• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. God of War III
  3. Magic power up question

User Info: Red04

Red04
1 year ago#1
I’m early in the game and I’ve acquired the Army of Sparta magic, but it doesn’t show up in the upgrade menu reel, is this a glitch, does it automatically upgrade itself or how do I upgrade it? Thanks in advance!
Proud GameFAQs member for over 12 years.
_RIP Chester Bennington 1976 - 2017_

User Info: MrTinkertrain

MrTinkertrain
1 year ago#2
AoS upgrades with BoE (lvl3 for lvl2 and lvl5 for lvl3).

Red04
1 year ago#3
Thanks!

MrTinkertrain
1 year ago#4
If you have other questions, ask away.

Red04
1 year ago#5
I appreciate it! I’m having a blast with this game and I’m super excited for GoW(4)!

MrTinkertrain
1 year ago#6
>excited for Nu-GoW
It isn't GoW gameplay, so I've no interest in it (not unlike asking an original RE veteran about RE4 or RE4-RE6 player about RE7).

>having a blast
If you should ever wish to seek mastery, I can assist with this.

Red04
1 year ago#7
I see what you mean. I’m a huge longtime RE fan since RE2, I wasn’t too keen on the more action-oriented approach even though ironically I do consider RE4 one of the best games ever made and I really liked RE5.

RE6 however was all over the place imo but it’s a nice arcade-style experience not to be taken too seriously imo.

I absolutely loved RE7, especially when the creepy backstory about the girl unfolded.

Back to this franchise and while/if you’re “on the line” so to speak, would you as a classic GoW fan (if I may say so) recommend GoW Ascension or would you say that it’s unnecessary story-wise?
Also, in your opinion, would playing all the prequels positively enrich/flesh out/improve the overall story arc or ruin the story of the trilogy by adding way too much storytelling and new plots?

Regarding mastery, I have no doubt in my mind that you can provide me with this.
I think I’m doing well though, I often time my attacks, evade larger rushing enemies and block lesser enemies’ attacks just at the right time for Kratos to perform his counter attack whatever it is called.
I mainly use the BoE, in part because of symbolic or iconic reasons but also because I’m most familiar with it since the first instalment.
I’ve read about “claws” that are supposed to be really good that also don’t need to be upgraded, what do you say about this? I haven’t reached that point yet though.

MrTinkertrain
1 year ago#8
>wasn't too keen
Nor should you be (regardless of the quality of the new thing). It tends to mean no more of the original formula. Castlevania is another franchise that has an original formula, then kept finding itself changed (though getting some titles for most along the way, I believe they stopped with the classic **only for some other game coming out in a week or so to fill the gap**). Being a side-story (canon or not) with its own style is one thing, but it is a bitter pill to swallow that things move forward without the original gameplay genre (of that specific flavor). Just lessened with the sugar that is returns to form (as RE sometimes enjoys to varying degrees).

>RE6
RE5 already took the RE4 idea and forced co-op on it as I recall. RE6 just went further with it (even more characters with their gimmicks) while increasing Action still more.

>RE7
Then this new form was released (dialing action back a bit while working from first-person). I'd be amused if RE8 and RE9 follow that same form while forcing in co-op and heavy Action gain only for a hypothetical RE10 to do something totally different (solidifying the numbered entries changing the identity after three games of a given type). But I'm not too fussed about all that (one for RE4 and RE7 not upsetting me *seem good*) and two for not being a series fan (haven't played any of them beyond lightly sampling RE2 and a s***ty demo for RE5 *I think*).

>recommend for story
I don't recommend anything for story. Not in video games. Least of all in 'Action'. No, GoW's story was merely made for the same reason Mario saves a Princess (something to explain why you're doing things for those that care). They wanted to do their own 'Sword and Sandal' tribute title. The lead being inspired by American History X *when Jaffe decided he wanted him to be brutal*). The needs for the gameplay led to the sketching (on a napkin during lunch) of the chain blade idea. The revenge plot is just a simple motivator. That Kratos repeats it (rather than fixing things or just killing the one truly at fault *he at least attempted it in GoW1*) is just a way to keep the tone/motivation that suits that gameplay. He needs to be a raging maniac, one-man army on a mission to kill all in his way for it to be 'GoW'. Nu-GoW is such a grave affront for doing all it could to bastardize franchise identity (to the extent of being a canon sequel and a soft reboot using just "God of War" *the ultimate piss-off**).

As for gameplay, GoW:A is a good way to (after learning the others, in particular) find yourself not wanting to play anymore of GoW proper (many vets were driven away just from my reports on what was in store for us as the devs were made to be honest about multi-player being the real focus at the expense of the base *taking advantage of ignorant casuals who wouldn't know better or keep up like my eldest brother though I did try to warn him about it and Nu-GoW*, more still left the community after playing the released game and Nu-GoW brought none of them back while just angering those that remained). It has pros, but far, far more cons. Is it a 'good game'? Serviceable, sure. It isn't a great GoW entry (beneath even CoO *boring as that one can be for being too simple and easy oftentimes* while not counting Betrayal). It is quite flawed. Personally leaves a bad taste in my mouth as I did all I could to warn the devs away from some of their bad decisions along the way, but was ignored and eventually blocked after embarrassing Papy (who shamed himself further right afterwards by proving my point *he didn't know how to explain their trash new 'rage' and had to differ to another who also barely knew how to articulate what they had done*).

