you can see your way, look for hidden symbols, or blind your enemies. The left hand is reserved for your weapon, of which there are 4 types: slashing, impaling, smashing, and shooting. Slashing consists of: twigs, bokens (kendo practice swords), pipes, iron clubs, and katanas. Impaling are: rods and spears. Smashing has hammers and axes, and finally shooting consists of different types of bows. Each type has its own pros and cons but I will be honest with you. You only need to use the slashing type and shooting type to get through the game, and even then the shooting type you will only REALLY need once, and the game even gives it to you for free when you do.

Enemies are stupid......really, really stupid. I think I died from enemy attacks once or twice throughout my playthrough. Not only that, combat is entirely avoidable if you keep running past enemies as they are too slow to catch up to you and disappear if you get too far away. So what is the point to beating enemies. Well, glad you asked. See, remember this game called Dark Cloud, where after you beat enemies a certain # of times your weapon went "CRACK." Guess what, its in this game too. Thats right, your weapons break. After using it a random # of times (always varied for me was never constant) after battle you will receive a prompt telling you your weapon broke. Therefore, you beat on enemies to get dropped items which consists of either two things, either: another weapon, or an ore which you can sell at the shop. We will get there.

In addition to weapons and items, there are flashing bags scattered all over the game, when you pick them up they will appear as questions marks in your inventory until you reach the next campfire. Once you are there, Seto will uncover what the item truly is. I will explain more in the next section about campfires.

(CONTINUED)
"Poor lost souls, may you be born again anew!" - chaos

Uptown877
10 years ago#2
Saving your game consists of stopping at a campfire. Dont ever worry about going long between savepoints as they are freaking everywhere. Literally, every 2 minutes I found another one. Resting at these replenishes your HP to full. Once you are there a few options are available: re-organize your bag, save, and continue on. The latter two are obvious so lets talk about the first one.

Organizing your bag consists of two parts. You have your ON-HAND bag, and your briefcase. Your on-hand bag is what you can use while not at a campfire. Basically, stock it with weapons and healing items. Everything else that you have in excess you can store in your briefcase until you need it. However, the briefcase is only accessible at campfires so plan ahead. Also, you do not want to fill your bag up too much because then you wont have room to hold new items. I almost never had a problem with space as I never needed healing items because the AI is so stupid.

Once you meet the item merchant, he will randomly show up when you rest at a campfire. Enough said about that. He sells weapons and healing items in case you need some more.

The second part of campfires consists of any random items you find throughout the game. These items all have a backstory attached to them that plays once you sit down at the campfire. Think Lost Odyssey style but much much much much shorter. Usually only 30 seconds to a few minutes at most. Some items just tell a story of their owner while others detail some backstory of the game. Eitherway, most of them were not very interesting and only one really struck my heart as "a good tale."

4) Other Random Thoughts
A) The level design is very basic but it changes enough to see new scenery every time, although most of the game will consist either underground or in shelters of some sort. The music is very soft, light, and shallow which makes it kinda......bland. I never really found myself enjoying the ambiance that the soundtrack had to offer.

Character designs are detailed enough but the enemies are just repeat clones of each other with color swaps. There are only about 6 different enemies throughout the entire game and about 4 or 5 boss battles. Overall enemy design is sub-par.

Finally, the ending offers.......nothing. Sorry to burst it that way but, the game ends very quickly and subtly, the credits role, and then thats it. No options for New Game + or any artwork or galleries unlocked. If there is some way to do so, then I must have missed it so if anyone else unlocks anything, let me know.

FRAGILE, is a game that was definitely thought up by a good group of men and women who wanted to tell a story about not wanting to suffer alone through life. However, I feel it would have worked better as a book or movie to tell you the truth as you go through 12-14 hours of game to only see about one to one and a half full hours of real pure story. I praise Tri-Crescendo and Bandai-Namco for trying, but unfortunately the game falls a little short of being sturdy (no pun intended).

Overall I give it a 6.5/10. Game is definitely playable, no huge bugs, story is above average, and thats it.

All in all thats about wraps it up. Feel free to post questions and comments if you have them and thanks for reading

User Info: des326

des326
10 years ago#3
Thanks for your review, it resembles what I was initially expecting from the game. Since your pretty much summarized what I expected I wont be dissapointed, though I still had a little hope left ...

Wonder how this game will do sales wise ...

User Info: toswubber

toswubber
10 years ago#4
I'd like to thank you as well.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I expected after seeing all those gameplay videos. That's why the game is hardly my most-wanted Wii game (there are still a bunch ahead of it).

If only they had spent more time on the gameplay. Then we could have the complete package. The attacking sounds about right, but the enemies being super stupid is just pathetic. Also sad to hear the game is both short and there's not a whole lot of reason to replay it... I'm actually surprised you said it took you that long as I had heard the game was supposed to be around 30 hours.
Do Want: NMH2, FatalFrame4, Kizuna, ArcFantasia, Tenchu4, RF:Frontier, Fragile, Muramasa, Sword&Soldiers, Onechanbara, King Story, MH3, Tatsuno v. Capcom

Uptown877
10 years ago#5
Unless I missed something massive, which I dont think I did as the game is pretty linear, then yes, expect to be finished with it around 12-15 hours, depending on whether or not you want to hunt down every single tiny hidden item. I found all but two though, so I dont think I missed anything big.

User Info: Destinychan

Destinychan
10 years ago#6
*is disappointed*

Awww.....That's depressing....This game looks better than that!

But I'm still going to get it!

The game answers all questions right? (i.e. you find out what happened to all the people)

Maybe there are some unlockables...
http://z11.invisionfree.com/So_Zetta_Awesome/index.php
^Official Sho Minamimoto Fan club. Talk about his sexiness here. Great place for TWEWY too!

Uptown877
10 years ago#7
Yeah it doesnt really leave any loose ends. One thing happened during the game that I wasnt expecting, but other then that, nothing else really throws you for a loop.

User Info: zer0_AiR

zer0_AiR
10 years ago#8
I'm not really disappointed because from videos I can see the kind of atmosphere this game has and that's what I was looking for. I agree with you in that story looks to be one of the most important factors to this game so I won't be importing (I only speak English). I really wish this would make it out of Japan though. I don't understand why a company would put this much time into a game only to restrict its potential audience. Even Eternal Sonata sold better when it went outside of Japan! (I think so anyway...)

So yeah. I'll keep waiting. Congrats on finishing it so quickly though to give impressions! ^_^

User Info: Hoa_Dao

Hoa_Dao
10 years ago#9
Thank you for the review ~ I kind of expected that the battle system is kind of eeeehh, but I didn't expect the enemies to be eeeeh too. XD;;

We still have other hopes for Wii RPGs, though! ^^ I won't give up on Fragile but at least I won't be too disappointed! I want to draw fanart ^_^
http://hoadao.deviantart.com - my deviantArt site. ^^
Currently playing: Odin Sphere (PS2) an a re-playthrough of Golden Sun (GBA)

User Info: Destinychan

Destinychan
10 years ago#10
^I'm already working on fanarts!!! :D
http://z11.invisionfree.com/So_Zetta_Awesome/index.php
^Official Sho Minamimoto Fan club. Talk about his sexiness here. Great place for TWEWY too!
  1. Boards
  2. Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
  3. Final Review/Thoughts After Playing the Import
  • Topic Archived