MrTinkertrain
1 year ago#9
There are some ideas that had potential, realizations of old things they couldn't get to in previous entries, etc. Things worth seeing (along with the many failures *how-not-to territory*). GoWIII was meant to have Angel Arms (Bayo), so GoW:A realized this with GoW:A. Execution was flawed as in the earliest demo they were stupid OP (infinite projectile you could stay in the air forever with, stunlocking machines, etc.). They snapped back into trash territory despite our attempts to not only point this out, but offered measured nerfs. Fortunately, Shield WW wasn't in the multiplayer or demos, so they forgot to ruin it (thus it is incredible even despite the game not letting you upgrade the things by any means). But enough on that (for now). If your focus is story, GoWII and GoWIII are enough, frankly. GoW:A adds unnecessary confusion about his nightmares, antics of Ares, feats of Kratos, etc. (messing with the feel of things in a negative way). CoO will explain some dialogue in GoWII and GoWIII, but isn't worth much even with a particular interaction in a certain realm of the Underworld. GoS muddies things with the 'father' line (retconning GoWII only to be ignored in GoWIII) and extra motivations that we didn't need (muh mum and the s***ty realization of the unwanted 'brother arc'). This without considering how Erinys is the name of the Furies (who are individually used in GoW:A almost like a do-over for their previous blunder *to mess it up in new ways*). No, the story is bad enough with just the main trilogy. But that isn't the reason I play (nor recommend the franchise).

>mastery
There is a lot more to this than you might realize. We can go over a fight or so, some mechanics, etc. to give a better idea (even before proper run work).

>mostly BoE
That's the trapping. While the default tends to be fine (or just the best *GoW1, for instance*), people are most likely to stick with what they are familiar with and have invested in (aside from it being a jack-of-all with speed, reach, coverage and sometimes even power while having the most access to mechanics, generally *Artemis gums up grab access, for instance*). In CoO, stuns were broken and GoZ was a stun machine while enjoying free access to grabs (no need to switch *complicating things*), having vastly more dps and a full moveset (not just nearly so *secondary*). It is almost objectively better in every regard (certainly not appearance as it is a giant oven mit that doesn't come up outside that entry despite apparently being something Zeus used to augment his strength while chaining up the titans in Tartarus, but whatever). In GoS, the AoS is supposedly something Kratos used (the game is full of s*** as Captain Kratos was a goof riding on horseback *odd for this time in Sparta* who rarely used a shield *not very Spartan, but then these boys are shown using flaming arrows and probably have siege weapons in the GoW version so far removed from historical accuracy* while trying to use what looked like a short sword *good luck reaching f*** all, Crate*). Whatever. It was another great weapon that the version of Blades we start with can't compete with (even with Thera's Bane only being for them). Projectiles of many sorts on demand, insta-s***ter on frozen/petrified foes, mobile blocking (block attacks), special canceling, just release charged moves (extra damage and hit properties), etc. Stronger with more range and similar speed. Not as flashy, but better.

MrTinkertrain
1 year ago#10
Without getting too much into every entry, let's return to GoWIII (what you're currently working with *in particular, your choice of focus*). BoE is a good call as AoS (abbreviations competing against each other between entries is a small problem as you may already be seeing aside from redubbing things or taking old names) is the best spell (another vanilla AoE type with i-frames and plenty of damage *even has the mashing upgrade for more damage, hits, reach, hit properties, etc.*). Its CG is the most reliable (though between the two at lvl1, Whips are stronger *really should have had a tirade extension for their version*). Cestus glitches way too much (and not always in good ways). CoH is unfinished in this regard (should have pulled out souls on kill to add them to our summon list *the original plan* and otherwise been the origin of Tether while having an option off it for tearing orbs off foes in a vulnerable mashing mini-game mostly for HP though also some MP or even the rare RP depending on the case*). Arguably not a move that should even work on things without souls, but whatever.

Getting back to spells, Soul Summon can be good, but is overly complex (and often too easy to be inefficient with) for newcomers. This while petrification took a hit (needs an exploit to be effective *same problem in GoS*). Whips have a projectile version of non-MAX CR (no orb explosion for knockback and not quite as powerful). GoS had something similar to that, too (while giving orbs and obscuring our vision as it sucks foes into it). Shouldn't have made it scale with Power % (though sometimes a neat thing). Speaking of which, Cestus has a spell that does just that (so it is worth less on VH than the others for taking a hit to cost efficiency *still has the Onyx breaking crutch though*).

BoE have the lowest base damage of any weapon, but the largest growth (to the point it manages to be competitive with MAX Whips and MAX Cestus *both only growing to 140% while CoH goes to 225%*) at 300% (which is pretty normal as 3.0 is what modifiers are supposed to cap at *GoW1 BoC cap at 4.0 before their CotG version goes to 5.0 just to take the piss*). The specials in this entry aren't too bad for it (some times and places for them though I don't tend to recommend them outside maybe air TR lvl2 over a large group or on a big target such that we get stuck above them for a continuous freefall of slaps). Whips specials add more to it (and tirades being extended mostly makes up for the low growth from the high base). Cestus has bad growth from good base with pretty meh specials. CoH has a decent held input (amusing if not always good), but the normals are the stars (good base and decent growth). GoW:A even lifts the CoH launcher (T) for the lvl3+ BoC. Sadly, they don't also improve air t1 to make it able to be air t1 and air t2 of CoH (which would be a huge boon even if locked away behind the trash rage mechanic), but you can't win them all, eh? Same for not having an upgraded unlock for held input that can use the ground-to-air grab (OH) on even foes not ready to be grabbed (if they have an OH). If that meant on-demand CG on Siren Sibyls, that would be cute. Given how nerfed most grabs are in that entry, I suppose it would just be another cute extra (sadly).
  1. Boards
  2. God of War III
  3. Magic power up question
  • Topic Archived